1. Login to disable the Ads!

E89 Z4 Track-ready Sleeper Build

Discussion in 'BMW Z' started by Asbjorn, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Asbjorn

Asbjorn Private

Ride:
    Z4 N54 DCT
    Who can guess what is happening this week? :sweatsmile:

2040255818.jpg

1134635811.jpg

2. Asbjorn

Asbjorn Private

Ride:
    Z4 N54 DCT
    Next step: Custom tuning

The car is now running perfectly with the new hardware, and in combination with the original ESS 15psi (peak) tune. Therefore I am ready to do a custom track-ready tune. I ordered the precision raceworks ignition and one step colder NGK 95770 spark plugs (.020" gap), and intend on tuning the car for Chinese RON 98 / 92 octane fuel together with BQ tuning who knows the Z4 DCT well.

VTT states the GC lites can handle 18-21psi on the track for a long time, while 24-25psi should be a good range if power is the main priority. Based on this I would love to target 19-20psi, but according to BQ tuning Chinese fuel may be a limiting factor. Therefore I conclude:

Current: 14-15psi peak (great for longivity on oem turbos (similar to 35is overboost), but way too easy for the GC lites)
    Realistic goal: 17-18psi
    Dream goal for track-readiness: 19-20psi (but may require better fuel / injection)
    GC lites sweet spot: 24-25psi (but not for +30min track sessions)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  3. fmorelli

fmorelli Lieutenant

Ride:
    E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
    I am very interested to see how this works out, and what you and Dimitri figure out about the fuel there. Please post your datazap account URL when you guys get going. Great build. Good luck and keep us posted!

Filippo

4. Asbjorn

Asbjorn Private

Ride:
    Z4 N54 DCT
    So did a couple of quick slides with the new quaife lsd, and my impression is that it locks more quickly compared to the brake-assisted OEM system. It also feels more predictable and smooth on drift exit. Loving it so far, but wont get to try it on the track until the end of this month.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Asbjorn

Asbjorn Private

Ride:
    Z4 N54 DCT
    Alright, what we did this week was installing the SSP DCT oil cooler kit, which included a baffled DCT oil pan.

Clipboard08.jpg

I opted for brand new DCT oil, filter and gasket. The gasket is known to start leaking with time, and has already been replaced once on this car.

Clipboard03.jpg

The kit also came with an oil pump and huge black cooler

Clipboard04.jpg

Here's an overview of the complete nose job

Clipboard07.jpg

We also installed a flip switch hidden inside the tray on the left side of the steering wheel. It controls both the pump for the auxiliary engine oil cooler and the dct oil cooler. No changes were done to the DME software.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

6. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Sergeant

Ride:
    Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
    Liking that DCT oil cooler!

7. Asbjorn

Asbjorn Private

Ride:
    Z4 N54 DCT
    Custom tuning has started, and you can follow the progress here:

https://datazap.me/u/asbjoern/

I have never logged by car before, and I am certainly no expert on analyzing these.

8. Lurcher

Lurcher Lurker

Ride:
    2012 z4
    Any pictures of the baffles inside the tranny pan? That's a work of art..

9. aus335iguy

aus335iguy Lieutenant

Ride:
    335i DCT 2009
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List