Cam ledge alignment tool rental?

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
Anyone know where I might rent (or borrow) the tool to properly align the cam ledges? I'm not talking about the timing tool but the cam ledge alignment tool.

Thanks.

Neil

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I think you are looking for the thrust block setup. Often people confuse this with the camshaft locking tools, which are easier and cheaper to get. There may be alternate ways to achieve this; I'd caution if your engine builder is not an expert on BMWs they should likely follow factory installation process.

I know of no one doing BMW tool rentals at this time (there used to be a company a few years ago). You can buy these from China but it is still $300 and you'll have to wait a couple weeks for delivery.

Maybe this tickle will get someone to chime in on tools or alternative approaches. @GhassanAutomotive @martymil anyone else?

Filippo

• Informative
Reactions: SSDD

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I havent got one because I have access to one any time I need.

Hence I never rent or let anyone borrow my tools its like a girlfriend you share with a mate and it never comes back the same LOL

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I havent got one because I have access to one any time I need.

Hence I never rent or let anyone borrow my tools its like a girlfriend you share with a mate and it never comes back the same LOL
By that logic whomever is letting you use theirs should stop.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Not if they are using it on my car
You’re going to have to explain that response to me.

You’re saying you always have access to a tool. You also say you never let people borrow your tools because borrowed tools never come back in the same shape they left.

That implies you don’t return tools in the same shape you get them. Hence my joke that you shouldn’t be allowed to borrow this tool you say you have access to. So, what does it matter if this other person uses their tool on your car?

colo_evo

Corporal
Jun 6, 2017
Ride
E90 335i MT
Right or wrong I didnt use that tool, just used common sense when reassembling mine.