1. Login to disable the Ads!

E9X Suspension squeaking over bumps

Discussion in 'Traction | Handling | Drivetrain' started by veer90, Mar 9, 2018.

1. veer90

veer90 Sergeant

Ride:
    e90 335i 6MT
    So my rear suspension squeaks over speed bumps, potholes, etc. Yesterday we had a snowstorm in NY and I dug my car out from under 1.5 feet of snow... lo and behold it stopped squeaking. Update: humidity related, has nothing to do with the weight of the snow.

A mechanic friend said the top hats might be worn and causing the noise. Otherwise the car launches, turns, and stops perfectly. What do you guys think?

I replaced all the arms in the rear except for the main lower spring / shock perch (M3 control arms, rogue engineering toe arms, and ECS billet trailing arms). Recently just checked all the bolts and all were tight. KW V3 coilovers with about 20k miles and no signs of leaking shocks.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  2. doublespaces

doublespaces Administrator

Ride:
    2009 E93 335i
    Was the snow heavy enough to make it squat? If not, the only thing I can think of is some sort of moisture lubrication?

3. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Lieutenant

Ride:
    Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
    On the 5 series, in the front, it is always the front sway bar bushings that squeak in the cold.

Not sure if it helps but may get you thinking of something similar

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. veer90

veer90 Sergeant

Ride:
    e90 335i 6MT
    Sway bar bushings f/r are relatively new, less than 20k miles on them

5. veer90

veer90 Sergeant

Ride:
    e90 335i 6MT
    Update: seems to be humidity related, not related to the weight of the snow. It's been raining on and off here for the past few weeks and it stops making noise for a few days after it rains.

When it dries out it will always start squeaking again. Spring/shock perches, or main carrier bushings?

6. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Lieutenant

Ride:
    Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i

Didn't matter, new or not. Try some lube in the sway bar bushings; easy enough to try.

7. veer90

veer90 Sergeant

Ride:
    e90 335i 6MT
  8. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Lieutenant

Ride:
    Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
    I think it would work long enough to see if this is indeed the issue or not. If it works, then just wait to see how long it lasts then do it again with a more durable product.

9. Rob09msport

Rob09msport Sergeant

Ride:
    09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
    Wondering how you fared. Also do you have adjustable end links and you could loosen and retorque all arms in rear as they should be loaded when installed. I never knew this until this platform and assume many others don't as well.

10. veer90

veer90 Sergeant

Ride:
    e90 335i 6MT
    It was my Rogue Engineering toe arms... don't be an idiot like me and forget to put grease in the grease fittings lmao