Anyone here with a CIC with DAB+ tuners?

jockyw2001

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020
Hey there,

In my E88 (2013) I retrofitted a CIC (Professional - 2011). It has two DAB tuners but unfortunately not DAB+ compliant. DAB+ is a later version of the DAB standard and BMW introduced CIC with DAB+ tuners in 2012. As far as I know the tuner hardware is still the same: MICROTUNE MT1503EDC based on a Atmel ATR2732/40 chipset (datasheets attached, and only the front-end/baseband chip firmware was updated. I am trying to find a software method to dump the tuner firmware flash chip.

My questions to you are, does any of you own a CIC with DAB+ and is willing to share the qnx dump with me for research purposes? I don't care whether it is a E- or F-series CIC, it seems both are nearly identical, at least for the tuner hardware.

One more question: I heard an E-series CIC can be fitted to a BMW F-series, but the other way around seems not possible. Is that true and what are the reasons for that?

Best wishes,
JockyW

Attachments

• MT1503EDC_datasheet.pdf
    154.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Atmel-ATR2732-Front-end.pdf
    255.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Atmel-ATR2740-Baseband.pdf
    187.9 KB · Views: 20

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Hey there,

In my E88 (2013) I retrofitted a CIC (Professional - 2011). It has two DAB tuners but unfortunately not DAB+ compliant. DAB+ is a later version of the DAB standard and BMW introduced CIC with DAB+ tuners in 2012. As far as I know the tuner hardware is still the same: MICROTUNE MT1503EDC based on a Atmel ATR2732/40 chipset (datasheets attached, and only the front-end/baseband chip firmware was updated. I am trying to find a software method to dump the tuner firmware flash chip.

My questions to you are, does any of you own a CIC with DAB+ and is willing to share the qnx dump with me for research purposes? I don't care whether it is a E- or F-series CIC, it seems both are nearly identical, at least for the tuner hardware.

One more question: I heard an E-series CIC can be fitted to a BMW F-series, but the other way around seems not possible. Is that true and what are the reasons for that?

Best wishes,
JockyW
Hmmm DAB in Australia has always been DAB+ and BMW debuted DAB in Australia in May 2011
https://www.goauto.com.au/news/bmw/...but-in-bmw-in-australia/2011-04-05/20001.html
That would explain why the hardware has the capability but may need software/firmware to make it work.

jockyw2001

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020
I also coded it for DAB+ and the antenna connections for the 2 DAB tuners are there as well the yellow one for Band III and the green for L-Band. In my region there are only DAB+ stations and I always get "no signal". I'm pretty sure a MT1503EDC firmware update will do the trick.

I'd appreciate if you could check your unit has working DAB+ tuners.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Yeah to begin with it should have the green/yellow connectors. This antenna will work at least for testing things.
If you are proficient using inpa or tool32 it can also be checked if your unit has dab tuners.
I have INPA but would need step by step instructions. It’d be easier to just look at the back of the thing, if I do I’ll get the antenna

jockyw2001

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020
see the attached pics of the rear-side. The plug type is called FAKRA

and yes the linked antenna has a SMB plug so you would need an adapter cable. For testing you could also use this antenna with FAKRA plug

Attachments

• cic-rear-side1.JPG
    cic-rear-side1.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 77
  • cic-rear-side2.JPG
    cic-rear-side2.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited: