Plugging head ports

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
Or you can simply clean the VC ports and gush them full with high strength epoxy. Works just the same and there ain't no way the epoxy is coming loose, or flaking.

Edit: Apparently I wasnt specific enough. If you choose to do this please do research, and use the epoxy that you feel suites best. Google is a great resource.

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Or you can simply clean the VC ports and gush them full with high strength epoxy. Works just the same and there ain't no way the epoxy is coming loose, or flaking.
Not the case. There are wide variety of epoxies, but even the garden variety 500° stuff I've had fail at temperatures under that.

Filippo

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
Not the case. There are wide variety of epoxies, but even the garden variety 500° stuff I've had fail at temperatures under that.

Filippo

Everyone on this board knows there's a wide range of epoxies and other adhesives for that matter. If you're doing light coats or simple external repairs then yes I agree with you. We are talking about taking a syringe and filling in small voids up to a reasonable extent. Let's also not mistaken GARDEN epoxy that comes from your local hardware store either. 3M makes great epoxy if you're truly worried about hardened epoxy failing. Epoxy failures usually occur due to lack of prep, wrong epoxy, or not enough set time for the amount you applied.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I can't speak to what every single person at spoolstreet knows - I'm not that smart for sure. I have a lot of epoxy experience in my line of work, as some people here likely do as well. The common variety epoxy - that is, not aerospace or even System 3 or T88 garden professional stuff - but what the average person here might pick up for the job, for instance JB Weld high temp, I've had failures with. You are right prep is key as is mixing, as is choosing the right epoxy for the right application. I have 1/10th gram scales for weight measurement which I prefer over volume measurements.

My original comment is that "use epoxy" and it is won and done is not quite that simple. It may be for you. It's highly unlikely that you can vouch for everyone on the board. Hence my response of caveat emptor.

Filippo

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
I like to be optimistic, and that being said I think it's quite safe to say most members on this board have walked down an isle, and glanced at the different types of epoxy. You don't need to be "smart" to justify most active members here don't live under a rock. Is it an assumption yes, is it a safe assumption?
I think so.

My head ports are plugged via allen heads like everyone else. I wouldn't be afraid to use the cheap jb stuff for this specific application now that I think about it. It's a very good place for epoxy adhesion with the variation in shape and material type. The only vouching I've done so far is giving the community the benefit of the doubt.. shame on me. 😅

• Funny
Reactions: fmorelli

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
IMG_2209.jpeg
IMG_2212.jpeg
IMG_2220.jpeg

Thank you to @doublespaces and @fmorelli for tips on plugging head. I finally did it as well!

Nerve racking, but pretty easy. Keep a 'shield' from cam ledge as everything wants to fall in there.