ZF6HP19-21 High Performance Friction Brochure

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
How does a 17% increase in dynamic friction coefficient for the new G3 material correlate to increased max torque? Does max torque also go up 17%? (I would think so.)

What about longevity? Same, higher or lower as OEM? Any tests to support this conclusion? For example, do an apples to apples comparison of an OEM versus a G3 material transmission over 10K miles: tear down and inspect, etc.

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
How does a 17% increase in dynamic friction coefficient for the new G3 material correlate to increased max torque? Does max torque also go up 17%? (I would think so.)

What about longevity? Same, higher or lower as OEM? Any tests to support this conclusion? For example, do an apples to apples comparison of an OEM versus a G3 material transmission over 10K miles: tear down and inspect, etc.
I dont think a PD transmission has been in a car for 10k miles yet. There is an intensive amoubt of information on the holding power of the G3 compared to stock on the main thread. Also, comparing "apples to apples" for OEM vs PD lobgetivity would need to be on the same car making the same power for the exact same amount of time.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
08, makes sense. I guess I started thinking about a serious business opportunity for PD: the real possibility that they may be able to convince ZF to buy or license their G3-based parts for OEM transmissions. PD would clearly need to do this type of longevity testing to convince ZF to sign on.
(Jason - PM me if you'd like to talk about technology licensing deals - that's my main gig when I'm not modding my 335xi)

Reactions: 08_335i

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT

Jeff,

The 17% increase in friction coefficient combined with the increase in friction plates in each drum correlates to a mathematical clamping force increase of roughly 30% over the stock configuration. This is a bit on the conservative side to protect the engineering factor of safety we have built in for increased clutch longevity. As a result, we have rated this upgrade for ~700wtq.

Regarding longevity, the Durability graph shows the side-by-side comparison of the G3 to the OEM friction material. You can clearly see that this is where the G3 really shines compared to the stock material. This mainly has to do with the carbon component of the material, which has excellent thermal rejection properties.

The SAE J2487 Friction Test is an industrial standard testing battery that tests the Dynamic Friction Coefficient, Durability and Shift Quality of friction materials. I have plotted the G3 vs the OEM material testing results in all 3 tests to clearly show the improvements.

I hope that answers your questions.

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
I love the marketing-driven last chart, starting at the bottom at 0.99 and 1.01 at the top. Heavily zoomed in for dramatization haha.

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
I love the marketing-driven last chart, starting at the bottom at 0.99 and 1.01 at the top. Heavily zoomed in for dramatization haha.

Yeah that was my fault. Wasn't meant as an exaggeration. I just jacked the graph scale up and have been too lazy to go back and fix it. lol