Did anyone end up making their own R8 coil harness ?

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
The reason I'm asking is because I believe I will have to upgrade my coilpack setup soon and I have a few questions. I have been trying to make the cleanest looking setup and at the same time something that can stand the heat from my top mount:
img_20190704_003728-jpg.jpg

So rather than running the stock harness and the R8 adapter harness I'd rather make my own and eliminate as much as possible of the useless stock wires.
My question is:
Can I run the R8 coilpacks only off the signal from the dme and power from these 2 points or do I still need the stock power and ground on top of these ?

Reactions: JimboFresh206

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
There's a thread on bummerboost that died off.

I personally lost interest, and have been waiting for my new VC to try r35 coils, which can be wired the way your asking about.

Sockets:

Dwell:

Last edited:

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
I love that!

I would de-pin the oem harness, but this is the next weekend endeavor for-sure :)

Reactions: pmey335

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Not sure if you saw this already but hope it helps

Thanks, I'll be looking into it. I already got the BL harness but I hate having 2 harnesses around for no good reason. I will be looking into it to clean up all the wiring soon.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Note some of the commentary about the voltage step-down. Reliability of the circuit matters. Mickey Mouse wiring is also a factor. Cool that he went after this though - good video and very good explanations. But IMHO DIYing this to a solution I'd want on my car would require much more.

p.s. Don't forget to cut the rubber nubs at the bottom of the coil (he didn't do that). They interfere with the coil sliding all the way down in the N54 shaft ;-).

Filippo

• Informative
Reactions: The Convert

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Dudes circuit would work fine although I'd want a little more isolation from noise and feedback in case you get flyback voltage for a long term solution. I still think bypassing the internal ignitor in the dme is the best way to convert to smart coils, then you don't need to worry about any of this.

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Why do people jump through all these hoops? Either go with a dumb coil like the PR, or just run a Delphi coil. S55's makes 1100WHP on the stock coils no issues, of those two we prefer the PR's. Those mercury coils are robust, and will last forever. We did some testing last weekend, and swapped around plugs, and coils at around 900WHP. No real changes or misfire issues on either option. We did end up mushrooming the Delphi coil tips from heat, and they don't like to stay on the plug very well. We made a cover to hold them down and that fixed the issue. We plan to continue to run PR coils until the switch to the adaptronic for spark which may not be for a while. We actually gave boost control back to the factory DME and the boost control is much more stable now. The car makes 600+WHP on 12-13psi. 800WHP around 22-23 psi. 900WHP around 30 psi 65% wgdc. We also had some big breakthroughs on getting consistent fueling without completely doing away with the DI which we were considering as we're done spending money on those garbage injectors. Should have some new results soon to post soon.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
We also had some big breakthroughs on getting consistent fueling without completely doing away with the DI which we were considering as we're done spending money on those garbage injectors. Should have some new results soon to post soon.
Kind of sad to hear that...only because I would love to see more progress on PI only control for these cars as it would do nothing but increase the capability of dual injection in the long run.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
I thought the video was pretty cool so hats off to whoever made it.

Peronsally not had any issue with the factory coils though on cars up to 800whp. I saw some marketing that moving coils would help the ECU live longer, that looks like bunk to me too.

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
I thought the video was pretty cool so hats off to whoever made it.

Peronsally not had any issue with the factory coils though on cars up to 800whp. I saw some marketing that moving coils would help the ECU live longer, that looks like bunk to me too.
Terry, I need to talk to you about a tune for my car. What's the best way to contact you?

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Kind of sad to hear that...only because I would love to see more progress on PI only control for these cars as it would do nothing but increase the capability of dual injection in the long run.
You might be pleasantly surprised by what we are doing if that is what you are looking for, but odds are Tony won't want to break it down too much as he loves to keep things he is working on in the lab close to the hip.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
You might be pleasantly surprised by what we are doing if that is what you are looking for, but odds are Tony won't want to break it down too much as he loves to keep things he is working on in the lab close to the hip.
I’d love to hear/read about it. Anything that pushes this platform forward is huge imo. I mean, we’re still behind 90’s Hondas in a lot of ways, granted they had a decade head start.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I’d love to hear/read about it. Anything that pushes this platform forward is huge imo. I mean, we’re still behind 90’s Hondas in a lot of ways, granted they had a decade head start.

I mean to be fair there are a lot of platforms way behind Hondas. Not sure if you follow Frustrate EG but he destroyed that red GTR from Texas that was talking shit on everyone.

Also King got their S2000 in the 6’s banging gears so that’s a league of its own there.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I mean to be fair there are a lot of platforms way behind Hondas. Not sure if you follow Frustrate EG but he destroyed that red GTR from Texas that was talking shit on everyone.

Also King got their S2000 in the 6’s banging gears so that’s a league of its own there.
Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate Hondas, they’re where I started long ago. A manual trans S2000 in the 6’s? Good god! I couldn’t shift fast enough, let alone do any of the rest of it in that time. That’s truly impressive.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
I am allowed to share this log of an close to 850WHP pull with rail pressure dropping to sub 100psi during spool up and holding between 100-200psi for the rest of the pull. This is the fuckery he is working these days.

850WHP Dual Fuel.jpg

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate Hondas, they’re where I started long ago. A manual trans S2000 in the 6’s? Good god! I couldn’t shift fast enough, let alone do any of the rest of it in that time. That’s truly impressive.

It's pretty incredible really. Still using the F22