Aluminum flex disc (guibo)

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92
*shameless plug*

If anyone needs an aluminum febi quibo, I have one I don't need anymore w/ only a few thousand miles on it...

$100 shipped

ChrisNeil5

Lurker
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Sent you PM. Will check on it tonight. Hold tight.

Also if you or anyone wants or needs a 3.5 bar tmap sensor...used for 6 months, I am going to sell that for $60 also plus shipping of course.

And a mint condition N54 Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake set for the 335i (not 135) - $450 plus shipping. That thing goes for $1600 currently.
I'll take the tmap please

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Well that didn't last long. I've had what I considered heavy NVH since installing the aluminum guibo (along with a single turbo kit, stage 2+ clutch, and SMFW) from day one, but finally got around to taking a look to see how it was looking after about 10,000 miles. Holy moly was this thing smoked. This had zero launches, zero second gear pulls, only a handful of 3rd-4th gear pulls at moderate boost. Thank goodness I held on to the old rubber guibo that I took off, as I can just swap this one back on. I'm honestly surprised I wasn't feeling more ill-effects.

GLycPoN.jpg

focXN86.jpg

ZVPnOcB.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: doublespaces

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Well that didn't last long. I've had what I considered heavy NVH since installing the aluminum guibo (along with a single turbo kit, stage 2+ clutch, and SMFW) from day one, but finally got around to taking a look to see how it was looking after about 10,000 miles. Holy moly was this thing smoked. This had zero launches, zero second gear pulls, only a handful of 3rd-4th gear pulls at moderate boost. Thank goodness I held on to the old rubber guibo that I took off, as I can just swap this one back on. I'm honestly surprised I wasn't feeling more ill-effects.

View attachment 13830

View attachment 13831

View attachment 13832

Is that a Febi or BMW OE Aluminum Flex Disc? If it is a Febi, then I am not surprised. If it is a genuine BMW Flex Disc, then I am VERY surprised. I have one on mine for over two years with zero issues. that's with logging, pulls...etc. Hell, my transmission went out even before the flex disc even showed any signs of wear. To this day, zero problems with very hard driving.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
at least it held together and you where able to drive back, if the rubber one failed you would have to tow it back. it would cost you at least twice the price of a guibo.

Check how much backlash you have in you driveline and check your gearbox and diff flanges for movement up and down because even the rubber quibo wont last if you have an underlying issue.

I have the factory alloy quibo since new (6 years old) with no issues.

frontside0815

Corporal
Nov 9, 2016
Germany
The Aluminium one is the cancelled one!
They were installed in some diesels and other BMW´s but had a lot of damages....

BMW now only uses the rubber ones! Thats why it is so hard to get the Aluminium one...

I also changed the rubber for an Aluminium last december... Now i think going back to rubber since i saw some pic´s of broken ones and i think it´s not that nice!

Like i said..
I also changed out the alu against a rubber one. Fortunately my alu one looked good after around 10.000km of hard driving...
Just use Rubber Guibos and call it a day, dont know why you would Experiment with alu ones....

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Mine came alloy straight from the factory, no issues over 6 years old, there must be something not right for these to fail on your cars

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Is that a Febi or BMW OE Aluminum Flex Disc? If it is a Febi, then I am not surprised. If it is a genuine BMW Flex Disc, then I am VERY surprised. I have one on mine for over two years with zero issues. that's with logging, pulls...etc. Hell, my transmission went out even before the flex disc even showed any signs of wear. To this day, zero problems with very hard driving.

It's this one.

uW1qexM.jpg

at least it held together and you where able to drive back, if the rubber one failed you would have to tow it back. it would cost you at least twice the price of a guibo.

Check how much backlash you have in you driveline and check your gearbox and diff flanges for movement up and down because even the rubber quibo wont last if you have an underlying issue.

I have the factory alloy quibo since new (6 years old) with no issues.

The thing is that I'd been driving the car for some time now, and I have no reason to think this just happened suddenly or right before I pulled the car in the garage. Like I said, I was experiencing some NVH at low speeds in 1st and 2nd gear, but I attributed that from going to the SMFW from the stock DMFW. The guibo was used however, so who knows if it was defective before I put it on. I've never had any driveline problems at all, so I don't think anything is out of spec. I'm fairly confident that reinstalling the rubber guibo will fix everything, but if not I'll go back under and see if there's an underlying issue.

Should have stuck with the if it ain't broke don't fix it motto. Luckily it's pretty easy to swap these in and out.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Yeah...that's genuine. It could just be a bad batch. Mine has not one issue and performs better than the rubber under high power. Or you could have some underlying issue that is putting abnormal stress on the unit at angles that the unit is not designed to handle.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
No. Actually we intend to press the bushings out and fab our own aluminum guibo chassis.

Filippo
Can you fab about ten for a 90-person group buy and scam me out of my money?

All joking aside, I definitely see the appeal of an aluminum one and I'm really curious why some of these had failures too because I would like one. One would assume if BMW gave it the green light they functioned properly under what was deemed typical circumstances like you said, so I'm very curious on the circumstances here. @chadillac2000 , since you said you never launched the car what abuse *did* it take? How about something as simple as super-shitty roads filled with potholes maybe causing any driveline slop to bang around in excess?

Or maybe it's just a Takata part?

• Funny
Reactions: Ace718

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

All joking aside, I definitely see the appeal of an aluminum one and I'm really curious why some of these had failures too because I would like one. One would assume if BMW gave it the green light they functioned properly under what was deemed typical circumstances like you said, so I'm very curious on the circumstances here. @chadillac2000 , since you said you never launched the car what abuse *did* it take? How about something as simple as super-shitty roads filled with potholes maybe causing any driveline slop to bang around in excess?

I launch the shit out of my car and my guibo is unfazed.

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i

Cliffnotes of my experience -- keep in mind I absolutely baby this car:
  • tore down the car at 103,000 miles to install a single turbo and upgraded clutch.
  • purchased a pre-owned aluminum guibo seen in my last post with low miles to install while the transmission was out.
  • the part looks great when it arrived and the flywheel, clutch, transmission and guibo all went back in without trouble.
  • immediately began noticing NVH at low speeds in 1st and 2nd gear that would quickly go away as speed/gears increased, which I attributed to the MFactory SMFW, as most people have this complaint.
  • daily drove the car for 10,000 miles with no issues, no funny noises or vibrations aside from what I'd understood to be normal SMFW behavior. These 10,000 miles included 0 launches, 0 1st or 2nd gear pulls, only 10-15 WOT pulls through 3rd and 4th gear at 17psi because I quickly realized I needed more fuel to push it further.
  • pulled the car in the garage yesterday to start installing fueling mods, and as I was looking over everything and doing a bolt check on the subframe and suspension components I'd removed/resinstalled for the single turbo conversion, I discovered the busted guibo.
I also live in the south with pretty decent roads and have my daily route memorized to avoid all potholes.

I can really only chalk this up to a lousy part or design, especially given how this part has a somewhat mysterious past over the years across different models. My 103,000 mile rubber guibo still looks brand new, so I'll likely never mess around with going aluminum again.