xDrive35d engine vibration / loss of power

tdi520

Oct 2, 2020
Went to buy a 2012 BMW x5 xdrive35d today, everything seemed good until I was driving it home at 80-90mph. A slight vibration started when accelerating or going up hills. Then it got worse to the place that the vehicle was actually shaking under load. Vibration reminded me of a bad carrier bearing or similar driveshaft issue. I decided to give it full throttle to see what would happen -- vibration actually stopped but power between 3500 and 4000 was way down. Definitely felt like a limp mode.

Engine light finally came on and I took it back to the dealer I bought it from. They are going to check it out over the weekend and offered to cancel the deal if I'm not satisfied for whatever reason.

When I got back to the dealer, there was a slight vibration when revving in neutral along with a bit of a ticking sound (everything sounded normal before I left). Unfortunately, I didn't have a scanner with me and don't know what the codes are (will be asking as soon as the dealer knows something). My guess is the infamous #5 or #6 injector failing, but didn't see any normal bad injector symptoms, ie excessive smoke.

Any ideas what the failure is? Should I run away immediately?

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Could also be a clogged up fuel filter. It is most likely something fuel system related though.

tdi520

Oct 2, 2020
Could also be a clogged up fuel filter. It is most likely something fuel system related though.

Fuel filter / contamination sounds like a pretty good guess. I take it there's a sensor in the fuel filter that would get tripped if there's water or a lack of flow in the fuel filter?

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Fuel filter / contamination sounds like a pretty good guess. I take it there's a sensor in the fuel filter that would get tripped if there's water or a lack of flow in the fuel filter?
I don't believe there is any sensors in or on the fuel filter it's a inline filter that is not that hard to change.