Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Once people see these they appreciate the workmanship that go into making these and how good they actually look
but the price is a little steep I know but that's out of my control.

I could get them made in china but they want at least an order of 500 sets to make it worth their while.
It doesn't bring the price down much, maybe 80 dollars on the total cost and its a huge investment and would look as nice.

Seriously how many could I sell, 50 sets if i'm lucky.

The n54 market is slowly dying and only the most hardcore are persevering.

yea, i think when i priced mine out, they would have been about $200. no one is going to pay that, at least not enough to make it worth it. So i just left it as a proof of design, and moved on, lol.

• Agree
Reactions: martymil

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I bet Terry as sold 500+ of his cowl filters fwiw. But you would have to get costs down to that level, I agree.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Maybe 500 over the last few years when the car was very popular, but lots of people have moved on since then.

Most people don't care about covers but they should.

If I had a large order of lets say 100 pairs, I most likely could get it down some more but that's a huge investment on a maybe.

To make new covered filters is even a bigger investment on a dying problematic platform.

Once all the issues are fixed I think we will see people return.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I don't think the platform is dying at all. Now kids can buy an n54 powered car for 5k and replacement turbos for $900.

I bet you could do a budget build on an 07 auto awd and get 600whp for under 8k. No other platform I know of can do that.

Now, I am not a huge fan as I see shitty looking n54 powered cars with crappy wraps, slammed, stanced, etc. but it is what it is. But I don't think it is dying...especially with how many 335i cars were sold over the years.

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
Maybe 500 over the last few years when the car was very popular, but lots of people have moved on since then.

Most people don't care about covers but they should.

If I had a large order of lets say 100 pairs, I most likely could get it down some more but that's a huge investment on a maybe.

To make new covered filters is even a bigger investment on a dying problematic platform.

Once all the issues are fixed I think we will see people return.
The n54 is on its way out fast.The s55 is where the attention is going. The n54 is far to inferior. Far too expensive to get close to s55 stock block capabilities, and unfortunately for most is as good as its going to get after 13 years.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Doomsayers and tears. New vendors and products entering market constantly. New records at least every year. Race teams using the N54 135i for road course. Dunno what how that means "its dead."

What do you want? To slide down your rainbow into a pot of gold?

S55 has its own share of problems and it's still young. I'd rather have an engine where at least it's a known entity.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I just see what goes through the local shops and you don't see them much these days, well here in oz anyways.

Registrations and insurance going up substantially on vehicles over 10 years old and maintenance getting a lot more expensive
just like any other platform because of age, the platform is dying.

I've seen cars sitting for sale for months, some over a year and not get moved.

Yes there's still a market for it but only for the devoted.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Registrations and insurance going up substantially on vehicles over 10 years old

Really? In the states it only get's less expensive. When the retail value is 5k(as an example) your insurance is adjusted, you do not pay the same as when it was worth 50k off the show room.

I agree, we see more and more records being broken and what is best, it isn't the usual vendors but actual enthusiasts like your mate Duck for example. I loved it when VTT casted shade on his records repeatedly when we all know they have gobs more invested in their shop cars.

Maybe AUS imported significantly less N54s? I can't think of another car with the bang for the buck modded or stock.

Reactions: kayzrx82

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
From what I've been told most of his work now days is ford rangers and he is making a small fortune on it, but I cant speak for him.

Its not an opinion its just an observation what is happening with the n54 market here, it might not be the case in the US and I cant comment but there is bigger markets out there especially the European, Asian ones and they seem stagnant unlike the market for the F series which is thriving.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Ford Rangers and N54's ... shop is pretty general I surmise?

Filippo

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
Its a great entry level tuner car no doubt. Also now its great for the budget guy and late teens to early 20s can make great power off there part time jobs.Back during the beginning,The original msrp was around 40-43k. If one is to compare that to todays current 40k market you get a hell of a lot more for your money. Not accounting for inflation. A 2015 s55 is at that price point now. Boasting Numbers now over 1xxxwhp.which only took a few years. Many other V8 pony cars are way more capable now at 16-20k price point. Some people will find it hard to hear that this is NOT the new supra that has been hyped and pushed so hard.It is quickly becoming today what the prevy generations honda civic of the 2000’s was.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I've seen this "the Sxx motor is better" argument for 25 years around BMWs. Let me tell you where it goes, since I don't know shit about Civics. Nowhere. There aren't many. The price will briefly bottom out. Then it will go up. That's it. Substitute? Not a chance in hell. Too few. Too expensive. Been that way for 25 years. That is not to say that some won't go that route, of course they will, as it is a superior choice hands down. But if you think that's the answer to where the N54's demise lives .... hahahahahahahahahahaha ....

Filippo

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
We will revisit this discussion in a few years LOL.

I'll never sell my 1m but already looking to get my hands on something else to develop products for/on that
has a small cult following like the n54 but is still immature and hasn't been explored much.

Reactions: fmorelli

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
I've seen this "the Sxx motor is better" argument for 25 years around BMWs. Let me tell you where it goes, since I don't know shit about Civics. Nowhere. There aren't many. The price will briefly bottom out. Then it will go up. That's it. Substitute? Not a chance in hell. Too few. Too expensive. Been that way for 25 years. That is not to say that some won't go that route, of course they will, as it is a superior choice hands down. But if you think that's the answer to where the N54's demise lives .... hahahahahahahahahahaha ....

Filippo
Im speaking in terms of the $200-500 small function/vanity pieces. This cowl solution would have been sold out 5 years ago. The target client at this price point is not exactly the 13 year “old bag holders”car. The hyped up CAI, and inlets consumes that space/price point. This leaves little to gain for such an effort into pushing a product of this nature for this platform. Especially when a $200 product is currently 4% of the cars current value/ demand.

Reactions: fmorelli

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I also believe that the lowering basis coupled with the ongoing development we are seeing - all contributing to maturing the platform (reliability, longevity, ...) - unlocks these cars for track duty. Track guys are all about spending money to make cars go on the track. They'd rather start with a $10k than a $30-40k car, basis wise.

I know we are off-topic on @martymil Best Cowl Filter Covers On The Planet discussion. I think he's well concluded, though, that a market to production match is likely not there. Since you are working with @Chris@VargasTurboTech and the VTT boys, might not hurt to broach the subject for a qualified second opinion.

Filippo

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Market wise there are a lot of factors to balance. As the price of the vehicle comes down the platform development has gone up, the demographics of the new buyers start to change, and maintenance becomes a bigger motivating issue for upgrades.

The dedicated track guys numbers do increase with time but they’re a small percentage. It’s still a 3 series intended to be a fun 300hp grocery getter.

N54 sales are still very strong. S55 is a better motor but nowhere near as good a value. IMO the real sweet spot is a N54 mostly used within mostly factory limitations. I’ll be writing articles on that concerning my own car.

Chris

Reactions: kayzrx82