E89 Z4 Track-ready Sleeper Build

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Thank you!

My plan indeed is to make a dual oil cooler V shape on the driver side for the engine.
Yesterday I scrapped the idea of a dct cooler on the passenger side and found that Hydra transformed the passenger side oil cooler to an additional aux radiator. Just like on the PPK except that one is on the driver side.
View attachment 55261

Next step is to measure the space I have to later introduce a bigger aux radiator on the passenger side.

That M4 Cooler there is an AMAZING idea! Need to check if I can fit anywhere under my car another cooler.

Diff cooler is also on my list but without priority right now.

Sombody was creative with placing an additional cooler:
I could fit one there also and try to get air there with air inlets like below M235CS
View attachment 55260

Not to get too far off topic, but I did a cooler on the driver side which clears the OEM brake ducts, washer nozzles, HIDs and also fits a fan:
1626886332249.png

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Would you tell me the dimensions of your aux radiator in the picture?

I did some lookup and found that BMW actually sells nice side aux radiators on 535D , M2 and some other cars.

I can get them pretty cheap but i couldn´t find dimensions yet.

View attachment 56034
View attachment 56035

I have only measured the S55 cooler:

The numbers are approximate.

Reactions: JohnDaviz

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Thank you both @doublespaces and @Asbjorn!

The added fan is a great idea!

I did some "research" on RealOEM and figured that i will go with part no 7802662 which seems to be an additional aux cooler used on
BMW 5' F07 GT, F10, F11, F18
BMW 6' F06,F12, F13
BMW 7' F01, F02

1627023121739.png

1627023548501.png

Measurements are in millimeter.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Thank you both @doublespaces and @Asbjorn!

The added fan is a great idea!

The fan definitely impedes my cruising air flow but my car is a city dweller and the only place I have issues is when I'm parked. This is a transmission cooler with the OEM radiator loop deleted so some sort of active cooling is required to keep temps under control as I live in the desert.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Thats nice. Another direction you could consider is the cayman side cooler + fan + shroud combos. They are made so that they push the air out the side in front of the wheels. I have never seriously considered it myself, but I like the concept if available at low cost somewhere.

While looking for the watercooler from BMW, which i bought yesterday :p, i found some Porsche parts... not interested :D The parts simply cost twice as much just because porsche. Also i got the aux radiator with the complete housing for 150€ instead of the original price of way above 300€.

The fan definitely impedes my cruising air flow but my car is a city dweller and the only place I have issues is when I'm parked. This is a transmission cooler with the OEM radiator loop deleted so some sort of active cooling is required to keep temps under control as I live in the desert.

I was already wondering where you live :D Over a lap on the Nordschleife, i had no temp issues with the transmission.
But i will certainly remove the heat exchanger from the water circuit and use the passenger side stock oil cooler for the DCT.

So my current plan is:
Driver side two oil cooler for the engine
Passenger side aux radiator in front of the dct oil cooler
A push/suction fan on the dct oil cooler as @doublespaces did it on his oil cooler. Or a suction fan attached on the aux radiator that will blow the air on the dct cooler.

I know this is not ideal but it is a start.

sancho78rus

Private
Jul 24, 2020
Russia
Ride
e82 135
So my current plan is:
Driver side two oil cooler for the engine
Passenger side aux radiator in front of the dct oil cooler
A push/suction fan on the dct oil cooler as @doublespaces did it on his oil cooler. Or a suction fan attached on the aux radiator that will blow the air on the dct cooler.
My current setup allows to run on stock n54 (MHD stage 1-2) without limp modes even with +35C ambient temps. I think it will be enough if you are living near Nurburgring.
I have now:
- side radiator (custom, bigger than OEM bmw "Performance Power")
- side oil cooler (custom, bigger than OEM)
- stock main radiator
I also have a huge vent in my hood - I believe it helps air flow very much. You can order vents on https://racelouvers.com/bmw-3-series/bmw-e90-92-2007-2013/

I will also look into modifying my bumper with extra air inlets as on the M235 CS
Think twice before cutting bumper. The problem is not in small inlet area. The problem is that you have no outlets. You can read very useful information on this topic: https://racelouvers.com/test-data/

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
IMHO running a reverse NACA duct on the bottom panel, behind where the downpipe drops would be an interesting experiment.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
IMHO running a reverse NACA duct on the bottom panel, behind where the downpipe drops would be an interesting experiment.

I am right now playing around and planning what to do. After a lap my engine bay is hot af when i open the hood. There is a mod just behind the water cooler to suck air directly below the car just like the m3 has. But creating a suction effect of the hot downpipe air might be also interesting.

E-hETGUQSGq830IR5x7cyrXvfdlbqVdBtU7ThRU1itCwKVg=s0.png

But i think i will add hood vents to my car eventually.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I am right now playing around and planning what to do. After a lap my engine bay is hot af when i open the hood. There is a mod just behind the water cooler to suck air directly below the car just like the m3 has. But creating a suction effect of the hot downpipe air might be also interesting.

View attachment 60147

But i think i will add hood vents to my car eventually.

I think the hood vents would be more useful and better aerodynamically.

I want hood vents I can open and close.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I think the hood vents would be more useful and better aerodynamically.

I don´t think there is a disadavantage. This is the M3 strategy to create a suction effect for the warmed air from the coolers towards under the car rather under the hood. As there is a flow under the car the added flow will not turn the physics below the car and create lift.

Of course hoods are also beneficial.

marv85

Private
Jun 14, 2018
Ride
E90 335i MT
@Asbjorn and all your track experts, I'm just starting my new E92 335i track build. I'm not going crazy but would like to do things properly from the beginning, because I'm sure I will push the car hard eventually.

I have the AR design sport oil cooler, BMW AUX radiator KIT, and ER intercooler. Do you suggest an upgrade for the AUX cooler? Are there any radiators that fit the stock piping ?

Regarding oil starvation. I will be putting on HP650 turbos soon. So I have the opportunity to make modification to my oil pan. Do you suggest any baffle design? Do you suggest I add a pump to draw oil from the front and push it to the back of the pan? anyone on here did that on an E92? I wonder if the Z4 has more space, generally, in the front.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
@Asbjorn and all your track experts, I'm just starting my new E92 335i track build. I'm not going crazy but would like to do things properly from the beginning, because I'm sure I will push the car hard eventually.

I have the AR design sport oil cooler, BMW AUX radiator KIT, and ER intercooler. Do you suggest an upgrade for the AUX cooler? Are there any radiators that fit the stock piping ?

Regarding oil starvation. I will be putting on HP650 turbos soon. So I have the opportunity to make modification to my oil pan. Do you suggest any baffle design? Do you suggest I add a pump to draw oil from the front and push it to the back of the pan? anyone on here did that on an E92? I wonder if the Z4 has more space, generally, in the front.

Do I suggest upgrading the BMW Aux radiator? No, not worth the risk and hassle.
Do I suggest any baffle designs? No, it doesn't work.
Do I suggest adding a pump to draw oil from the front and push it to the back? No, it doesn't work.

If you are using the ER intercooler like I am, there is space behind it below the stock radiator to fit another aux radiator. That would give you much more additional cooler frontal area compared to enlarging the BMW Aux radiator. Just enlarging the Aux radiator does not give you much vs the hassle/risks. Keep in mind that when it gets hot and humid you will still overheat in one lap (ie +110C coolant) even if you add a 2nd aux radiator like I did. So calculate your moves against these expectations. I know people say they have upgraded the aux cooler with the 1M and had great results but they are rarely being scientific about it.

Don't spend alot of effort on something that gets you 1in closer to the goal when you are still miles from it. Do something big or don't bother.

As for the oil starvation, yes it is an issue on braking and left hand turns. The only known solution for N54 is an accusump. Don't believe the companies selling oil baffles unless they provide actual data logs to prove their claims (they wont). @AzNdevil has just installed oil pressure logging and might do some more testing later this year.

marv85

Private
Jun 14, 2018
Ride
E90 335i MT
@Asbjorn thanks for the “to the point” answer. I will look behind that ER intercooler and figure out what I can do.

Regarding oil starvation, did the pump not help at all or is it that helped but not eliminate pressure drops completely? I recall you had issues with braking into left turns . You track your car pretty hard and I remember reading your bearings being very clean when you pulled them, despite your mods not helping. Hopefully my engine stays happy.