Technical Vanos/Timing issue?

Zelderlee

Lurker
Nov 26, 2021
Ride
2010 bmw 335i xdrive
2010 bmw 335i xdrive n54
So recently had my serpentine belt get eaten by the motor ruined the front main seal shut the car off before it did much else, replaced timing guides and both chains used torq specs from online sources used timing tool for cams QR facing up tdc cylinder 1 both cam tools fit pretensioned chain with tools that came with timing tools also put the pin into the fly wheel, both cam bolts new 20nm then 180 is what i found then i found another ones that said 47-48lbs also i put brand new turbos in with a custom tune but when i started it originally it sounded fine then it got bad, really rough idle you can hear it misfiring got the car warm and it sounded ok with a slight miss here and there i noticed when i logged my vanos req and vanos actual for exhaust was off intake was fine i readjusted timing since then and the values are really close now im wondering if the exh cam is slipping or if the vanos cam bolts get over torq can it cause this issue. timing seems to jump randomly.

Can lack of oil pressure cause this

LPFP seems to hit the 70-80 mark
HPFP seems to be fine startup sits at around 2500 at idle around 700
Full compression test all above 180psi
Tried new vanos solenoids
cam sensors
all new plugs and sparks good brand so two sets have been tried
flashed it back to stock to see if it was the tune tried other tunes etc
pulled valve cover to verify timing everything lines up

please any help would be appreciated im at the point where i will be pulling the valve cover again just to check timing and retorq cams

Last edited:

Kskyz

Lurker
Jun 25, 2023
i wouldn’t be able to tell you since mines doing same thing. timing is being majorly corrected and i actaully got a super knock did you find out what it was? cam ledges?

Kskyz

Lurker
Jun 25, 2023
i also just replaced both vanos and 2 o2 sensors one of my map sensors is a new 3.5 bar and a stock one

Kskyz

Lurker
Jun 25, 2023
this log is where superknock happened i went to do pull in 1st after it got up to temp at end of log my vanos isn’t perfectly accurate either and i haven’t touched timing chain yet not sure if mines been done before i got it a few months ago i know my problem is bc i need a custom tune and i might’ve hurt the motor so i’m checking for cracked ringlands don’t know how much good this log will do you for referencing your problem

Attachments

• 2023-06-24 21_46_50 IJE0S v10.0 stg 2+ e30AT_xHP 2.csv
    258.4 KB · Views: 15

Zelderlee

Lurker
Nov 26, 2021
Ride
2010 bmw 335i xdrive
this log is where superknock happened i went to do pull in 1st after it got up to temp at end of log my vanos isn’t perfectly accurate either and i haven’t touched timing chain yet not sure if mines been done before i got it a few months ago i know my problem is bc i need a custom tune and i might’ve hurt the motor so i’m checking for cracked ringlands don’t know how much good this log will do you for referencing your problem
Yeah if you are using upgraded turbos and no tune you can cause serious damage does it give you a miss fire on any cylinder if the car has old gas it will run like shit too in my experience

Kskyz

Lurker
Jun 25, 2023
Yeah if you are using upgraded turbos and no tune you can cause serious damage does it give you a miss fire on any cylinder if the car has old gas it will run like shit too in my experience
got a custom tune it’s so much better got it from jsr tuning 24psi