XClutch Twin Disk - Group Buy Feeler

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I only use the original oil from bmw as I found it to be the best for gear changes, smoothness and noise.

A little change here and a bit there all the changes add up to lots of noise to an already noisy gearbox.

I'm actually in the process of making my own tranny mounts to be 100% bigger but be at least 20 to 50% softer.

I'm changing my guibo out to full rubber instead of the alloy one with rubber inserts which will further help the
carbon fibre driveshaft supress even more drive line noise.

My aim is to supress enough noise to be as quiet as the stock clutch but running a SMFW and a twin plate..

I hated the stock clutch as it was like butter but loved how quiet it was.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I only use the original oil from bmw as I found it to be the best for gear changes, smoothness and noise.
With a short shift kit, I've generally run Royal Purple Synchromax as it flat out has better cold shifting than factory fluid. This has been the case for the last several generations of BMW's I've owned.
A little change here and a bit there all the changes add up to lots of noise to an already noisy gearbox.
... yes ...
I'm actually in the process of making my own tranny mounts to be 100% bigger but be at least 20 to 50% softer.
Assume you've looked at the Rogue Engineering rubber transmission mounts? This problem has been solved. I honestly don't know why people buy poly trans mounts. AKG transmission mount cups can be used without increasing any NVH.
I'm changing my guibo out to full rubber instead of the alloy one with rubber inserts which will further help the carbon fibre driveshaft supress even more drive line noise.
Interesting. I was actually surprised you've not had a guibo failure issue with the transitional aluminum guibo BMW produced. I wonder how much actual NVH is further reduced with the rubber guibo versus the aluminum with rubber isolation bushings. I ask because we have a prototype aluminum guibo with isolation bushings (made out of machined 6061T5) ... pet project.
My aim is to supress enough noise to be as quiet as the stock clutch but running a SMFW and a twin plate..
And NVH stacks. I tore my car apart and put panel deadening sheets everywhere, filled voids with acoustic foam. Weight addition is nominal to the total car. Relative to NVH the car panels can contribute lots of noise. This approach reduces the cumulative NVH. My goal has been to build the car out and still be able to take my wife for an hour drive. It's a good target constraint, and got me to address NVH overall. But reducing NVH stack is a good idea in general.

Filippo

bsloss13

Dec 21, 2018
Ride
2009 335i e92 M-Sport Le Mans
Sent MFactory a message, I want in!! Ready to pay. Organic n54 6-bolt please.

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
did you turn up the idle to 900rpm, it virtually goes silent with an occasional rattle here and there ?

I put mine at 800RPM and it's quiet with a little rattle here and there.

+1 I’m at about 100 mls now and concur with all this. The consensus seems to be that the more it breaks in, the easier the take offs and less noise from the TOB. I hope all that comes to fruition because I love everything else about it. On a side note I am getting some tranny noise, but I also switched to red line atf D6 at the same time so I’m not sure if that’s allowing more noise to come from the rotating assembly or what, but it’s not terrible. I’m running E46 M3 tranny mounts fwiw.

I am now at a bit over 550miles. There is no difference on the TOB noise. Taking off seems to be a bit better but still shitty... have to give it a bit of gas every time otherwise it stalls. With the stock clutch I wouldn't give gas at all.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Turn it up to 900 rpm and the take offs will be a little easier, 550miles is still like new you need at least 1k to 1.5k of stop and start traffic to see significant reductions in noise but as I reported that's with a organic, ceramic is a bitch to drive and is not recommended for street use but can be so don't expect much if its a little grabby.

If you ever driven with other twin plates this clutch is an actual dream to drive on compared.

Frenchie1013

Lurker
Jun 26, 2017
Ride
335i
I’m at 350 miles and my organic is very very streetable It gets easier by the day. I barely give it any gas when I start. Can’t wait until it’s fully broken in

GGMR2T

Private
May 31, 2018
Ride
2007 E90 335i 6mt
I will switch back to factory oil and see if that helps with the transmission clatter. I'm sure it will. The only reason I changed was because I was getting grinding on hard shifts, but it was probably because of other factors like a worn out pivot pin or worn stock clutch or something. I think the hardest part for me was a combination of grabbier clutch in conjunction with the higher engagement. It's like I'm learning how to drive stick all over again LOL! Just have to instill that new muscle memory haha!

Reactions: martymil

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Turn it up to 900 rpm and the take offs will be a little easier, 550miles is still like new you need at least 1k to 1.5k of stop and start traffic to see significant reductions in noise but as I reported that's with a organic, ceramic is a bitch to drive and is not recommended for street use but can be so don't expect much if its a little grabby.

If you ever driven with other twin plates this clutch is an actual dream to drive on compared.

It seems to be getting a bit better now for take-offs finally. Hopefully the TOB noise goes down a bit. And yea I agree it's pretty easy compared to other clutches out there. It's crazy how the pedal seems to be exactly the same as OEM except it bites quite a bit higher than OEM.

Reactions: martymil

Dreyo27

Corporal
Nov 28, 2016
Sacramento
Ride
2007 335i 2008 535i
To those of you guys that installed it. What is this spigot bearing, and where does it go?

Attachments

• 20190509_161132.jpg
    20190509_161132.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 54

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
I think the hardest part for me was a combination of grabbier clutch in conjunction with the higher engagement. It's like I'm learning how to drive stick all over again LOL! Just have to instill that new muscle memory haha!

I second this. I haven't stalled it yet, but man I get some rough starts sometimes. Clutch grabs like a beast and the engagement window being so small and at the top of the pedal doesn't help. Nothing I can't get used to over time though.

Frenchie1013

Lurker
Jun 26, 2017
Ride
335i
I second this. I haven't stalled it yet, but man I get some rough starts sometimes. Clutch grabs like a beast and the engagement window being so small and at the top of the pedal doesn't help. Nothing I can't get used to over time though.
I stalled twice in a week. Hadn’t stalled a car in over 10 years before this haha. All good though, I’m used to it now

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Definitely these clutches take some time to get use to just like all twin plates but once you learn, it teaches you how to
be a better/smoother driver as the take offs and shifts can be very unforgiving especially with the ceramic if not done properly.

Definitely one of if not the best twin plate available today for our cars as I've driven on most of them over the years.

Frenchie1013

Lurker
Jun 26, 2017
Ride
335i
Once I’m going I shift better with this clutch than any other car I’ve driven with a manual. The engagement is amazingly easy to me. My starts are the only thing I need to perfect but soon enough
This clutch is great imho

MFactory

Corporal
Oct 25, 2016
UPDATE

Just got confirmation there that the stock will be arriving and processed into the system over the next few days and will then be shipping out to all those who have pre-ordered.

Because of this, I have now set the end date for the pre-order pricing to Sunday 19th May. From the 20th May onwards, the pricing will go back up to MSRP.

If you have not already pre-ordered and would like to do so, please PM me asap.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Heck yeah! Still hoping they ship out asap this week, so i can get this bad larry broken in this weekend!