1spool

Dec 31, 2018
Ride
ST e92 335xi
Reviving this thread;
in February I reached out to Turbo Lamik who told me a custom TCU will be sold to the public "in a few months"-- a few months later they are not responding to facebook messages and I can't speak to them on the phone due to the language barrier. Pretty much back to square one. Would love to hear some positive news from someone else... the zf8 is still sitting in my garage collecting dust.

Reactions: RSTECH

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Had to quote cause doubt you will ever make a typo I catch again let alone a classic one like that.
I switched to Swift key from Fleksy. Trying really hard to like it, but Fleksy is just faster at corrections and more accurate.

Prophet

May 5, 2019
Ride
B9 Audi A4!
Sidebar:

Anyone ever swap in a Tremec Magnum manual transmission?...Something that will handle the diesel?

RSTECH

Lurker
Nov 28, 2016
New York
Reviving this thread;
in February I reached out to Turbo Lamik who told me a custom TCU will be sold to the public "in a few months"-- a few months later they are not responding to facebook messages and I can't speak to them on the phone due to the language barrier. Pretty much back to square one. Would love to hear some positive news from someone else... the zf8 is still sitting in my garage collecting dust.
I'm in the same boat as you, currently my lci e90 335xi has the motor out, sending to get built soon, I really wish I can put this tranny since I'm shooting for 800+

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
Would love to see this happen as well, one would think why is this not a more common swap. With my E61 being a daily and putting an a ST this would be deal as i don't want to do a MT swap.

With that being said @1spool have you looked into the Transfer case, any similarities from the E84 that might be able to handle more hp/tq?

Reactions: RSTECH

RSTECH

Lurker
Nov 28, 2016
New York
Would love to see this happen as well, one would think why is this not a more common swap. With my E61 being a daily and putting an a ST this would be deal as i don't want to do a MT swap.

With that being said @1spool have you looked into the Transfer case, any similarities from the E84 that might be able to handle more hp/tq?
Yup or we can also look into the bigger brothers of the zf8 and see it they bolt up, even if we have to get costume drive shafts to the rear and front diffs from dss, we really aren't seeing big issues with the factory tcase, I also spoke to a company that makes parts for tcase on the 7 sec 1,200-1,500 awhp honda k series civics and they said once I'm ready to contact them and see what they can do for me, they have rebuilt our tcase so they aren't new to them.

Reactions: island road

Alexandru

Oct 30, 2021
Hello guys,
Trying to revive the thread.
I'm close to starting a bmw f01 project, and the 2nd thing to do would be a swap from zf6hp to 8hp.

Did anyone complete the swap?

Best regards,
Alexandru

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Hello guys,
Trying to revive the thread.
I'm close to starting a bmw f01 project, and the 2nd thing to do would be a swap from zf6hp to 8hp.

Did anyone complete the swap?

Best regards,
Alexandru
It's been done I believe but we need people to share details. Be sure to post up your progress

tesnion90

Sep 5, 2023
Hi everyone and Happy New Year!
I drive a single turbo (6266) e92 335xi fitted with the infamously sluggish zf6hp19 6-speed auto that can't hold power, and it's slipping with only 18psi. Instead of doing a rebuild or swapping to a manual (it's my daily and I live in busy NYC) I thought of doing a zf8hp45 swap from an e84 x1.
I can't confirm this, but it seems that the e90 and the e84 are essentially the same chassis, the e84 just having an suv body sitting on it. I came across a thread where this swap was discussed in Australia in early 2018 but they never followed up in regards to whether it worked or not.
This swap would be a great solution as the zf6 is rated to hold 295ftlb but people report them starting to slip only around 450ftlb, so applying the same 50% increase to the zf8hp45's claimed limit of 450ftlb (ZF's claim) would mean that in practice it can hold up to approx. 675ftlb.

Here is what a week's worth of research revealed:
- zf6hp19 and zf8hp45's bell housing are identical
- e92 & e84 driveshafts (front and rear) are identical, same part #
- e92 & e84 torque converters are identical, same part #
- e92 & e84 CAN control unit is identical, same part #
- e92 & e84 TCUs are identical, same part #
- Zf8's are VIN locked, which may present an issue. A tuning company I spoke to said it should not be too difficult to get around that

I spoke to xHP about this project and they said that since the zf8 is VIN locked, it communicates with the FEM and the DME before starting to operate, saying this swap would require a different CANBUS architecture.

I would love to get your insight on this project, I am pretty set on making this happen but my knowledge of electrical vehicular communications and how that sort of stuff works is very limited. I'll be posting this thread on the other forums as well. All feedback would be really appreciated. View attachment 21452

**Please don't suggest a manual swap; it makes no sense to manual swap a car that is rolled off the assembly line with a manual...**
hi,have you solved this task?

fivesfe

Sep 7, 2023
I am doing the same, picked up the transmission recently, just finished up a complete service and turbo upgrade. For reference I just purchased my first 335i about 2 months ago so I may not be the most useful for information.

The torque converters arent all the same, you want a flat faced torque converter(not the curved mounting points)
I am going with CanTCU which is essentially a translator between your stock TCU and the trans.
CanTCU sells a PNP harness but also a DIY harness
You'll need an Idrive or DCT shifter
Trans cooling lines are different thread/sizes but there are adapters.
XHP works with this method

I was able to get my transmission and torque converter with 80k for less than 500 picked up locally. I figure ill be in this for about 2k after fluid and all the other nic nacs doing all the work myself.

tesnion90

Sep 5, 2023
I am doing the same, picked up the transmission recently, just finished up a complete service and turbo upgrade. For reference I just purchased my first 335i about 2 months ago so I may not be the most useful for information.

The torque converters arent all the same, you want a flat faced torque converter(not the curved mounting points)
I am going with CanTCU which is essentially a translator between your stock TCU and the trans.
CanTCU sells a PNP harness but also a DIY harness
You'll need an Idrive or DCT shifter
Trans cooling lines are different thread/sizes but there are adapters.
XHP works with this method

I was able to get my transmission and torque converter with 80k for less than 500 picked up locally. I figure ill be in this for about 2k after fluid and all the other nic nacs doing all the work myself.
currently, "cantcu" seems to be the best solution, but it would be great if we could find a way to achieve OEM compatibility without the need for a protocol translator.