Datalog Measuring Oil Level through MHD

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I also would like to know this. I have IJE0S_UserChannels.xml AND UserChannels.xml (both because I wanted to find out if removing IJE0S would work) in the MHD root directory, but see no changes. Does this xml config file only get picked up on Android?
I don't know about IOS, I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

The format requires the ROM version at the start of the filename. MHD looks at what ROM you have, then checks the root directory for the additional parameter file for that particular ROM.

I don't know the best way to keep track of these parameters on the forum. Ideally we would have a wiki style repository that would let me enter the parameter name, description of what it means, scaling parameters and then the address for each of the 4 major ROM variants.

I could also find the N55 ones if nobody else is already doing it, it would just take a little more time as I'm yet to disassemble any of those ROMs.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
I don't know about IOS, I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

The format requires the ROM version at the start of the filename. MHD looks at what ROM you have, then checks the root directory for the additional parameter file for that particular ROM.

I don't know the best way to keep track of these parameters on the forum. Ideally we would have a wiki style repository that would let me enter the parameter name, description of what it means, scaling parameters and then the address for each of the 4 major ROM variants.

I could also find the N55 ones if nobody else is already doing it, it would just take a little more time as I'm yet to disassemble any of those ROMs.
We would be grateful for your help. We started a thread in the N55 forum for the oil level but are stuck. Also, we have a few other custom channels we could add to the 98G0B user channel xml.

Thread: https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads/measuring-oil-level-through-mhd.9335/

Reactions: wheela

suspect

Private
Nov 7, 2023
I also would like to know this. I have IJE0S_UserChannels.xml AND UserChannels.xml (both because I wanted to find out if removing IJE0S would work) in the MHD root directory, but see no changes. Does this xml config file only get picked up on Android?

Use only IJE0S_UserChannels.xml and have you tried this whole file?

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>

<ActualValues>

<ActualValue ReqBlock="D9,5E" Size="1" DataA="0.29296875" DataB="0.0" Prefix="C0" Units="mm" RoundingDigits="2">
<Text xml:lang="en">Oil Level (mm)</Text>
</ActualValue>

</ActualValues>

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I can take a look but starting from scratch on the engine so it takes quite a bit of time.

What DME does the E series N55 use. Are there any funktionsrahmen documents available for the N55 specifically?

Also what is the memory layout like? I notice it has a 4MB flash. Does anyone know the memory area boundaries?

I have a load of a2l files for it already. But they only help with the cal space.

Reactions: wheela

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I can take a look but starting from scratch on the engine so it takes quite a bit of time.

What DME does the E series N55 use. Are there any funktionsrahmen documents available for the N55 specifically?

Also what is the memory layout like? I notice it has a 4MB flash. Does anyone know the memory area boundaries?

I have a load of a2l files for it already. But they only help with the cal space.
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the older e-chassis n55 (98g0b) is Bosch MEVD 17.2, while the newer e-chassis (9e60b) is Bosch MEVD 17.2.6. I don't know any of the rom ID's from f-chassis.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240315_162656_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240315_162656_Chrome.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 18

samuria

Nov 30, 2021
Use only IJE0S_UserChannels.xml and have you tried this whole file?

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>

<ActualValues>

<ActualValue ReqBlock="D9,5E" Size="1" DataA="0.29296875" DataB="0.0" Prefix="C0" Units="mm" RoundingDigits="2">
<Text xml:lang="en">Oil Level (mm)</Text>
</ActualValue>

</ActualValues>

Copying this to my XML file worked, I can now see the Oil level parameter. But no value is shown - stuck at 0.0

That’s probably because the ReqBlock is different for IJE0S.

@carabuser any ideas what ReqBlock would be for IJE0S? D9,5E gives 0.0

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
D6,52 for IJE0S

Reactions: samuria

RTA

Private
Jun 17, 2020
A bit of a side question, how would this be translated in a situation with an extended oil cooler?
Such system requires more oil, how would this affect the oil reading?

jzx_andy

Corporal
May 22, 2019
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
2008 E92 335i 6MT
A bit of a side question, how would this be translated in a situation with an extended oil cooler?
Such system requires more oil, how would this affect the oil reading?

I don't think it would make much of a difference as most of the additional oil will be sitting in the cooler when the engine isn't running, and it's not like you can drain it all from the sump during an oil change. Just need to initially account for the added capacity for any coolers that you add.

Assuming all the oil in the lines ends up in the sump after engine shutdown (very unlikely for all of it to end up there IMO) I'd guess it might over-read oil capacity at the sump based on the volume of the lines. That'd be what, 50-100ml? Maybe even less.

If the engine is running at temp with oil thermo open, you should be getting an accurate reading regardless. The sump is the main reservoir for the oiling system and the lines and cooler will be full of oil.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTA and JohnDaviz