Technical Pulsar 6266 vs 6466 (Goal 600)

wtvlee

Oct 26, 2023
I’m having a hard time deciding between the 6266 and the 6466.

I’m aware that the 6466 gives me head room if i wanna go higher and at lower PSI then the 6266 where it needs more PSI to reach 600.

I wanna run 93 oct cuz its gonna be a hassle for me to get E85, but do I need a upgraded LPFP?

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunderstorm1250

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
Both of these turbos will be capable of ending the stock engine pretty easy.
Better question is what do you want your car to do? What is the goal? ( by that I mean time , 1/4mile 60-130 etc)
Plenty of single turbo cars that run slow times but, have impressive bits of paper from the dyno shop.
Understand no 93 octane but, what about a meth kit?
Yes you will need more LPFP pump no question ,in fact if you are wanting to push 600+ then there is a very long list of parts that will be needed. Including things you will break , like diff's and axles to name a few.

wtvlee

Oct 26, 2023
Both of these turbos will be capable of ending the stock engine pretty easy.
Better question is what do you want your car to do? What is the goal? ( by that I mean time , 1/4mile 60-130 etc)
Plenty of single turbo cars that run slow times but, have impressive bits of paper from the dyno shop.
Understand no 93 octane but, what about a meth kit?
Yes you will need more LPFP pump no question ,in fact if you are wanting to push 600+ then there is a very long list of parts that will be needed. Including things you will break , like diff's and axles to name a few.
I picked the 6266, but I’ve never thought about meth injection.

odesh

Private
Mar 6, 2023
How do you like the 6266. In between getting that or the 6466 for my top mount speedtech kit. Is the spool that much faster on the 6266?
There is a dyno graph of Precision turbos. 6266, 6466, 6766. It's driven on stock 3.0 2JZ. There isn't almost any difference in spool but the top end of the 6466 is matching for 6766. I know that these turbos are different from the Pulsar ones, but Pulsar copies Precision so it should be close and imo useful info.

I personally went with Pulsar 6466, since the spool should be the same and the price was same as well. I haven't installed it yet, so I can't give real data with Speedtech kit. Me myself, I'm trying to decide if I'm going to change the open 0.96 a/r turbine housing (that came with the turbo) with 0.84 a/r divided turbine housing to make the spool little better.

466-vs-6766-dyno-graphs-inside-62vs64vs67_reidscar.jpg

Sep 5, 2023
I have a similar dilemma. My front hybrid turbo just failed. I'm looking at the Docrace top mount kit and debating between the 6266 and 6466. My car is setup for full flex fuel e85 + methanol. But most of the time, 80% of the time, I drive with 93+methanol.

I have a built engine but it is still open deck. So I think that I'm probably pushing the limits past 800 whp. I'd like to keep it under this limit on e85 but also be 600 whp when on 93+methanol. I'd be open to any suggestion. Most of the rest of the car is FBO or built up such as axles, LSD, suspension, brakes, etc... I'm also going to take this downtime opportunity to do a 6hp28 swap. My transmission is my weakest link I think, it's only a matter of time.

Thoughts on a turbo selection and what max power an open deck engine can handle? Please provide advice. I'm leaning 6466. This is a road car and I won't be tracking it or pushing it to the limit all the time.

Regards,

Eric

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023
@wtvlee

I'm at 596 whp right now on VTT GC 2.0's using 93+boostane+methanol (2 BM12 nozzles in CP) tuned by DocVu. Granted my turbo just failed... I recently updated my fueling. But when I dyno'd my car, on my old setup, I was using a walbro 450 274 lpfp and port injection with 550 mL/min injectors (evolution of speed intake and injectors). My lpfp was pretty much maxed out. I estimate that my methanol is contributing about 1/10 of the hp energy or 60 hp equivalent. I hope this helps.

To make 596 whp (Auto tranny) at redline I was at 25 psi boost and 9 deg timing.

Regards,

Eric

• Informative
Reactions: wheela

LiteWrk

Feb 11, 2024
There is a dyno graph of Precision turbos. 6266, 6466, 6766. It's driven on stock 3.0 2JZ. There isn't almost any difference in spool but the top end of the 6466 is matching for 6766. I know that these turbos are different from the Pulsar ones, but Pulsar copies Precision so it should be close and imo useful info.

I personally went with Pulsar 6466, since the spool should be the same and the price was same as well. I haven't installed it yet, so I can't give real data with Speedtech kit. Me myself, I'm trying to decide if I'm going to change the open 0.96 a/r turbine housing (that came with the turbo) with 0.84 a/r divided turbine housing to make the spool little better.

View attachment 91277
Did you go with speedtech bottom or top?. Is there that much of a benefit to get a divided turbine housing with a smaller a/r?

odesh

Private
Mar 6, 2023
Did you go with speedtech bottom or top?. Is there that much of a benefit to get a divided turbine housing with a smaller a/r?
I went with bottom mounted option since in Europe inspections can be really annoying with top mounted turbo. Plus the bottom mounted turbo should spool little faster compared to top mounted one, at least for Speedtech, according to other people.

And what comes to benefits of divided and smaller turbine housing... I really don't know if it's worth the $400. According to testing on 2JZ and RB30 engines, the 0.81 is the best overall turbine housing for 3.0L engines. But, they only tested open turbine housings. The spool difference between open 0.81 and open 0.96 turbine housings were around 200rpm, so basically nothing. So in the best case, 0.84 divided would be maybe 500rpm faster on spool compared to 0.96 open one. 500rpm for $400... Maybe worth for some people, IDK if it's for me and it's hard to pick the winner.

You need to also remember that open 0.96 would be better for engine, specially if you run stock internals. 0.84 divided could be too down torqy for the engine.