Possible dead alternator after Blower motor recall

MattGu40

Private
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335xi FBO
Hi guys, i have had a look around various forums and did not find any solution to my problem

E92 2009 335xi 155k km

Car battery and charging system been working flawlessly even after the installation of my PR coils.

Long story short, Sent the car to the dealer for the blower motor recall and an alignment.

whole blower motor and wiring had to be changed they informed me it could take couple hours over what was expected.

Finally got the car back and drove home. about an hour drive 90km/h road with hills. it was cold so windows up and new blower motor doing its things.

On arrival, i let the car cool down as i always do for about a minute. and noticed a loud belt noise. open the hood open noise seemed to be coming from alternator and could notice little smoke.

shut the car down and tell myself i will attack the problem the next day.

next morning, start the car noise still half present. after about 1 minute of driving Red battery light appears. Belt is intact, alternator clutch pulley is turning and rotor inside the alternator is turning.

while driving back from the fuel station lights, radio, cluster everything stopped working. Almost made it home. jump started and drove the last bit without issues. Christmas tree.

No suspect codes comes up on MHD/JB4
I have checked all ground
Battery holds its voltage normally. 12.7 over a couple nights of inactivity and does not struggle cranking with lights and accessory one when charged.
when the car runs voltage drops all the way down to 7 volt

I have checked all wire to alternator i have checked ground from chassis to engine mount area.
all fine. battery connection cleaned up and ensure to be tight. all fusees are OK.
if i disconnect that blue IBS sensor on the battery still get no output from the alternator.

i am leaning toward replacing the alternator. just want to have you guys opinion and be sure the replacement part will fix it for good as bmw are controlled by electrical wizardery and voodoo spells.

would like to know you guys opinion on ROCKAUTO alternators.. not sure i can afford a genuin bmw alternator.

thanks