N54 injectors 3.3k?!?!

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

AJh6Fpq5GrSm9pgHfBO37ZUr3NXdQF1OQYhXWgCxh887UyDu7Xmd2w9HR0TV2YWCZ4k_8x9RT5z-oqeI4_bNBgD5AWBC8297pckaM3AyIInXRNMcOXJTjtQk6bVvySkKwLAB4xOj8LVJgQS7W26PgPrk3R05qrcnBTYirY4MSKhC6D0W3tO6rx30jfpQLhQC28OBI1-XZCVj40HF-I8Ad9w=w1046-h226

How the n54 platform will die. Injectors that cost 1/3 as much as the car + install. Can you imagine going to a shop and they are like, yeah that will be 4.2k for new injectors installed and coded.

and I got mine from FCP for $780 lifetime warranty.

I am amazed at these costs no one does a good job refurbishing or offers a non OEM replacement.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
There is a general manufacturing issue for injectors.

A buddy of mine checked the BMW orders for injectors.

BMW Germany has roughly 7000 N54 injectors on backorder. 685 were shipped this week. No other shipment confirmed. Now imagine the global situation.

I don´t remember which other injectors he showed me. More common ones. 17000! on Backorder.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I got mine from FCP for the same as you Togus, and have already refreshed them once.
If not for that I would be gone. Heck, I mine be moving to a new platform soon anyway if someone will throw enough $$$ at me.

Reactions: Torgus

JayN54Sosa

Lurker
Aug 16, 2022
Forest city, NC
Ride
E92 335i FBO+e85

AJh6Fpq5GrSm9pgHfBO37ZUr3NXdQF1OQYhXWgCxh887UyDu7Xmd2w9HR0TV2YWCZ4k_8x9RT5z-oqeI4_bNBgD5AWBC8297pckaM3AyIInXRNMcOXJTjtQk6bVvySkKwLAB4xOj8LVJgQS7W26PgPrk3R05qrcnBTYirY4MSKhC6D0W3tO6rx30jfpQLhQC28OBI1-XZCVj40HF-I8Ad9w=w1046-h226

How the n54 platform will die. Injectors that cost 1/3 as much as the car + install. Can you imagine going to a shop and they are like, yeah that will be 4.2k for new injectors installed and coded.

and I got mine from FCP for $780 lifetime warranty.

I am amazed at these costs no one does a good job refurbishing or offers a non OEM replacement.
Went from 1500-1700 to 3800 at one point. I just roll my dice and grab used ones off a part out. Or index 10s/11s. No performance difference on my end with all of the kinds I’ve used.

ShadyOrb

Private
Sep 4, 2021
I'm using a mix of Index 1s, 4s, and 6s from the previous owner. So far so good, has me sweating if one goes though. Hoping price will drop before then.

Jmantx

Corporal
Mar 27, 2022
So, there are non BMW branded index 12 injectors available. I have a set in my car, and they work great. They cost me around $600 for the set. Mine in particular are Siemens branded. The exact ones I bought aren't available currently, but there are others on Amazon for a similar price. Has anyone else tried them and had an issue?

• Funny
Reactions: NoGuru
Jun 2, 2022
I just got myself a backup set. My original plan was to wait for FCP to get the rb remanufacturing index 12s in stock and snag those. Well I purchased and checked out for about 800 for the set. Got an email a day later from them saying they couldn’t fulfill them. The problem is the cores for remanufacturing these injectors have also dried up. So even those folks that managed to get these remanufactured injectors will likely not be able to get them warrantied as I doubt they will be reliably back in stock.

What I did was bought a set from eBay (still paid 850 for 6 index 12’s). Then I sent them off to theinjectorshop.com to have them cleaned, piezo stack regenerated, serviceable components replaced, and tested against factory test plans (this ensured I would have quality injectors…I could return if it didn’t work out). Each came back good to near perfect after they were “remanufactured” with test reports. So now I will always have a back up pair. I will pull mine and send them in for the same service.

The service is about 40 bucks per injector. There are only three places (gb remanufacturing which exclusively supplies FCP, the injector shop, and as someone mentioned injector-rehab) that I know of that provide this injector service as the equipment can only be sourced from GB remanufacturing (sold by carbon zapp) and is very expensive.

Prior to getting the service done, I reached out to Scott Fleenor who is the owner of theinjectorshop. Scott was very responsive and up front. I’ve attached a report of one of the injectors services. Each test plan that is supplied by seimens VDO is run on the injectors. The test plans correspond to the 6 digit code on the injector which is also used to properly inform the Dme of the injector calibration. Note that in between the dotted lines represent “near perfect” test and anything in between the solid lines is a pass.

It’s a shame but I love my E92 n54 335is and intend to keep her on the road for the long haul. Also, at this point pretty much every part is free since I bought my parts from FCP. And i do all my own work.

Attachments

• report_GD1r__X_13537585261_2022-08-23_1948_s1.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 210

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
^Great post! Super useful. Thanks for the info.
I just got myself a backup set. My original plan was to wait for FCP to get the rb remanufacturing index 12s in stock and snag those. Well I purchased and checked out for about 800 for the set. Got an email a day later from them saying they couldn’t fulfill them. The problem is the cores for remanufacturing these injectors have also dried up. So even those folks that managed to get these remanufactured injectors will likely not be able to get them warrantied as I doubt they will be reliably back in stock.

What I did was bought a set from eBay (still paid 850 for 6 index 12’s). Then I sent them off to theinjectorshop.com to have them cleaned, piezo stack regenerated, serviceable components replaced, and tested against factory test plans (this ensured I would have quality injectors…I could return if it didn’t work out). Each came back good to near perfect after they were “remanufactured” with test reports. So now I will always have a back up pair. I will pull mine and send them in for the same service.

The service is about 40 bucks per injector. There are only three places (gb remanufacturing which exclusively supplies FCP, the injector shop, and as someone mentioned injector-rehab) that I know of that provide this injector service as the equipment can only be sourced from GB remanufacturing (sold by carbon zapp) and is very expensive.

Prior to getting the service done, I reached out to Scott Fleenor who is the owner of theinjectorshop. Scott was very responsive and up front. I’ve attached a report of one of the injectors services. Each test plan that is supplied by seimens VDO is run on the injectors. The test plans correspond to the 6 digit code on the injector which is also used to properly inform the Dme of the injector calibration. Note that in between the dotted lines represent “near perfect” test and anything in between the solid lines is a pass.

It’s a shame but I love my E92 n54 335is and intend to keep her on the road for the long haul. Also, at this point pretty much every part is free since I bought my parts from FCP. And i do all my own work.
Very interesting..can the chap ‘upgrade’ earlier injectors to index 12?

Jun 2, 2022
Very interesting..can the chap ‘upgrade’ earlier injectors to index 12?
To my understanding earlier index injectors are able to be serviced however the outcomes are not favorable. It’s not worth the time or the expense to attempt the service injectors other than index 11’s and 12’s and the two companies, theinjectorshop and injector-rehab, likely won’t attempt to service without full disclosure that the service likely won’t bring the injectors up to operating specs. From my understanding, even the index 11’s success rate of this service is significantly less than index 12’s. Best to start with genuine seimens VDO index 12 injectors. My factory injectors installed on my 2012 bmw 335is are index 12’s and are going strong 110k miles later with no issues that I can tell (I’m full bolt on with stage 2 lpfp running e60, MHD BEF stacked JB4 running the flex BEF).

When I was looking on eBay I looked for index 12 injector “sets” pulled from a 2012 or newer bmw (I don’t know for sure but it seems like bmw stared installing index 12’s at the factory starting in roughly 2012). I emailed the seller to confirm what information they had on the “doner” car. There is also a possibility pulled injectors can be index 12’s from earlier model years but that would be due to an injector replacement and hopefully they would also have this information.

Here is information directly from Scott at theinjectorshop. “And I want to be very crystal clear on what I do and don’t do to the Piezo BMW injectors. The word “remanufactured” is very loosely used when it comes to gasoline injectors, whether they are standard port or GDI (Piezo included). I do not get caught up in using or telling my customers that I am going to rebuild/remanufacture any fuel injector, Piezo’s especially. Piezo injectors CANNOT be torn down and rebuilt like a common rail diesel Piezo injector, they simply cannot. Everyone, including GB, takes them apart as far as they can which is to remove the fuel inlet pipe, the micro filter in the inlet pipe fitting, and the lower compression seals, than sends them to multi stage cleaning. The only parts that can be replaced in/on the injector are the inlet pipe stainless washer, the inlet pipe micro filter, and the lower compression seal (de-couplers are recommended to be replaced when servicing these injectors and they will need to come from BMW, FCP Euro, or equivalent). If there is any failure internal to the injector the injector cannot be serviced, it must be replaced. After proper cleaning Piezo injectors need to be tested properly, and this is really where the rubber hits the road with these injectors. You have obviously been doing your homework as you see that myself and Injector Rehab are using the GDI specific equipment to test at operating pressure against OEM test plans, and YES, the equipment is manufactured by Carbon Zapp which is distributed in the US by GB Remanufacturing. Now by the definitions you quote below, this type of parts replacement and service can be offered as “rebuilt” or “remanufactured” because the necessary parts have been replaced, and they have been tested against an OEM test plan that can validate the injector is performing “to same-as-new, or better, condition and performance”. I just simply don’t play this word game. I used to own a carburetor rebuilding company so I am very comfortable with what it takes to truly rebuild something. My definition of this service IS NOT rebuilding/remanufacturing, it’s cleaning and testing. A very good service as I help customers all the time get these injectors back to normal performance, I just like to call it the way I see it. So the bottom line….if FCP Euro had a GB “remanufactured” injector, it would be the same product/service coming from me, I would just need your cores to do so.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Most helpful and expansive…I’ve put new index 12s in last year and as a result have 5 index 9 and 1 index 12 …so not much point in refurbishing those 5..

Hopefully by the time I need some more index 12s matters will have improved..

Jmantx

Corporal
Mar 27, 2022
I wonder if it's worth sending him an ebay/Amazon injector to rebuild. You'd still end up under $1k for a set. Might be worth it for the future.