F/G series ecu on E platform ?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
How hard would it be to make a patch loom for the E platform to run a F or G series ecu for our N54 ?

Someone knowledgeable could answer this and make the software like MHD.

Easy dual hpfp control, faster more modern ecu with more memory, this would be a killer product.

Is it possible ?

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The problem is the FlexRays would necessitate buying all of the modules again I suspect and at that point you may as well go stand alone. However, I would love to have the more tunable ECUs in my car. Treat the car like an F80 M3 for example, however I am a fan of MAP/BOV and no shift farts.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Pretty sure the ecu could easily comunnicate with the E platform modules as its still can bus, plus faster flash times.

It would mean rewriting the ecu to function properly but it would also mean full support for many years to come.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Pretty sure the ecu could easily comunnicate with the E platform modules as its still can bus, plus faster flash times.

It would mean rewriting the ecu to function properly but it would also mean full support for many years to come.

I have done zero investigation into this but I think our cars currently have the "Boardnet 2010" and the Flex rays cars have "Boardnet 2020". I don't think you can just send the flexrays protocol over the existing can wires, you need firmware compatibility in the modules as well.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
You would think it was backwards compatible like usb but at a slower speed ?

If you look at a stand alone ecu the cost looks ok, once you start tuning and then fine tuning this is where it gets very expensive to get done right..

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

I'm pretty sure the faster flash times comes from the 100 mbps ethernet bus which aren't available on our cars. The ethernet goes to the FEM where the ZGM decides which bus to distribute the packets to. If our FRM doesn't have ethernet capability, then you absolutely would need to replace modules along with the DME etc. This is going to require a lot of work, I hate saying this but it would literally be easier to just go with a stand alone or buy an F30 I'm quite certain.

1572474899929.png

1572475088681.png

So looking at this diagram, from OBD you can hit the ZGM gateway which will allow you access to the K-CAN bus but you won't reach the DME or the DSC etc from that side. The OBD port is blocked from the PT-CAN bus kind of like how our FRM and the E60's KGM do the same thing.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I'm talking about swapping the ecu out only with a custom firmware and getting it to talk to our modules, it would need a custom patch loom for the extra outputs.

I dont know if it would be worth the hassle but it would be interesting if it worked.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I see. I heard some of the F chassis N55 cars have vestigial software bits laying around. You may be able to convert it to use those E chassis routines if could find them but I don't think that would be enough. To just swap the ecu you have to bring other modules just for the security alone. The dme probably wont fire up without the mstching FEM. This means the whoke flexray communication network would be required.. There simply isn't a way to avoid that I suspect

Also writing custom logic is often done in assembly. Good luck finding someone who is able to do that before we are dead.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
Guessing MEVD172(6) to MEVD172G would also be problematic? Never looked into how much changed from e to f series on n55 module-wise, can imagine some hardware hurdles, never looked into bus differences, interesting though.