xHP Flashtool - 6HP21/28 TCU cracked

Begood69

Corporal
Nov 13, 2016
Fayetteville, NC
Ride
335i N54 Predator 3.2L stroker
I would luv the extra RPMs.. 7500-8000 range ld b amazing.. that with my 1100 hp engine would b the total beast if the tranny can handle the tq...
looking forward to it!! How the files bought thru the app are affordable too..
good job guys..

Reactions: RSTECH

RayBan

Corporal
Oct 27, 2016
www.rbttuning.com
This is amazing!
My transmission slips like no tomorrow at 34#

What TQ are we talking about? It seems there is some decent leftover on the 6HP21, but as this evolved out of the Diesel sector, I haven't investigated too much until now. The common Diesel trans is the 6HP26/28 and holds 700 Nm (or approx. 500 lb.ft.) easily. The gasoline ones are weaker. What I can say from map comparison, is that the Alpina trans maps end at 540 Nm(or 400 lb.ft.), where as the diesel maps stretch to 500 lb.ft. So this is the area, where OEMs decided to control the clutches. Anyhting above, is treated as "out of control". Not necessarily bad, but at least they decided to not handle this TQ in the stock maps.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
What TQ are we talking about? It seems there is some decent leftover on the 6HP21, but as this evolved out of the Diesel sector, I haven't investigated too much until now. The common Diesel trans is the 6HP26/28 and holds 700 Nm (or approx. 500 lb.ft.) easily. The gasoline ones are weaker. What I can say from map comparison, is that the Alpina trans maps end at 540 Nm(or 400 lb.ft.), where as the diesel maps stretch to 500 lb.ft. So this is the area, where OEMs decided to control the clutches. Anyhting above, is treated as "out of control". Not necessarily bad, but at least they decided to not handle this TQ in the stock maps.

So is it possible to extend those maps out? And would this solve any problems like post shift timing drops?

Reactions: Jerry

RayBan

Corporal
Oct 27, 2016
www.rbttuning.com
So is it possible to extend those maps out? And would this solve any problems like post shift timing drops?

Yes, that's no problem. Probably upping the torque limiters alone will cure some problems. AFAIK some guys trick the TCU with fake torque values from the ECU to stay under this limiters. This alone is a problem and we have to see how the transmissions behave with correct TQ signals.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Yes, that's no problem. Probably upping the torque limiters alone will cure some problems. AFAIK some guys trick the TCU with fake torque values from the ECU to stay under this limiters. This alone is a problem and we have to see how the transmissions behave with correct TQ signals.

Yes, I think that things will get much better once those values are actually correct. I hope.

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
Pretty cool, any concerns about decreasing reliability?
Has to, but that's the cost of going fast sometimes... I've heard tuners blame TCU flashes for "letting the motor spin to fast" and that caused the motor failure... Almost wish I had a 6AT now... Still glad I got the 6MT tho :p

Reactions: 9krpmrx8

RayBan

Corporal
Oct 27, 2016
www.rbttuning.com
Has to, but that's the cost of going fast sometimes... I've heard tuners blame TCU flashes for "letting the motor spin to fast" and that caused the motor failure... Almost wish I had a 6AT now... Still glad I got the 6MT tho :p

Reliability is not straightforward regarding transmission tunes. If you're running a lot of boost and the transmission starts to slip while engaged, which probably can be cured by a tune the opposite happens. A tune increases reliabilty, rather then decreasing it.

In general it's not always "tuning" in terms of going more aggressive. A lot of things can be tweaked to how the driver prefers them to be, but have nothing to do with reliability. Think about shift points. Some want shifts as early as possible, others want the opposite. Nothing good or bad about that, it's just personal liking. Or TCC slip. The stock calibration lets the transmission slip a lot with modulated TCC pressure. Personally i hate slip, so I configured the TCC to stay closed as long as possible. Less slip equals less wear in that case. On the other side, if someone wants the fastest shifts possible and likes torque punches on each shift (like a lot of the DCT transmissions do it in Sport Mode) it will of course wear out the clutch packs in the long run. All I can say is, that no OTS map we will be delivering will test the limits. We will do our best, to deliver safe and reliable tunes for everyday use.

I have lot's of BMW files and various Alpina calibrations here and investigated them thouroughly. Additionally my own car will have a few 1000 miles with the tune on it, when we will release in February. And of course, my car is the main development bitch, which has probably 100+ full throttle launches on it right now. :)