XClutch Twin Disc Review & Installation (6MT N54)

GGMR2T

Private
May 31, 2018
Ride
2007 E90 335i 6mt
Ok whew, you had me scared there for a second haha! I’m not sure if I could handle much worse!

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
That I can’t comment on. Switching to an organic has been recommended, but I’ve already replaced this clutch twice and am not spending another thousand dollars and doing the job again without driving one first. I also feel like I got screwed because I ordered the organic and was shipped the ceramic. This was all back when the clutch was first introduced to market. Not sure if any of you remember all of the snafus around that launch.

Who did you order from, xclutch or mfactory?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Who did you order from, xclutch or mfactory?
Yeah, my Spec clutch was ordered through Motiv and then replaced by Spec after the “recall”, but they sent the wrong one, as they weren’t actually making the organic yet, but we’re already selling it.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
If you don't mind risking of thrust bearing failure and the extra labour use the factory one and there will be no noise when you press the clutch in

I prefer the metal bearing and a tiny bit of noise dont bother me much.

Those factory TOB are crap especially when doing mostly city driving as I've seen them basically fall apart after 20k when heavier than normal pressure plate has been used.

They do quiet down just have patience guys.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
If you don't mind risking of thrust bearing failure and the extra labour use the factory one and there will be no noise when you press the clutch in

Those factory TOB are crap especially when doing mostly city driving as I've seen them basically fall apart after 20k when heavier than normal pressure plate has been used.

That’s interesting. I reused the oem tob and haven’t had issues...granted I’ve put very few miles on it compared to most with these cars.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Im not saying it will, just saying mine has and I used a new one.

Might be a hit and miss with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DASN54

GGMR2T

Private
May 31, 2018
Ride
2007 E90 335i 6mt

I would rather live with a little noise, especially hearing that they eventually quiet down, and have the piece of mind that it's more stout than a stock TOB and less prone to failure. On another note I took the car for another drive yesterday, currently sitting at around 200 mls, and it is for sure getting better with take off engagement. Whether I'm learning how to drive a clutch again (after 30 years driving manuals haha!) or it's getting easier to slip. I did not get any violent bucking like I have been, just some "chatter" for lack of a better description. I also wonder though if engagement changes with heat. It almost seems like the hotter it gets, the more it wants to grab rather than slip. It was a cooler day yesterday, so I don't know if that had any effect. I also plan to replace my fluid today with some factory oil so I will report back with changes on that. Otherwise, still loving everything else about this clutch.

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
FYI - XClutch commented on my YouTube video about the clutch.

"Great video and thanks for putting this together to give people some further understanding of how the kits are to drive. We are the parent company of XClutch and just thought we would let you know that the metallic sound that you can hear when the clutch is pressed is actually the intermediate plate moving around rather than the throw out bearing . This is perfectly normal for this style of twin plate as the intermediate plate is floating, so no need to worry about that."

So if I'm reading this correctly, that means the metal TOB has nothing to do with the metallic whirring noise when the clutch is depressed.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Just for a data point my Spec 3+ w/ LW flywheel and OEM TOB has been fine for 30k+ miles. I am expecting the clutch to give out with my ST any day but it keeps holding the power. OEM TB is good to go. I kind of wish the clutch died so I would have gotten in on the group buy and have a clutch pedal that is not so heavy.

That being said I would go with the Metal TOB as martymil suggested. At this power level a bit of noise is nothing vs. reliability and it looks like XClutch does not believe the sound comes from the TOB but the intermediate plate as suspenceful wrote above. Metal TOB seems to be the way to go.

Last edited:

GGMR2T

Private
May 31, 2018
Ride
2007 E90 335i 6mt

"Great video and thanks for putting this together to give people some further understanding of how the kits are to drive. We are the parent company of XClutch and just thought we would let you know that the metallic sound that you can hear when the clutch is pressed is actually the intermediate plate moving around rather than the throw out bearing . This is perfectly normal for this style of twin plate as the intermediate plate is floating, so no need to worry about that."

So if I'm reading this correctly, that means the metal TOB has nothing to do with the metallic whirring noise when the clutch is depressed.

Interesting! For some reason that makes me feel even better. I would have hated to put an inferior TOB in there and have the noise anyway! As far as my fluid change, so far, so good. Having the thicker fluid seems to help with gearbox noise so far, but I have yet to drive it and get it nice and hot. That seemed to be when it made the most noise with the ATF so once weather clears up I'll take it for a rip. Which might be a few days unfortunately.

Reactions: martymil

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m

The spec twin plate is exactly the same, as they say It might be the intermediate plate moving around with the metal TOB but the factory one quietens this down a lot.

When I swapped out the TOB in the spec it went silent, never tried running the oem one with the Xclutch due to possible failure like it almost did with my spec and a
total failure with my mates car. ( I should have taken pictures, very nasty) so I didn't want to tempt it.

If its the TOB or the intermediate plate this is bar far the best clutch I've driven on the n54 platform and a little noise doesn't bother me at all because mine is almost non existant, I also run without an engine cover and with solid diff bushings.

I think it adds to the character of the car at idle but when driving all that noise disappears and it becomes the BMW it was from the factory.

It makes it sound tougher and you feel like part of the car but that's just might be in my own head, at the end of the day nothing comes even close on the n54 platform to this clutch
in terms of quality,smoothness and performance and people that have driven on it long enough will vouch for this.

Interesting! For some reason that makes me feel even better. I would have hated to put an inferior TOB in there and have the noise anyway! As far as my fluid change, so far, so good. Having the thicker fluid seems to help with gearbox noise so far, but I have yet to drive it and get it nice and hot. That seemed to be when it made the most noise with the ATF so once weather clears up I'll take it for a rip. Which might be a few days unfortunately.

I'll think what you will find that's once the oil warms up it will be better than the ATF

Last edited:

Frenchie1013

Lurker
Jun 26, 2017
Ride
335i
What’s the recommendation for fluid to use? It’s about time i change it and if a thicker one is better I’m all about it.

Frenchie1013

Lurker
Jun 26, 2017
Ride
335i
Should i have it flushed ... I think it’s lifetime fluid but I feel like it couldn’t hurt

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
No need to flush as the oil aint cheap and would be a total waste of money, go for a good drive and make sure the oil is warm to hot.

Make sure you wear gloves when you take the drain plug out to drop the oil not to burn your hands.

Reactions: Frenchie1013

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
i remembered why I ditched the metal TOB and thought I should share. After Barely 500 miles on the first spec twin disc, I found a galled up TOB when replacing the friction discs. So, I pulled that pos out and threw it in the trash. The aluminum TOBs get eaten up by the stamped steel clutch fork. There is no reason why the oem TOB should have any issues with the twin disc setups. Maybe the stage 3+ style with a much heavier pressure plate spring setup, but not on these twin discs that are barely stiffer in the pedal than stock.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus and fmorelli

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Looks like you had it on the wrong lobe, it suppose to be on the smaller one and looks like you had it on the higher one as that might have been your problem.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Looks like you had it on the wrong lobe, it suppose to be on the smaller one and looks like you had it on the higher one as that might have been your problem.
That’s not correct. Not all model years use the same lobe on the oem TOB and you’re supposed to use the same lobe on the aluminum TOB as was used on the oem plastic TOB. Also, the lobe you use will have ZERO impact on the TOB wobbling back and forth and galling the shit out of itself against the harder stamped steel clutch release fork.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus