CES Motorsport - SteedSpeed Twin Scroll Manifold Part2

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
Should have taken a diesel mani and just re-sold it like I did :)

Ha I talked to Leen, I still have an option of any manifold I want but never pulled the trigger just yet. I just might do that though to support my chump car.

chrisdfv

Corporal
Aug 29, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
Saw this at steer car takeover yesterday.
D7F0BE50-3F3A-4F3B-9BCD-3A25452F30F8.jpeg
4841FCA0-6ADE-4C2E-8127-29C614022156.jpeg
4BB6AD2D-1772-4F62-8DB9-430E9B7151D5.jpeg

JohnCES

Lurker
Dec 8, 2016

A little more info about this on FB... This 4th gen steed manifold looks like it's the winner! Finally! Been pleased so far with the results after throwing the car back together in just a few days to make the SCT event! More updates to follow...

Reactions: doublespaces

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Still waiting to see it spool faster than a Motiv kit and make more power up top. I guess Leen wasn't able to fit the efr like he was adamant he could after all. Good to see it finally running though.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'd like to see the gen2 3582 making 750+ when they get fueling.

You also have to consider that spool will improve when E85 is used.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Not saying it isn't. Leen was just a complete douche when he first started on about how he would have this kit out in 3 months tops and that it would out perform every other kit in every way...when he knew nothing about the platform at the time.
In my experience, these are not people that come from the BMW world, but from other turbo worlds I'd surmise. Moving from old school BMW world to the new-school turbo BMW world, this kind of observation no longer surprises me.

Filippo

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Nice to see it out...anyone want to guess on cost?

I'm going to say 7k starting. Which is much more than it should cost mind you. I doubt many are willing to pay what CES is going to charge: http://www.cesmotorsport.com/documents/190.html

As much as I like the idea of a Steed Speed manifold for the N54 unless he is willing to sell them alone so people can make their own kits you are not going to see many installed which is a shame.

2k turbo
$750 manifold
1k in misc. block offs, downpipe, wastegate, etc
1,250 in profit/margin
sell at 5k.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
If I was going to spend 7k+ on a turbo kit, I'd be looking at a motiv setup. Been waiting on the CES kit forever. Not holding my breath anymore.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
If I was going to spend 7k+ on a turbo kit, I'd be looking at a motiv setup. Been waiting on the CES kit forever. Not holding my breath anymore.
I'm happy to see another bottom-mount kit actually hit the market considering Motiv is the only one still available in 2018, but unfortunately I think most people are going to have the same line of thought. If it's going to be within spitting distance of the pricerange that a company like Motiv has a kit for, I just don't know that many people are going to adopt it at this point. I truly hope I'm wrong because I like seeing different builds, but people on this platform seem to typically fall into two categories: A) they'll go with whatever is the popular, "groupthink" brand and setup for the route they want once they save up enough money (which will be the tried-and-true Motiv kit for bottom mount) or B) they have enough money & time + other cars that they can handle the downtime and cost to throw on the biggest, most-powerful setup currently available (which will probably always be a topmount for the N54).
Motiv new turbo kit is coming out soon they're adding t4 flange to their manifold so you can run bigger turbos that will support up to 1200whp
From a pure power standpoint this is obviously impressive, but I really wish a company like Motiv who likes to push the envelope would be focusing on putting that power to the ground right now. We have one car in the 9s and he's using a two-speed transmission from 6 decades ago. Everyone else who even gets close to 1200hp is going to either go through transmissions like the rest of us go through spark plugs, or they're going to start competing for longest lasting multi-gear burnout on drag radials.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I'm happy to see another bottom-mount kit actually hit the market considering Motiv is the only one still available in 2018, but unfortunately I think most people are going to have the same line of thought. If it's going to be within spitting distance of the pricerange that a company like Motiv has a kit for, I just don't know that many people are going to adopt it at this point. I truly hope I'm wrong because I like seeing different builds, but people on this platform seem to typically fall into two categories: A) they'll go with whatever is the popular, "groupthink" brand and setup for the route they want once they save up enough money (which will be the tried-and-true Motiv kit for bottom mount) or B) they have enough money & time + other cars that they can handle the downtime and cost to throw on the biggest, most-powerful setup currently available (which will probably always be a topmount for the N54).

From a pure power standpoint this is obviously impressive, but I really wish a company like Motiv who likes to push the envelope would be focusing on putting that power to the ground right now. We have one car in the 9s and he's using a two-speed transmission from 6 decades ago. Everyone else who even gets close to 1200hp is going to either go through transmissions like the rest of us go through spark plugs, or they're going to start competing for longest lasting multi-gear burnout on drag radials.
Pretty sure Motiv has the hp and RQ record, at least for a single turbo. They also don't run 1/4 miles races, they stick to 1/2 mile and track racing with their 135 racecar.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Pretty sure Motiv has the hp and RQ record, at least for a single turbo. They also don't run 1/4 miles races, they stick to 1/2 mile and track racing with their 135 racecar.
Yeah like I said, they're an impressive company and I dig what they're doing, but I don't think any of that info contradicts my points either tbh.

The average N54 owner still won't be able to put that power down in a useful way right now. Motiv might be able to (or rather, *probably will* if they're designing that kit) but there's a big difference between a performance company's shop car and Joe Shmo's street or even dedicated track car. Tony was able to hit 800+whp 900wtq on a twin setup without breaking the trans and even he was of the opinion that none of us would ever be able to pull off the same unfortunately.

I'm not trying to discredit them at all - actually I'm a huge fan of Motiv - I was just saying I would personally like to see more reliable and accessible drivetrain options rather than a kit allowing me to throw another 400hp at a car that can't make full use of its current power levels anyway.