Oil Carryover Issues understood and solved!! (Hopefully!!)

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Hello peoples! So, as I started tuning my car, I began to notice signs of leakage from my valve cover, I take pride in my engine bay, so I promptly bought a new gasket to do the replacement but then decided to revamp the entire system as I am running 22+ psi boost. I purchased all the bits needed to go external, a VTT mini check valve, pair of Radium CC'c , plugs for the head ports and an aluminum valve cover. When the cover arrived it was done in silver powder coat which I promptly had redone in gloss black for the OEM look. Before the powder coater did his job, he decided to remove the covers to the vortex separators so that the gaskets could be removed to prevent damage during the baking process. This decision made me appreciate the UPGRADED cover as it offers the ability to open up the vortex oil separators and PCV systems (unlike the sealed OEM plastic one) to see exactly what is going on in there. To my surprise and disappointment, I found absolutely nothing!! inside the so-called oil separation system there is only open space! no baffling or mist elimination stuffing/packing to help the oil separate out!

2.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg

After finding this I went out to the store and picked up some stainless-steel pot scrubs which I used as packing to stuff the shit out of all that wide open volume! this should make the system function ALOT better and prevent the typical filling up of the low side catch can.

4.jpg

Last edited:

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I like the idea of adding something to catch mist, but are you sure those are stainless? Any concern of them breaking down over time and shedding particulate into the engine?

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Yep, they are stainless and even if it breaks down it is highly unlikely, they cant get into the engine as the section in question is completely sealed other than the 4 square openings for the vortex separators.

Last edited:

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
IMG_1391.jpeg

This is what the inside looks like! It’s practicayl impossible for any of it to get out.

Last edited:

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
I have since pulled my OEM valve cover, plugged the ports in the head, installed my upgrade cover and completed the installation of the catch cans! I'm pleased to report that I still have zero codes and no oil in either can after driving for two weeks!

1.jpg

Pretty clean for 27K kilometers!

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: wheela

Beyond.The.Boost

Mar 11, 2024
So maybe I'm missing something or don't fully understand the system, but if you plugged the head ports and externalized the PCV, what value would adding baffling do?

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Most people report quick accumulation of large amounts of oil in the low side catch can, the baffling and/or packing causes the oil entrained in the air to separate out and remain in the motor so ONLY the blow by vapors are returned to the intake manifold and I don't have to b draining my catch can at all.

Beyond.The.Boost

Mar 11, 2024
Most people report quick accumulation of large amounts of oil in the low side catch can, the baffling and/or packing causes the oil entrained in the air to separate out and remain in the motor so ONLY the blow by vapors are returned to the intake manifold and I don't have to b draining my catch can at all.
Interesting, and so far you truly feel it has made a substantial difference? I just installed the same valve cover so I'm curious.

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Yes, it's been close to a month, and I've since gone on couple long distance drives and both dipsticks are bone dry and no exhaust oil smoke from the motor, period. The great design of the RADIUM cans prevent oil carry over back into the system using the same kind of stuffing and some baffling, this mod to the valve cover prevents oil from even getting to the cans and it cost just a couple dollars to implement.

Last edited:

Beyond.The.Boost

Mar 11, 2024
Yes, it's been close to a month, and I've since gone on couple long distance drives and both dipsticks are bone dry and no exhaust oil smoke from the motor, period. The great design of the RADIUM cans prevent oil carry over back into the system using the same kind of stuffing and some baffling, this mod to the valve cover prevents oil from even getting to the cans and it cost just a couple dollars to implement.
Do you have any pictures of how you put the baffling in?

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
I did not do baffling; I just used the pot scrub material to pack all the open spaces in the valve cover like in the Radium Catch Can below.

VTA_CCC_Media.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jzx_andy