Huge clouds of smoke after turbo swap

pmey335

Private
May 8, 2019
New York
Ride
335i
Hey guys, so I recently ordered DynamicAutowerx Stage 2+ for my BMW N54.

Now that I have installed the turbos, I am experiencing a big issue: the car is smoking incredibly much. Clouds of white smoke (which I’m guessing is oil related).

Before the turbos, my car smoked but not this much. Is this normal after a turbo swap?

i let the engine idle for 25 mins and then again a day later for 10-15 and as soon as I put it in drive, the car just starts smoking by the clouds.

Any insight that maybe I did wrong?? I’m really lost here

Reactions: Davidgn54

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I'm glad it worked out for you, I don't know why the front don't fit, we have fitted a number of these with no issues.

But hey its fixed and thats all that matters

Are you saying you installed RB drains with or without shaving the metal off the drain for the front? And if so, are you also saying your turbo coolant line does NOT jam up against the front RB connector on the side, after shaving it down?

Because that is the issue. It appears that any more shaving would compromise structural integrity of the metal piping itself on the RB connector. A poor design as far as I can tell.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Just remembered this thread

Here are some pics showing the rb drains fit with no issues.

The only thing we do is space out the water pump of the block to clear the front drain

IMG_20200627_025951_624.jpg
20200625_124517.jpg

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
The only thing we do is space out the water pump of the block to clear the front drain

I don't know if you realize what you are trying to say and what you wrote contradicts. Clearly there are fitment issues.

Wow... just got voted down for saying a fact. Martymill said there were no fitment issues, then wrote that he had to adjust the waterpump position in order to make the lines fit.... wtf? Am I insane? That is a fitment issue. YOU HAVE TO ADJUST things to make it fit.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Torgus

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
They fit perfectly without issud and no adjustment, we just spaced out the water pump for a.little extra clearance so it makes it easier to take off the main water pump hose so how is that a contradiction.

Buy it or not I really dont care but the drains fit, how hard you make the install is up to the individual

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
They fit perfectly without issud and no adjustment, we just spaced out the water pump for a.little extra clearance so it makes it easier to take off the main water pump hose so how is that a contradiction.

Buy it or not I really dont care but the drains fit, how hard you make the install is up to the individual

I did buy it. It did not fit. I made a video of the grinding as instructed by RB. Still didn't fit. Others have the same issue in the States. I would be interested to see UK rt hand drive installs with no issues as you are saying it may be right hand drive that fits better... Right now, I have a useless front RB line in the drawer collecting dust.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The workshop has fitted at least 30 sets here without issue and they where designed for lhd not our rhd so I dont know why its not working for you guys

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
The workshop has fitted at least 30 sets here without issue and they where designed for lhd not our rhd so I dont know why its not working for you guys

Well, if it fit with no issues, then RB would not have instructed anyone grinding to be done. So the fact that RB tells use to grind the fittings in order to fit properly tells you that there are definitely fitment issues. The front one just will NOT fit without jamming up the metal line next to it and I see already that if you attempt to jam them together, you're asking for a reinstall very quickly after initial install, and... you may possibly be up shit creek trying to repair a damaged engine block mating surface due to the intense metal on metal pressure from the lines to the aluminum block. This is why I did not attempt to force the issue after spending hours grinding down the front drain line.

Installed new stock lines and zero leaks or issues.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Do these look like they have been grinded.

These are my original hi flow drains being refitted last week

View attachment 40074

They look nothing like the ones RB sent me. Mine are silver aluminum. So your argument is based on irrelevant comparisons. Furthermore, you still didn't explain why RB explicitly says, "You may need to grind to fit correctly." < --- THAT alone should throw up red flags.

Reactions: pmey335

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Do these look like they have been grinded.

These are my original hi flow drains being refitted last week

View attachment 40074

Gonna have to call bullshit on this photo dude.

See attached photo WITH LINES BOTH INSTALLED. This is with original stock lines. And it's THAT CLOSE. I don't see your front lines connected. You literally showed a useless photo without the offending line installed.

turbo 1.jpg

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
LOL really I do not care one bit, I just posted a few pics use zoom on the original first pic you can see it fitted and working.

Buy them or not, I have no interest in these.

Keep using the stock ones.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
LOL really I do not care one bit, I just posted a few pics use zoom on the original first pic you can see it fitted and working.

Buy them or not, I have no interest in these.

Keep using the stock ones.
I don't see any photos of completed install. Top photo shows both lines installed but no RB lines visible. Bottom photo shows RB lines visible but no coolant lines installed... wtf man.