XClutch Twin Disk - Group Buy Feeler

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
That is too bad to hear...bad clutch chatter makes cars sounds broken. Sounds like it is great to drive though.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The trick is to drive normal for the first 500miles with lots of traffic stop and starts and just taking it nice and easy.

The chatter will get quieter with time to almost non existent and compared to other brands that I had or heard its 70% less

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Use a stock thrust bearing, no noise. All clutches do the same thing when metal thrust bearing is used, gets quieter with time.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

chrisdfv

Corporal
Aug 29, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
The trick is to drive normal for the first 500miles with lots of traffic stop and starts and just taking it nice and easy.

The chatter will get quieter with time to almost non existent and compared to other brands that I had or heard its 70% less

I drove the first 500 miles easy with tons of city driving and a lot of starts.
The chatter did get better but it's still there. Its like any other aftermarket clutch I've heard so no big deal to me.
I also used the metal clutch release bearing they provided. I didn't realize you could use the stock one, but the noise isn't an issue to me.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The more you drive it should get better, my car after 3000 miles you can only hear it sometimes.

I have the early model m4 box, so it might be the difference.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Also can Chris Medows tell us how accuretely they balance the flywheel and pressureplate?
My Mfactory was 7 grams off on the flywheel and 3 grams on pressure plate. Getting it down to 1 gram reduced my NVH by good 30+%.
@martymil you may have become our defacto Down Under XClutch rep :) ... any chance you know this one?

Filippo

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I had my flywheel/pressure plate, harmonic balancer and crankshaft harmonically balanced when my engine was rebuilt.

Mind you they didn't have to touch the xclutch at all but nothing wrong in getting it checked.

Reactions: GreyNBlueE92

chrisdfv

Corporal
Aug 29, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
The more you drive it should get better, my car after 3000 miles you can only hear it sometimes.

I have the early model m4 box, so it might be the difference.

I do have a question. I bled my clutch thoroughly on install since it was a swap, and I'm sure I should bleed again after having some use.

When at a stand still, and in neutral, if I push the clutch in, I can't engage first gear or reverse right away. After a second I can get in first gear no problem and as long as I keep the clutch down, I can go in and out of first gear with no issues.

Do you think this is will be resolved by rebleeding? something that will go away with time? Bad syncros? Trans fluid?
The clutch engages pretty high so I'm not sure that it's dragging. I would say it engages 80% off the floor.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Me as well. Does anyone have the part number for the stock throwout also? Installing the organic clutch so want it to be as OE feeling/sounding as possible.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m

Don't use the bronze pin as they have failed in the past, here you go.

You can also get them in the states

frontside0815

Corporal
Nov 9, 2016
Germany
You need to understand that clutch chatter is different from car to car and that you cannot compare a N55 transmission of a 1M with the N54 transmission- we´ve sold over 30 clutches and all in all n55 transmission were way less loud concerning rattle in comparison to the n54 ones.
Also, like i said, its really different from car to car because it´s based on the condition of your gearbox as well as how smooth your engine is idling...
Then another factor is the balancing of the clutch package- we for example balance the whole thing together....

Just FYI, because i read that people keep saying "it will be quite" here when in reality you just cannot ensure that, since its really totally depending on the car and even more on the transmission which is used!

Also an engine which was fully rebuild with crankshaft and harmonic balancer etc. etc. will be 100times smoother and less loud then a stock one...

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I installed a couple of these clutches on other non built high km engines and they have been way quieter than other brands but the n54 early box is a little louder I agree.

Turning them up to 900rpm did the trick to quiet them down heaps but it won't help if you have 200k on the clock but it will be quieter than others

The thrust engagement shimmering will mostly go away after a few thousand miles.

I prefer metal over factory oem and rather put up with the noise as I seen factory ones fail and spray the clutch with grease and for warranty purposes dont expect any if your plates are covered in it.

I showed a few people my clutch and they all loved it and went that way and never looked back