Technical #4 Cylinder is dead…any ideas as to what caused the failure?

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
I agree with @carabuser on his assesment regarding tune.
While many newbies got familiar with Ken because of MHD, prior to that MANY complaimed about his tunes.
As time passes, people gain experience, but quite a few people were unhappy with tunes back then.
So "highly regarded" to one, may be quite the opposite for another.
Ken didn't make that tune.

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
Back to topic. I still agree w @carabuser ...
Could have been an injector issue for sure.
I'm hoping I will be able to tell more once I get the motor apart. Who knows, maybe it's as simple as a cracked ring? (keeping fingers crossed).

As far as forged pistons and rods...what are some good options? Manley rods and JE pistons? I'm assuming a forged piston isn't going to be as fragile as the cast ones if there is a some little hiccup (like an injector acting up for a split second).

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
Typical symptom of a crack ring land is a half miss at idle, it sounds like a miss but its regular and non stop.
Bingo...that's exactly what I had. I had a bunch of vapor (blowby) coming out of the oil cap, but no oil.

As far as forged pistons go....are people still having issues with them triggering the knock sensors because of the loser clearances?

What about just pulling the head off, the oil pan off, and pulling the damaged piston/rod out the top and dropping a new oem piston back in there (assuming the bore isn't damaged).