N54 White smoke

drymite

Jun 18, 2023
i know theres a couple posts about white smoke or smoke in general turbo seal etc but i been on almost every e90 and 1addict post form related to n54 smoke i couldnt find my exact situation. i have a E92 335i build date july 06. i bought the car with bad turbos and almost everything neglected i didnt mind since i had many spare parts from my totaled N54 that got rear ended by a truck. i changed the Valve cover with gaskets and bolts uro PO was a RTV master every gasket i can think had some rtv on it. so did vc and i did the oil pan gasket while swapping my turbos. btw before i decided it was turbos i had the car warmed up everytime on decel i would get clouds of smoke and in idle when i held it at 1200 rpm it would blow clouds.........so me being in kinda of a rush to have it running since i can swap it in around 1 day or so on jackstands. i bought brand new Rotomaster Catridges which is supposed to meet OE spec i swapped the catridges i followed instructions and went over everything multiple times making sure i dont screw the process. theres no binding at all the compressor wheel and turbine spin freely.. i installed on my car i primmed oil for around 60 secs or more taking 1 min cool intervals every 15 sec to let the starter cool.. i start the car everything seems fine no smoke on decel at opertating temps i had a 2ef8 thermostat code i swapped the thermostat with a new unit. i figured to be easy on it for couple hundred kms. 200km later after i took it on a 2 hr drive highway i exit the ramp and i see a bit of smoke from the tail pipe. im like 8 mins away from home its puffing small clouds randomly along the way back. i get home i hold revs at 1200 i get white smoke from tail pipe i obviously got pissed off and i turned off the car n went home for 10 mins roughly got back down to find the reserivor coolant hose was punctured. so i thought since its over the front turbo thats exactly where all the coolant was dumping and it dumped almost everything in the system. i thought that might be the cause of the smoke. i fix the hoses tighten everything i bleed the car. i go on a drive now i warm the car up i got a small puff of smoke at a stop sign. this only happenend after oil temp got to 210 i drive more i got a bit more smoke noticed my heat is off i turn on the cars heat and i drive for anothjer 20 mins no smoke. i drive back home and i turned the heat off and it started smoking again. figured these rotos are shit. i turned the heat back on and i held the rpms at 1200 no smoke i turned it off no smoke. im now super confused i leave it for next day. i cold start the car everything is fine i drive around and at around when the oil hit 170f i got the slightest smoke. i continued till it was completely warmed up now with the heat on or off there no smoke. i got the car from PO with it being straight pipped with VRSF CATLESS Dps. would this cause the slight amount of smoke that happens randomly? can anyone explain what the fluctuation with the heat being on n off was or just coincidence? i did notice when i was swapping the turbos that the front turbo drain line was kinked i straightened it out as much i could im not sure if that's whats causing the occasional smoke

the only reason i wasnt so skteched out about rotomaster is because i had on em on my previous n54 that got totaled and i was running mhd stage 1 + and i had em on the car for around 57k km no smoking but that car still had all the mods except catless and it was stock exhaust all the way and to add on i flashed the car to Stock tune before i started driving on the new turbos.
the car has BMS 5 inch inter cooler
RB PCV Valve upgrade
VRSF Charge pipe with diverter Valves
VRSF Catless downpipes and straightpipped all the way back

I Apologize for the long writeup

drymite

Jun 18, 2023
i haven't actually ill check it right now
So i checked and theres very little vacuum but doing that helped me find a boost leak at the bottom of one of the canisters started hissing I fixed that. Got it to operating temps. No more smoke at all i drove it for a couple of hrs.nothing on decel or from stop to go . Could a boost leak cause white smoke?

Reactions: Torgus

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
So i checked and theres very little vacuum but doing that helped me find a boost leak at the bottom of one of the canisters started hissing I fixed that. Got it to operating temps. No more smoke at all i drove it for a couple of hrs.nothing on decel or from stop to go . Could a boost leak cause white smoke?
It's not a boost leak, it's a vacuum canisters. WGs work by the vacuum. I don't know all the physics, but in short, yes. Better check it twice more ))

• Agree
Reactions: drymite and Torgus

drymite

Jun 18, 2023
It's not a boost leak, it's a vacuum canisters. WGs work by the vacuum. I don't know all the physics, but in short, yes. Better check it twice more )
Yee i checked everything . No Vacuum leaks at all and no smoke . I figured a vacuum leak would cause some smoke i jus didnt think it would be white from a vaccum leak but then again sometimes the colour and the lighting outside doesnt help with exactly pinpointing if its white/grey/blue.
Thank you

Reactions: Sava666