Technical Oil/water separators.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Been looking for a while for a decent on a budget water to air oil separator, whilst there are some on
the market they are overly expensive and complicated.

This has led me to design my own and thus far has worked flawlessly, I will also be incorporating a heater unit to boil off
any moisture and minimise the contents which can be either recirculated back into the sump or drained at oil change time.

I've totally got rid off the PCV system and the gases are recirculated back to the rear inlet and later once i modify my
custom front inlet will have both front and rear turbo scavenging the gases out of the motor.

Here is a quick picture of the setup

20200821_183046.jpg

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Definitely a messy setup and high maintenance.

With the rb turbo drains I have no turbo draining issues so I wanted to try running with no pcv.

I also found my engine with cams and lower comp did not like the vacuum that was drawn by the system and was causing on//off throttle stumbling.

Car now is silky smooth.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Definitely a messy setup and high maintenance.

With the rb turbo drains I have no turbo draining issues so I wanted to try running with no pcv.

I also found my cams and lower comp did not like the vacuum that was drawn by the system and was causing on//off throttle stumbling.

Car now is silky smooth.

Very interesting to hear about vacuum issues like that... I am curious for more when you can write it up.

You are running low lift Schrick cams? I assume a built block?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Here is my custom 4 port oil/water separator I made last year, works extremely well.

i also put a vac gauge on the crankcase to see how much vac is there on the dyno.

You could easily put a sensor there and use a jb4 for logging only and use a aux input to log the vacuum.

This is how I mounted the relief valve, once you get it dial in I turned it upside down so you could not see it.

20200821_183046.jpg

20191227_154115.jpg