N54 Don’t wanna blow up my car.

IanBennett

Lurker
Mar 2, 2023
How does this look, just want some input on it. Thank you.

Attachments

• IJE0S Ian Tune.bin
    2 MB · Views: 27

Asmo

Private
Aug 23, 2020
Just don't.. Buy mhd maps, they are really cheap and will perform magnitudes better than this.

IanBennett

Lurker
Mar 2, 2023
Just don't.. Buy mhd maps, they are really cheap and will perform magnitudes better than this.
that doesn’t teach you anything. I find it fun to tinker with stuff, so I was just asking for someone to overlook the map and tell me how it looks.

Asmo

Private
Aug 23, 2020
You tweaked p factor badly. Your boost ceiling stepping is stupid, you are going to get a jerky car on upshift at certain rpm, fueling is terrible, load and boost control terrible as well, it will never reach the target. Your load scaling won't work. What else?

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

IanBennett

Lurker
Mar 2, 2023
You tweaked p factor badly. Your boost ceiling stepping is stupid, you are going to get a jerky car on upshift at certain rpm, fueling is terrible, load and boost control terrible as well, it will never reach the target. Your load scaling won't work. What else?
Well continue informing me, I am very interesting in learning. My p factor is from the 1M. And how should I change the rest of that stuff then.

IanBennett

Lurker
Mar 2, 2023
Not used to that boost by gear business, more of a set it and done thing. Like with older boost controllers. Hi target and low target.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
It's good to tune your own car and understand what's going on but copying tables without understanding their purpose is pointless.

Best to start with your stock bin and modify from there. The file your currently working with is a mess.
Most of the MHD+ tables aren't useful and personally I would just ignore them, it was done to attract the people the social media types.

The best way to understand what to change is to compare a low power vs high lower N54 tune (335i vs 1M for example) and look at the changes that BMW made. You can also look at some of the publicly available tunes and note the timing and fuel tables as that is an area where you can pick up extra power. From memory the 335is had a more sensible fuel table so that would be another good reference.

• Agree
Reactions: jzx_andy and wheela

IanBennett

Lurker
Mar 2, 2023
It's good to tune your own car and understand what's going on but copying tables without understanding their purpose is pointless.

Best to start with your stock bin and modify from there. The file your currently working with is a mess.
Most of the MHD+ tables aren't useful and personally I would just ignore them, it was done to attract the people the social media types.

The best way to understand what to change is to compare a low power vs high lower N54 tune (335i vs 1M for example) and look at the changes that BMW made. You can also look at some of the publicly available tunes and note the timing and fuel tables as that is an area where you can pick up extra power. From memory the 335is had a more sensible fuel table so that would be another good reference.
Hmm will definitely do that. Thank you for the useful information. :)

Reactions: wheela

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Here's a few ROMs for you to look at. It's the IJE0S PPK bin that has the best fuelling table to use as a base. The INA0S ROM is from a Z4 35is which are of an equal output to the BMW 1M bin that I've also attached. These are a good reference for what BMW change to bump the power up by 40bhp~. You just need to use the same methodology to push things further and you'll end up with a car that drives like it left the factory with 400bhp.

With the PPK they ran leaner with more timing and less boost. On the 1M and Z4 they just kept the fuel and timing similar but upped the boost. I think the reason there is that maybe the PPK was offered in countries with decent quality fuel.

Attachments

• 8652524 INA0S IHU7S Z4 35is DCT EU latest.bin
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IKM0S 1M 8619148.bin
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • 7626406 IJE0S PPK.bin
    2 MB · Views: 19

IanBennett

Lurker
Mar 2, 2023
Here's a few ROMs for you to look at. It's the IJE0S PPK bin that has the best fuelling table to use as a base. The INA0S ROM is from a Z4 35is which are of an equal output to the BMW 1M bin that I've also attached. These are a good reference for what BMW change to bump the power up by 40bhp~. You just need to use the same methodology to push things further and you'll end up with a car that drives like it left the factory with 400bhp.

With the PPK they ran leaner with more timing and less boost. On the 1M and Z4 they just kept the fuel and timing similar but upped the boost. I think the reason there is that maybe the PPK was offered in countries with decent quality fuel.
So what’s the best way to go about manipulating the tables. Values of .5 or 1?

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
So what’s the best way to go about manipulating the tables. Values of .5 or 1?

Follow the patterns already there and work with percentages rather than fixed values. The whole idea of a 3d table is to allow smooth changes in values rather than step changes.

IanBennett

Lurker
Mar 2, 2023
Follow the patterns already there and work with percentages rather than fixed values. The whole idea of a 3d table is to allow smooth changes in values rather than step changes.
Little bit of a stupid question here, but I'm full of those, anyways the Y value on the WGDC cycle what does that stand for, I know the X is kpa, right? And then the numbers the graph uses itself, I see some spots at 3 and some at 58 and then 15, what exactly does it mean? That's the only thing I don't fully comprehend. Fuel and timing are easy its just load and rpm, and the fuel table is in afr while timing is the degrees. Same thing with the P-factor, what does the x row mean? Same with the actual numbers in it.

What exactly is wrong with mhd+ tables anyways, if it's a simplified version of everything, what's wrong with that? Cause I really want the map switching.

Last edited:

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Little bit of a stupid question here, but I'm full of those, anyways the Y value on the WGDC cycle what does that stand for, I know the X is kpa, right? And then the numbers the graph uses itself, I see some spots at 3 and some at 58 and then 15, what exactly does it mean? That's the only thing I don't fully comprehend. Fuel and timing are easy its just load and rpm, and the fuel table is in afr while timing is the degrees. Same thing with the P-factor, what does the x row mean? Same with the actual numbers in it.

What exactly is wrong with mhd+ tables anyways, if it's a simplified version of everything, what's wrong with that? Cause I really want the map switching.

Add “Boost Setpoint” and “MAF Req. (WGDC)” to your logging. These are the axis for the “WGDC (base)” table that we will be adjusting. If needed remove other unused monitors from your logs to make room. Once these monitors are added, collect a log where throttle closures can be seen. The X axis for the table is “MAF Req. (WGDC)” and the y axis is “Boost Setpoint”.

Now, look in your logs and find where Actual Load surpasses Load Requested. Once you find the problem area, look at the corresponding values for the X and Y axis on the “WGDC (Base)” table and that is where you will be making your changes. Find the cell that matches and highlight adjacent cells as well (the DME will "blend" several cells to get final values). You are going to want to lower the values in the problem area to correct throttle areas or raise them to correct under-boost/under-load. Make small incremental changes to the base table then re-flash and re-log.

GENERAL = Increase WGDC Base > More Boost

Over shooting boost > reduce wgdc table based on location of MAP Requested WGDC (Airflow) and Boost setpoint factor intersect.

Under boost > add wgdc to the intersection point (add in segments of 5-10%)

Wgdc adder > if you do not hit targets add to the last column (333) on most tunes we are over the wgdc airflow amount of 333 so just focus on the last column OR Increase the WGDC adder/ceiling table beyond 333 to increase boost.

Note: Starting from different gears and RPM will change the sweep of the curves and will take some fine tuning to achieve a smooth boost curve for all gears and starting points.