leaking wastegate actuator?

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
Just one.

Is this something to really be concerned about?

I'm pretty confident my rear one has been not holding vacuum since I did my inlets, 2 years ago. So that's roughly 60,000 miles and oodles of track time.

So that means my front turbo only is responsible for controlling spool and boost pressure. And with that the WGDC I'm asking for is due to the rear not holding vacuum. I'd guess I'm asking for more DC than I will be once I fix this.
As tuners, is your tuner able to spot something like this? I am my tuner so I have no one to blame for not seeing it.

On the mightyvac I can only manage about 5" and it falls back to 0 almost immediately. That seems to translate in enough arm movement to take up the rattle, LOL.

The one thing I find strange is that my car seems to run stronger than most, is more reliable than most and just works. Is there an advantage to reducing the work the rear has to do to help out in proper running, adds to longevity?
fwiw, I have 146,000 on factory stock turbos. 100,000 above 20 psi, last 15,000 at 26psi. SO it's not like I'm not working them hard.

ansch

Lurker
Sep 23, 2018
Ride
E82 135i SGM
swap them around and see if it runs the same or different to test your theory?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
If you’re going through the trouble of reversing the waste gate actuators why don’t you diagnose the vacuum pressures while doing it using a simple automotive vacuum gauge (a must-have tool in the garage). Here’s the one I have:
Actron CP7803 Vacuum and Fuel Pressure Tester Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006V2BS2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DnosDb3NTMVP6

I thought my waste gate actuators were also not working while chasing down a possible boost leak so I hooked it up to make sure I had good vacuum, which I did.
4EE26F78-39B7-415B-B9AB-3174A742F334.jpeg

ansch

Lurker
Sep 23, 2018
Ride
E82 135i SGM
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the solenoids.. Definitely try other diagnostics first before ripping half the car apart to get to the wastgates :D

• Agree
Reactions: JBacon335

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Have you replaced the vac line going to the actuator? If that is not the issue it is possible and inexpensive to replace the rear actuator. I am surprised you are able to hit those boost levels with it leaking like you say.

• Agree
Reactions: JBacon335

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
No.

You're not getting 26lbs out of only the front turbo.

LOL

This is what I want to hear.

But I'm still fixing it.
Gives me an excuse to put my IS mount in and heat wrap the inlet. Not sure why I've been putting that off for so long ... LOL