Just another top mount build? ACF top mount w/ EFR 7670

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
It has been a long and painful journey. But we are almost there. Hope to get it running this weekend and get it ready for the dyno tuning next week!
ydNwl3Q.jpg

lgbjLna.jpg

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Hey brotha, the mac solenoid vaccum lines need to swapped around. The way you have it setup is for all the boost lol.
attachment.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, but you are wrong on this. Switching the two opposing ports wouldn't matter a bit since they are both vented to the middle port when the solenoid is not energized.

Here is some reference materials on how these things work.
https://diy.haascnc.com/reference-docs/solenoid-troubleshooting-guide
http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/education/science-boost-part-1-solenoids/5/

Reactions: Payam@BMS

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Glad to report the car is up and running. Functionality wise it is now 100%!

I am in the process of doing some initial street tune at the moment. If it all goes well, the plan it to dial in the rest on a dyno in the near future.

Here are some logs from last night. Keep in mind are keeping the tune pretty conservative right now.
https://datazap.me/u/cloud9blue/log-1522210603

One thing my tuner and I did notice is the fuel trim variance. Our guess the v-band joint on the band 2 part of the manifold is leaking a bit under boost. We thought we fixed that by re-welding it, arghhh. Will have to keep an eye on this and see how this holds up when we are upping the boost even more. At least the engine will be running rich in the worst case scenario, so risk of engine damage is pretty low with this.

One small problem with the car though. I did lose my steering wheel buttons and paddle shifter and initially my manual mode for the auto trans as well (xhp emergency flash fixed that). I think this is a software issue. Hope to get it coded out soon.

Btw, I know you guys want to see picture. But the car is filthy from sitting around for the last 3 months, so I would rather get it washed and cleaned before showing any glamor shots. The oil feed line is a bit ghetto right now too, since the setup ACF sent us wasn't quite clearing the hood. Waiting for parts to arrive in the next few days, so we can do a proper fix for that.

Reactions: 135Pats

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
A short clip of how the car is running at the moment at ~15psi. The spool of this turbo is pretty nuts. Full boost by 2900 rpm. Filmed in Mexico of course, lol.

Apologize for the language, I have been driving camrys and foresters for the last 3 months, so still getting used to the new found power.

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Been really busy recently, so my apology for the lack of update as I barely get the chance to drive the thing, let alone to have the time to work on it.

There are still few more things that needs work on. One of which is the air filter setup. Due to the space constrain, the current air filter is probably too restrictive.
lm2JB4m.jpg

Option 1 is to route the air intake all the way to the driver side like this below. But I don't think it is gonna flow any better with that 3' long pipe and two 90 degree couplers in the way.
attachment.jpg

Option 2 is just get one those mesh Turbo-guard. And glue or clamp some coarse foam filter on top of it (like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QFX5E2), so it will at least capture some of road grimes. Not a perfect solution, so it is probably best to run this setup for track days, where performance actually matters. But hopefully it will flow a lot more air than what I have going on right now.
maxresdefault.jpg

Also, I tried to improve the heat management a bit just last weekend, since the shop did a rather lousy job with it. I wrapped all the exposed electrical wiring near the down pipe with fiberglass sheath (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E267M4) or aluminum coated sleeves (https://www.mcmaster.com/#2652k31/=1dcf65s) to prevent it from melting. I also made a small heat shield for the downpipe from some scrap aluminum sheet (kind of hard to see in the pic, but it is there), to try to reflect the IR radiation away from the electrical components above the downpipe.

I also had to wrapped the coolant line leading to the expansion tank with protective nylon sleeves (https://www.mcmaster.com/#2569k97/=1dcf6nb). It is rubbing on the fan shroud, and if left as it is, the rough edges on plastic fan shroud will rub a hole on the coolant line in just a few thousand miles.

pAOezHQ.jpg

KevinC39

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
How are you liking the turbo? I talked to you about the 7670 speedtech N55 kit earlier today. Your set up looks really well done. I'm still deciding which direction to go on the turbo. Not too many 7670s out there it doesn't seem like but I think it would be perfect for what I'm looking for.

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
How are you liking the turbo? I talked to you about the 7670 speedtech N55 kit earlier today. Your set up looks really well done. I'm still deciding which direction to go on the turbo. Not too many 7670s out there it doesn't seem like but I think it would be perfect for what I'm looking for.

My goal for the setup was around 500hp at the wheels on pump 93 with minimal lag. While the tuning is still being dialed in, I think the turbo is the perfect choice for what I was aiming for.

It spools by 2700-3300 rpm depending on the gear, and more top end than any of the stock frame hybrid can ever do with no chance of wastegate rattle ever happening down the road, and have better transient response than the worn out stock twins that I had before. Exhaust sound better too with the single turbo and one piece 3.5 inch downpipes than the raspy stock twins with catless dps. So yeah, I am perfectly happy aside from the screw ups and the bs from ACF, which wasted a lot of my time and money to fix.

Most of the guys on this platform are chasing high hp these days, but you don’t care much about that and just want some usable power, there really isn’t a better turbo than the 7670 unless borg Warner decide the release something another efr turbo that is roughly the same size as the pte 6062. It would be nice to have a bit more headroom for better IAT and EGT with a slightly larger turbo.

• Informative
Reactions: KevinC39

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Can you fit the BMS short top mount turbo filter on there? If not, I vote option 1 for the air filter. The 90 bends and pipe will not be an issue. It also gives your PCV a place to grab vac from: https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/high-side-pcv-vacuum-single-turbo.3527/

The Mesh looks cool but it's not worth the risk of damaging 2k worth of turbo imo.

Shorty filter doesn’t fit. And the 7670 has a 3.5” inlet, not the 4” like all the PTE turbo.

I agree the mesh won’t do anything for air filtration. That’s why I am adding foam filter around. Already order the parts to test it out. But I will probably built a longer intake just for street driving so I don’t end up chipping the compressor blades down the road.

frontside0815

Corporal
Nov 9, 2016
Germany
Your Logs say "After dyno" so you already went to the dyno?
Did you try the car on a roadcourse? Would like to see if a top mount ST Kit works on roadcourse with long WOT runs and a lot of heat...

The spool in your logs looks amazing.

frontside0815

Corporal
Nov 9, 2016
Germany
Did you try the car on a roadcourse? Would like to see if a top mount ST Kit works on roadcourse with long WOT runs and a lot of heat...

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i

I did, but that was right after I got the car back, so there were still a few things to iron out.

no chance for road course yet, and I doubt I will be anytime soon (just moved to NYC a month ago). but I was able to log 900 miles in one day, with average speed of +90mph. So I think the car will be fine road course. Plenty of top mounts being used in other platform for road course. The only thing I am worried about is the plastic valve cover, but I asked the shop to build a heat shield for it (see pics from previous posts). So it should be fine. For the oil temp and coolant temp, I actually see lower temp with this turbo than the stock twins.

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
It has been a while since the last update. Just too busy with work recently...

Anyway, I switched back to JB4 for boost control and started tuning the car myself again. The Motiv BoostBox just wasn't working reliably for my car. Every now and then it gives me just the wastegate pressure instead of full boost. Not sure what the problem is. And between the locked bin file that I get from Motiv and their turnaround time, I figured things are better off done by myself with JB4 and BEF. Plus, bluetooth logging from my iPhone is way more convenient than dealing with MHD and the OBD cable.

Car is running nice and strong since I put the JB4 back-on. Dialed in the fuel scalar over the weekend; AFR target (the BMS single turbo bin for pump gas runs too lean for my taste) and boost control just a bit more refining, but it is 80-90% there. I attached some logs below from this weekend. They look pretty good to me, but do let me know if you see something out of place.

Btw, this EFR turbo is pretty snappy and fun in the snow as well:

Reactions: R.G.