Build Log: M57 X5

• Login, members don't see Ads!

Torgus

Captain
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Does he sell snake oil too on the side lol

Please post when you get to try it out!

I have visit both forums they seem pretty quiet but that makes sense I guess. Not that many people are modding X5s. I'll head over and check out XBimmers again.

TwinTurboWagon

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
San Diego
It took me a couple months but I finally realized I live a few miles from a Proper station that has HPR, I go to the same station to fill my wagon with E85. It's nice that they don't over charge for the "performance" diesel, same price as Shell, Chevron, etc.
CcDRqMRsjMUPQyi5Zu_2VAJPIkUFvH3sLNz3=w1300-h975-no.jpg

A fellow X5D owner, @Torgus lend me his JBD to try out until I get deleted/tuned. Running it at 100%. It offers a nice bump in power.
cjTK0ihstwc-hbhUTsEju8zIDZT3vrIzzDKb=w1300-h976-no.jpg

Since I have multiple BMW key fobs from the same generation I had some custom keychains made to keep them organized.
ZV9_BZmXQlhOdnp2Gv7B91Uz8HUY-WuRtVVY=w1300-h976-no.jpg

Personalized plates arrived.
l_0mq9ITcj-h_zWj2q457Tyn5rWLMPLcVebB=w1300-h976-no.jpg

Happy to report it is centered, I haven't had great success in the past.
M_Pu-AQiGuEk-Mtx4BBJODcSwoO03lauvVrZ=w1300-h976-no.jpg

Some pics racked up.
YEe10NuwTsw4HN00XRVrpH8sWUADLYFzS6hX=w1300-h976-no.jpg

usB3tRKsK824Tl-sm_QqzLhiMHle7wccX_cq=w1300-h976-no.jpg

UAcduTjGm4iaVdx4QP54I6ufs3ZoEdrDY_6p=w1300-h976-no.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: Torgus

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
i dont know why I havent posted on this thread yet. Your truck is really coming along, looks impressive. I dig those foglights a lot, if I send you the parts would you make a set for me? :tearsofjoy:

Any reason why the DUDMD stage 2 tune didnt make the cut? I run his tune on my truck and it transformed it into a monster, but due to the hybrid turbos I have on my X5 it needs a little custom tweaking, which at the moment he has only tuned one 335d with hybrids. He not confident in sending me that tune to daily drive until he has more data on it. So I deal with a flatspot in the powerband until 3100 when the large turbo comes alive and the truck moves in a frenzy towards the rev limiter LOL.

And forgot to ask, but how did the fender flares turn out? About to pull the trigger on that ebay kit soon.

Torgus

Captain
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
i dont know why I havent posted on this thread yet. Your truck is really coming along, looks impressive. I dig those foglights a lot, if I send you the parts would you make a set for me? :tearsofjoy:

Any reason why the DUDMD stage 2 tune didnt make the cut? I run his tune on my truck and it transformed it into a monster, but due to the hybrid turbos I have on my X5 it needs a little custom tweaking, which at the moment he has only tuned one 335d with hybrids. He not confident in sending me that tune to daily drive until he has more data on it. So I deal with a flatspot in the powerband until 3100 when the large turbo comes alive and the truck moves in a frenzy towards the rev limiter LOL.

And forgot to ask, but how did the fender flares turn out? About to pull the trigger on that ebay kit soon.
When you say flat spot you mean like the smaller turbo is basically doing nothing until the switch over?

Tuning information on the M57 is so frustrating compared to the N54. At least we have flashing through the OBD2 connector now.

Which turbos did you pick up? Worth the $$$? Did you need to upgrade to the R90 pump? Running Meth? I may have asked you all of this before, I am slightly hungover and using a herbal remedy ;)

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
When you say flat spot you mean like the smaller turbo is basically doing nothing until the switch over?

Tuning information on the M57 is so frustrating compared to the N54. At least we have flashing through the OBD2 connector now.

Which turbos did you pick up? Worth the $$$? Did you need to upgrade to the R90 pump? Running Meth? I may have asked you all of this before, I am slightly hungover and using a herbal remedy ;)
I picked up TuneMyEuro stage 1s. Bigger compressor and clipped turbines. They were 1850 vs new Borg Warners at 1800.

Logging it with BG the small turbo spools instantly and I make like 18psi all the way til 3100 and then it's a rush to 34lbs. Need to either try messing with the changeover valve some more to divert more air to the big turbo or get DUDMD to play with the tune some more.

Tuning is tough given the small size of the turbos and BMWs nature of being over complicated...you inject too much fuel and you will have a big issue with melting stuff, lots of smoke, etc.

Last edited:

TwinTurboWagon

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
San Diego

Flares have fitment issue from being poorly packaged, I have been going back and forth with the company and their customer support is based in China so although they have been fairly responsive, communication has been slow. I asked them to send me a replacement set so I could simply swap them and return my originals, they are requesting I send my first set back, which I understand but a bit annoying as I have to swap fenders x2 and use these silly one time use rivets.

For the fog lights I am not opposed to making a few sets for those who are interested but at this time I don't have bandwidth to take on other projects as I am flipping a couple wagons in addition to my normal work.

With M57 tuning I am simply taking it all in and learning as much as possible. Coming from the N54 world where you can run JB4 + MHD for ~$500, have support, powerful user adjustments, and all the other features it seems criminal to spend $1,000 for a these "custom" off the shelf tunes which I believe are locked to the owner and vin. I am continuing to research the tunes and the options. If I am going to spend $1,000+ for something that is locked to the vehicle then I would want it to be customized for my vehicle, offering a few maps for different driving conditions and fuel. For example, I have access to HPR fuel so it would be nice to have a custom map for that, one for regular Diesel #2, and then one more maybe for economy/road trip.

I am open to all tuners at this point but I do have some favorites based off the price, power, and user feedback but M57 tuning seems to be a bit of smoke and mirrors where tuners simply share the bare minimum info, and the users aren't much into dyno testing, data logging, etc. so there isn't much "real" data being exchanged, just a dyno graph here and there and people saying they raced a Camaro and won. Again, very frustrating coming from the N54 world where sharing a data log and explaining what's going on is obligatory for anything tuning (or diagnostic) related. This lack of info only compounds the apprehension for paying big bucks for a one time flash. I don't know much about tuning but I can crawl my way through a data log and understand the basics of what's going on (with gas engine) but it sure would be nice to have more info shared on what's going on with the motor and tuning.

Torgus

Captain
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Flares have fitment issue from being poorly packaged, I have been going back and forth with the company and their customer support is based in China so although they have been fairly responsive, communication has been slow. I asked them to send me a replacement set so I could simply swap them and return my originals, they are requesting I send my first set back, which I understand but a bit annoying as I have to swap fenders x2 and use these silly one time use rivets.

For the fog lights I am not opposed to making a few sets for those who are interested but at this time I don't have bandwidth to take on other projects as I am flipping a couple wagons in addition to my normal work.

With M57 tuning I am simply taking it all in and learning as much as possible. Coming from the N54 world where you can run JB4 + MHD for ~$500, have support, powerful user adjustments, and all the other features it seems criminal to spend $1,000 for a these "custom" off the shelf tunes which I believe are locked to the owner and vin. I am continuing to research the tunes and the options. If I am going to spend $1,000+ for something that is locked to the vehicle then I would want it to be customized for my vehicle, offering a few maps for different driving conditions and fuel. For example, I have access to HPR fuel so it would be nice to have a custom map for that, one for regular Diesel #2, and then one more maybe for economy/road trip.

I am open to all tuners at this point but I do have some favorites based off the price, power, and user feedback but M57 tuning seems to be a bit of smoke and mirrors where tuners simply share the bare minimum info, and the users aren't much into dyno testing, data logging, etc. so there isn't much "real" data being exchanged, just a dyno graph here and there and people saying they raced a Camaro and won. Again, very frustrating coming from the N54 world where sharing a data log and explaining what's going on is obligatory for anything tuning (or diagnostic) related. This lack of info only compounds the apprehension for paying big bucks for a one time flash. I don't know much about tuning but I can crawl my way through a data log and understand the basics of what's going on (with gas engine) but it sure would be nice to have more info shared on what's going on with the motor and tuning.
That is annoying to hear about the flares. I have considered getting them.

FWIW a local shop tuned me via OBD2 port. He sends to logs to a group of guys in Bulgaria and then they send a new map. Re log rinse and repeat until the tuning is done. At least that was how the owner of the shop explained it to me. I liked that vs. a canned map or someone putting epoxy on my DME chip. Shipping the DME out is so lame. They also refused to push it more unless I installed an IC or meth. So someone was actually looking at the logs I believe.

Given OBD2 flashing is now available I don't see why anyone would run a canned OTS map or mail out their DME.

What needs to happen is whoever in europe is tuning these get's in touch with MHD and MHD makes an M57 app. Probably not enough $$$ for MHD given how much just the N54 scene must be making them but I can always hope.