Replacement Battery Options?

Discussion in '3-Series' started by Cheezy, Nov 12, 2016.

Trader History (0)
  1. Alright guys I think my battery is on its way out, cranks a little longer than normal so I first though injectors but I checked my battery voltage before start up and it was 11.86v and it should be between 12.25-12.5 if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway I'm going to check my plugs to see if they're wet, but in the case they're dry I would like to be prepared with information on what battery's are safe to drop in that aren't oem. Optima? Braille? Deka? Not too concerned about massive weight savings but definitely don't want to be heavier. All answers help and are appreciated! Thanks

2. doublespaces

doublespaces Administrator

AZ
    2009 E93 335i
    I've heard of people sticking the Braille in, but I can't confirm anything about it.

3. I run the H8 AGM from Advance Autoparts, higher specs than the stock AGM and it works perfect. And if you use the Advance Autoparts discount code HUGE50 you will get $50.00 off. Or TRT41 for $40.00 off. I registered it using the Carly App.

If you want lighter, I run an odyssey PC925 in my RX-8 and it works well but you will need to keep it on a trickle charger if you don't drive it daily.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. You commented on my thread on n5x haha I'll check the h8 AGM, I think that's more like what Im looking for. Do you think the voltage is indicative of a battery on its way out?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  5. Danksies

Danksies Corporal

from an 2011 post, if you care about weight at all. i know ill be looking into a lighter battery: Official 135i Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest 135i List
    Battery: Stock - 53 lbs
    Braille B3121 - 21 lbs
    Odyssey PC680 - 14.99 lbs
    Odyssey PC925 - 26.0 lbs
    Odyssey PC1200 - 38.2 lbs
    Optima Red Top battery - 39.4 lbs

6. Antbox

Antbox Private

I got a Duracell AGM (east Penn, old BMW OEM on e46) for like 180 at batteries plus a year or two ago that works great.

7. doublespaces

AZ
    2009 E93 335i
    I want a hearty battery, but would like to shave a few pounds. Optima or Odyssey? I never owned an Odyssey before.

8. Antbox

Antbox Private

I've heard nothing but good things about braille. Had an optima in my s14. Didn't really think it was worth the price difference. No experience with Odyssey.

9. Optima doesn't make a battery four our cars. I just put a advance autoparts brand AGM h6 in today. Saved about 13lbs, 760coldca and 950 cranking amps. 120 capacity

10. Optima sucks, I went thru a red top a year before I gave up even though they were being covered under warranty. I also offroad and in the Jeep community the reputation is not so great either. They were sold some time back and they are not as good as they used to be. They just do a ton of marketing.

I have had an Odyssey PC925 in my RX-8 for a few years, it saved about 20lbs and it has worked well. I have an

11. doublespaces

AZ
    2009 E93 335i
    Okay, I'll give them a good look. Thanks!

12. Snelson3003

Snelson3003 Corporal Vendor

Got mine from the dealer. I called them and told them that a nearby dealer had a better price(BS) and the parts guy said he would match it. I used an online quote to reference and he didnt ask any questions. LOL

13. Jboyorak

Jboyorak Private

I'd recommend going with the standard equipment size of 49. You can fit a 47 or a 48 series battery in there. This will reduce weight, but you will be sacrificing both cold cranking amps and reserve capacity(which is the biggest power rating to look for on modern applications, as the modules and other electronics can be power hungry).

My personal recommendations is a 49 series agm battery. They are pricy and heavy(around 59lbs), but are best on any regularly driven car.

14. I never end up with a clear winner in the light weight battery dept. someone make up my mind for me lol.

15. Jboyorak

Jboyorak Private

What are you looking for in terms of "light" weight? What type of climate do you live in?

16. I live in OH the midwest, I dont drive the car in the winter however. Really looking for a AGM Battery thats close enough to factory charging profiles. I just dont want to reset the clock if its not on the charger after a day. A couple is fine lol

17. Jboyorak

Jboyorak Private

47 series agm in weighs around 39lbs and would be a good choice for that.

If it doesn't get below freezing, you could always look into a lithium phosphate battery. Super light, lots of power.

18. Jboyorak

Jboyorak Private

I run the 49 series agm. While it does weigh 59lbs, it comes with 170 min reserve compacity.

I have no worries about running my heated seats while on lunch without the car running. Or no worries about my battery getting to low when flashing my car. When I go racing, I swap it out with a 3lbs liFEph battery.

19. Lithium Phosphate, something along the lines of a Odyssey PC925?

Do you have a link to that 3lb Battery?

20. Jboyorak

Jboyorak Private

That looks like more of an agm battery.

12V, 360 LCA Lithium Engine Start Battery

That's the battery I use.