Methanol tank cooler?

E92 420

Corporal
Jul 8, 2017
United Kingdom
Ride
BMW e92 335i
Ok so as title states, Iv Been pondering with the idea of making something up to keep the meth mix in my trunk mounted tank cool. Say a constant 5-7c degree’s C.

In the summer months the mix can get pretty warm sometimes. I personally think it could be pretty benificail to keep it nice and cool.

Iv actually never seen anyone mention this over the years. I know you can get ice coolers n stuff for drag cars, and some Mercedes come with fuel coolers like a run off a separate cooling system with a little heat exchanger.

I keep thinking of some kind of refrigerant system, like with a cooling element run through the meth tank, use a thermostat so it only comes on when needed to keep it at desired temp and also make it on/off switchable from inside the cabin? So basically like a home refrigerator type system.

What do the more experienced amoung you think,

Worth the hassle?

Is it actually feasible?

Iv only tossed ideas around in my own head but thought I’d throw it out there.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I think you are overthinking it. Methanol is an alcohol type fuel and has a higher octane than your pump fuel, it really does not matter the temp of it from my understanding(within reason). Meth works because of “latent heat vaporization.” it literally sucks the heat out of the air. The water also absorbs heat and provides further cooling. At the end of the day you end up with a denser & cooler air charge that has a higher octane and is much more resistant pre-detonation, all good things that you want. While it would not hurt it starting cooler I think the gains would not be worth the effort of building a leak free cooling system.

That being said, if you wanted to keep it cool just tie in to your existing AC system. It is very feasible, AC on when driving as you would normally when temps are elevated. Turn the AC off when you want to 'race' and the water/meth mix will stay cool for a good deal of time given it's mass. If you want to do it go for it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol_fuel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

Get some denatured alcohol/rubbing alcohol even at room-temperature the alcohol feels very cold on your skin.

I'm sure someone else can give you a better technical explanation.

Last edited:
Reactions: E92 420

E92 420

Corporal
Jul 8, 2017
United Kingdom
Ride
BMW e92 335i
I think you are overthinking it. Methanol is an alcohol type fuel and has a higher octane than your pump fuel, it really does not matter the temp of it from my understanding(within reason). Meth works because of “latent heat vaporization.” it literally sucks the heat out of the air. The water also absorbs heat and provides further cooling. At the end of the day you end up with a denser & cooler air charge that has a higher octane and is much more resistant pre-detonation, all good things that you want. While it would not hurt it starting cooler I think the gains would not be worth the effort of building a leak free cooling system.

That being said, if you wanted to keep it cool just tie in to your existing AC system. It is very feasible, AC on when driving as you would normally when temps are elevated. Turn the AC off when you want to 'race' and the water/meth mix will stay cool for a good deal of time given it's mass. If you want to do it go for it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol_fuel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

Get some denatured alcohol/rubbing alcohol even at room-temperature the alcohol feels very cold on your skin.

I'm sure someone else can give you a better technical explanation.

Yea i do understand the meth absorbing heat part. Just thought as I run a 50/50 mix using an aquamist kit that if the water was cooler it may have helped a bit more.

A/C would prob be best way to go about it yes, as instead of making an entirely new system I can tie I to the existing A/C.

I think some more research is needed, something to perhaps keep me busy tinkering over next winter.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Before going to the drag strip I put my meth in a big freezer and the ethanol I poured in my fuel tank. I transported all down to the strip in ice boxes and used some ice in the tank.

Result. No difference at all in performance. The energy to warm by a lot of degrees is nowhere near the energy for evaporating

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
50/50 mix, instead of water. Use ice.

While I like the idea of ice cubes and cooling it down in theory, there is no chance of ever getting close to a 50/50 mix with the ice cubes. They would have to be fully melted for the solution to be 50/50. So I guess if you measure out what each cube and tray holds total and then look in and wait until most are melted it would work.

Water weighs more than methanol mixing it by volume doesn't give you a 50/50 mixture if you want to be exact about this. Just saying you can go down this rabbit hole regarding distilled frozen water and trying to get your mix accurate. If you are anal enough to try and cool down your water/meth I assume you want the solution to be 100% correct as well. All of this being a lot of work for basically no gains.

Personally I just say F it and run 100% meth, makes one thing more simple in my life.