DIY BL Coil Fix

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
This is how I feel as well.

My BIGGEST issue here is im PISSED BECAUSE,
1. When telling Alex about my issues he acted like there was no issue.
2. Never offered to swap my harness out. Never offered a refund for failed products.
3. Instead I feel like I was ROBBED. Cheated and lied to. Then he has the audacity to blame his customers and insinuate that issues are isolated (harness) and coils supplied with kits have been swapped out for cheaper aftermarket versions.

Lol, this so reminds me of JPworkz...

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Again this is why you must label what your product is and how it's made if its 3d printed. If he used what you said anyone in his position would show proof with photos of the material used to show it's quality. A lack of even informing the customer that it's 3d printed makes you wonder how cheap it really was made. You're giving him high assumptions, not everyone knows what 3d printing is let alone the difference between the material. Unless he shows proof of the quality of matrerial stuff he used then we can't assume it's what you suggested, but instead much cheaper which explains the harnesses breaking.

I actually never got into 3d printing because it's plastic. When metal 3d printing becomes cheaper I plan to invest on that. It has nothing to do with figuring it all put, it has to do with business professionalism. Running a product business it not like running a YouTube channel. You have liabilities and your actions/inactions will represent you as a company and your products.

Btw, if I built a kit I would have provided the files to 3d print for free. I did this a long time ago when I put together a DIY fuel pump kit long before we had all these people selling full kits and I released it for free for the community instead of selling them when I had alot of offers to buy them. (Not 3d printed products but a DIY kit)

Sucks I lost these photos so I never could fix the diys.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872811&highlight=walbro
Companies aren't required to tell you how they make the parts they sell you. By and large, that's not something the customer needs, or has a right, to know. In this case, because the connectors seem to be failing left and right, I would agree that it should have been disclosed that they were not a durable item, why, and how long it will be before you're shipped a quality replacement free of charge once they're manufactured. It's looking like he just made all of these as cheaply as he could to essentially crowd fund a better replacement without telling anyone that was the goal...all of this assuming that he is moving to an injection molded connector.

As for 3d printing metal...unless you're making parts that you couldn't otherwise cast or machine, it's not worth it, and won't be anytime soon. Currently, any 3d printed metal part will still need to go through post processing, which is going to be one or more of the following at least: sintering, final machining, slurry honing. It's definitely a branch of the 3d printing arena to keep an eye on, but it's just not quite there yet imo.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Is it just the one socket that is 3d printed or both? Because the r8 coil socket can be purchased
What all is between the R8 wire side connector and the BMW coil replica connector on the harness? If it's basically just a patch harness, then someone should just post the part numbers to the connector, the numbers for the pins, and make a quick diagram of the current harness being sold and then we'll have a solution...

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
What all is between the R8 wire side connector and the BMW coil replica connector on the harness? If it's basically just a patch harness, then someone should just post the part numbers to the connector, the numbers for the pins, and make a quick diagram of the current harness being sold and then we'll have a solution...
Or just replace cheap 3 pin sockets with a different molded set from something else?

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Is it just the one socket that is 3d printed or both? Because the r8 coil socket can be purchased

Someone with a harness could tell you because they would have the part number listed on it if it wasnt 3d printed.

Someone with a harness could also take it apart and post up photos, then we could disseminate it and make our own kits. Instead of making a harness clip users could choose to unpin from the stock harness and repin it into the r8 harness and that cuts out the need for 3d printing these.

Last edited:

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Someone with a harness could tell you because they would have the part number listed on it if it wasnt 3d printed.

Someone with a harness could also take it apart and post up photos, then we could disseminate it and make our own kits. Instead of making a harness clip users could choose to unpin from the stock harness and repin it into the r8 harness and that cuts out the need for 3d printing these.
@fmorelli care to do a little more documentation for the community? Good opportunity to provide a FULL fix.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
We are planning to build a few harnesses once the PU connectors become available from Precision. More than glad to post up all the information when that happens. I believe Precision is not that far off from having them available.

Filippo

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Maybe he has no desire to do so ?
You are missing the point entirely.

I'm not missing the point. Some of the people in here are acting like they have never modded anything before. Holy shit an aftermarket part that doesn't fit like OEM? NO FUCKING WAY.

Guess what? Aftermarket shit rarely fits. Often times things need to be slightly adjusted for them to work right, this is true for most vendors. This dude did us a huge favor offering an alternative and you guys are shitting all over him. If you hate his product so much either build your own that's better or move to a competitor's.

Most of the mods on your car took a few revisions to get right. Buster is running Fuel IT's shit which is the king of overpriced and he is bitching about a $300 wiring harness?

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
I'm not missing the point. Some of the people in here are acting like they have never modded anything before. Holy shit an aftermarket part that doesn't fit like OEM? NO FUCKING WAY.

Guess what? Aftermarket shit rarely fits. Often times things need to be slightly adjusted for them to work right, this is true for most vendors. This dude did us a huge favor offering an alternative and you guys are shitting all over him. If you hate his product so much either build your own that's better or move to a competitor's.

Most of the mods on your car took a few revisions to get right. Buster is running Fuel IT's shit which is the king of overpriced and he is bitching about a $300 wiring harness?

Maybe if you didnt assume shit you'd actually be smarter than most. I never bought any of my fuel it stuff. It came free when i purchased my car, so get your facts straight. I could have easily taken my fuel kit diy's and started making kits, but i didnt want to get into that. If you buy a kit that says plug and play it means its plug and play, not you need to hack up this hack up that and hope the plugs dont break on you in the process. Continue on defending him all you want, it doesnt change the facts.

Looks like we might have a oem type plug and play kit here soon.

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/ignition-projects-ignition-coil-set-bmw-s54-p3730.aspx

This kit is for the S54, but fits our cars too. At least according to this it says s54 and n54 run the same coils

http://www.bimmerworld.com/About-Us/BMW-Ignition-Coil-Info/

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Yep. So I went shopping overseas (love the Internet lol) and ordered up some connectors that looked close. When they came in, right triangle wrong 3-spade dimensions. But then Precision Raceworks decided to have the triangle plug made - I assume those dudes are much smarter than me and if the connector could be purchased, the would not have have paid to have the mold/connectors made.

So we are waiting on that. Barry Battle had some comments on the wires also, and some other stuff. He will fab the few harnesses we need and we'll post up the information and supply stuff so that others can choose to do this if they wish.

Filippo

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d

I appreciate the work Alex did. I don't expect perfection. But I also understand how others are not happy. I just chalk it up to win some lose some. He did some work to make all this come together, for sure. Sadly the coils didn't even come close to fitting, and the harnesses have significant issues in that they almost instantly break. That's a far cry from "holy shit an aftermarket part that doesn't fit like OEM" ... or "things need to be slightly adjusted". BTW did you happen to see how extensive the modifications had to be on the R8 coils? "Slightly" is not a word I would use to describe the change. And the harness ... not "slight" either - the 6 connectors that break each have an integrated IC that is cased in epoxy ... it is going to be a fair bit of work to fix the harness; enough so that we'll build it from scratch.

I can understand that some people are angry. I'm not ... but yeah unfortunately the BL product seems to have been a well-intended ... road to hell paved with good intentions scenario.

Filippo

Reactions: buster84

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I appreciate the work Alex did. I don't expect perfection. But I also understand how others are not happy. I just chalk it up to win some lose some. He did some work to make all this come together, for sure. Sadly the coils didn't even come close to fitting, and the harnesses have significant issues in that they almost instantly break. That's a far cry from "holy shit an aftermarket part that doesn't fit like OEM" ... or "things need to be slightly adjusted". BTW did you happen to see how extensive the modifications had to be on the R8 coils? "Slightly" is not a word I would use to describe the change. And the harness ... not "slight" either - the 6 connectors that break each have an integrated IC that is cased in epoxy ... it is going to be a fair bit of work to fix the harness; enough so that we'll build it from scratch.

I can understand that some people are angry. I'm not ... but yeah unfortunately the BL product seems to have been a well-intended ... road to hell paved with good intentions scenario.

Filippo

Honestly, it sounds like modding cars isn't for many of you. Modding the coils is way less involved than a ton of things on our cars: inlets, valve cover gasket replacement, etc. etc.

People on this platform are so pathetic PR had to redesign their coils too to make them PnP because the millenials couldn't figure out how to depin a plug. Had to laugh at that one....

You guys bitching should all go buy M3s and leave them stock

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
https://store.vacmotorsports.com/ignition-projects-ignition-coil-set-bmw-s54-p3730.aspx
This kit is for the S54, but fits our cars too. At least according to this it says s54 and n54 run the same coils
After this last go-around, you're probably not surprised that I'm skeptical. Lots and lots of people assumed these coils worked because they fired the spark plug. They couldn't see what they couldn't see and didn't think to take measurements and actually figure out if swapping parts would actually work.

I would not trust cross-compatibility commentary unless the vendor can back it up with the research that no one else seems to have done.

While I'm being Mr. Skeptic, lol, I'll also point out that "compatibility" may not go both ways - a plug designed for the N54 may work on an S54, but an S54 plug may not work on an N54. As we discovered, pushing them in the hole and see if the car runs is not a test of "working".

Both the diameter of the shaft and the fact that the shaft is not perpendicular to the cylinder head makes the first revision of mods posted simply not work ... in other words ... there are gotchas.

Filippo

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Yep. So I went shopping overseas (love the Internet lol) and ordered up some connectors that looked close. When they came in, right triangle wrong 3-spade dimensions. But then Precision Raceworks decided to have the triangle plug made - I assume those dudes are much smarter than me and if the connector could be purchased, the would not have have paid to have the mold/connectors made.

So we are waiting on that. Barry had some comments on the wires also, and some other stuff. He will fab the few harnesses we need and we'll post up the information and supply stuff so that others can choose to do this if they wish.

Filippo

im curious what parts you ordered? do you have photos? Where you trying to order the part that connects to the bmw harness or the r8 harness?

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
After this last go-around, you're probably not surprised that I'm skeptical. Lots and lots of people assumed these coils worked because they fired the spark plug. They couldn't see what they couldn't see and didn't think to take measurements and actually figure out if swapping parts would actually work.

I would not trust cross-compatibility commentary unless the vendor can back it up with the research that no one else seems to have done.

While I'm being Mr. Skeptic, lol, I'll also point out that "compatibility" may not go both ways - a plug designed for the N54 may work on an S54, but an S54 plug may not work on an N54. As we discovered, pushing them in the hole and see if the car runs is not a test of "working".

Both the diameter of the shaft and the fact that the shaft is not perpendicular to the cylinder head makes the first revision of mods posted simply not work ... in other words ... there are gotchas.

Filippo

This is true, but bmw lists the same part number for the elder plugs that fit both our cars and there engines. If it wasnt for that I'd be sceptical too lol.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Maybe if you didnt assume shit you'd actually be smarter than most. I never bought any of my fuel it stuff. It came free when i purchased my car, so get your facts straight. I could have easily taken my fuel kit diy's and started making kits, but i didnt want to get into that. If you buy a kit that says plug and play it means its plug and play, not you need to hack up this hack up that and hope the plugs dont break on you in the process. Continue on defending him all you want, it doesnt change the facts.

If you want a set of those coils for the N54 I"ll sell you mine for $300.