What plugs with B58 Coils?

odesh

Private
Mar 6, 2023
Hi,

I just happened to stumble across Chinese seller that is selling the B58 coil bracket, extended coil legs and wiring for N54. Looks like exact thing that VTT sells. I was like... "well I can order one, why not", since the price was literally 3rd of VTT (go figure) and I was going to upgrade the coils in the future.

My question is:

VTT sells their kit with B58 specific spark plugs. I just got brand new 2 step colder NGK plugs that are recommended for N54 (97506). Can I run those spark plugs with B58 coils? Just wondering because the end of the plug is shaped differently. I know it shouldn't make any difference since the spark plugs works in the same, but just making sure so I don't cause any stupid issues if for example the contact is bad with differently shaped plug

If N54 plugs don't fit, what would be a recommendation with B58 plugs? Luckily I have 200 day refund time on those plugs and I didn't install them yet!

1711619079894.png

1711619177346.png

Reactions: wheela

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Nex time you may also share your findings..

You can run them but with this kit you also can run ungapped b58 stock plugs.

odesh

Private
Mar 6, 2023

You can run them but with this kit you also can run ungapped b58 stock plugs.
Good to know. Thank you for the info!

odesh

Private
Mar 6, 2023
I switched to B58 plugs. They mate up better.
Is it just the fit or can you actually see some difference.

Yeah, sorry about that. Found them on aliexpress, but I'm using mobile so their sharing option is not working for me. Won't copy to my clipboard.

But yeah, same brand but you can order it more easily.

Can share it when I get on my PC.

Reactions: JohnDaviz

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I'm successfully using either 96206 or 95248 which ever you can find quicker.
They are the S58/TU plugs. Similar in design to the "flex fuel" plug

Made 814WHP with them.
Is it just the fit or can you actually see some difference.

Yeah, sorry about that. Found them on aliexpress, but I'm using mobile so their sharing option is not working for me. Won't copy to my clipboard.

But yeah, same brand but you can order it more easily.

Can share it when I get on my PC.
Are you using the nexsys kit? Did you have any problems/symptoms of poor mate up with the n54 style plugs?

I'm considering the b58 coils upgrade, but want to run the 97506 plugs.

Yep. I had S55 plugs before with my PR kit, they'd probably work but the B58 terminal contacts the spring better on visual inspection. It's only money.

Any difference technically between the S58 and B58 plugs? I had better results with S55 plugs vs N53 plugs so curious.

Reactions: odesh and wheela

odesh

Private
Mar 6, 2023
Has anyone ran B58 spark plugs with stock/eldor coils on their car? Asking this, because postage from china usually takes 1-2 months for the bracket to get here. The car will most likely be tuned to single turbo conversion at that point and I need to run colder plugs. Like I said, I have 2 step colder NGK plugs in their package and I can return them since I haven't used them. Was thinking of returning those plugs and change them for B58 ones and run eldor coils while bracket arrives.

I tried googling this, but only reference I could find was on zeroto60s website:
1712036428906.png

Or just run NGK for one month and change them. Just don't want to throw away $100 worth of plugs for no reason.