Manual Operation of Radiator Fan

Coupes66

Corporal
Dec 26, 2017
Ride
BMW 335i N54
I was wondering whether there is any simple way of manually turning the radiator fan on and off. The reason for the question is for drag racing purposes. When I am drag racing, the fan does not come on because usually the engine temperature is below normal operating temperature as a result of waiting in the staging lanes. As the fan, when operating, pulls outside air through the intercooler, if the ambient temperature is 16C (61F) and you were able to manually start the fan prior to having a run so that the IAT is lowered before the run then more power would be produced off the line. My IAT on the start line normally ranges between 100-110F and drops during the run before increasing again before the finish line. With the fan running, I believe the IAT could be reduced considerably. What are your thoughts on this?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I've asked for this feature from mhd for a long time, jb4 has it so I cant see it being hard to implement.

I have the same problem, on the street there is no issues but when you wait in line for 15 min to get a run it gets ridiculous.

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
I'm pretty sure they have an XDF available to set the threshold low enough to where it comes on where it would help, but I don't think anyone has figured out a trigger for manual operation.

@RSL i know has done work with the xdf

Reactions: RSL

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
At any decent track, if they see you running your AC and dripping water on the track they will kick you out. So no, turning on the AC is not an option

Just turn your AC on full blast. Or just wire up a switch and a relay, stupid simple.

Since the fan is always getting a full 12volts and is only turned on by DME logic, it is not that simple. This was discovered in the other thread dedicated to this

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
I would think easiest way would be spoofing a temp sensor
With sport cooling enabled I get my low speed fan on at 225 degrees. So yeah, if there was a way to tell it 225 degrees from like 170 and up, that would work for me

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
FMIC would need to be sealed to the rad/fan to make most efficient use of it, otherwise, it will pull air from everywhere else first, not through the core.

Fan can be set to run as high as you want with a flash, but it would take a flash. A/C on is easiest method to run it without flashing. It's a low duty cycle, but better than nothing and easy. You can also try MHD race cooling option (requires flash), which is engine temp, but all cooling (fan, stat, pump) is interrelated and will run the fan higher/more often if the engine is at temp and ambient is over 70F or so (don't remember their trigger point on it).

Those cooling mode targets/triggers can be changed in flash. Not spoofing the temp reading, but lower targets cause bigger control errors to actual temp and larger responses from fan/stat/water pump.

JB4 does something on the CAN directly only to the fan and, as mentioned multiple times already, relay/switch won't work.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
How could you not splice in a relay and switch?

The electronics are integrated into the fan controller. The fan already has constant power. Turning it on with a relay would require disassembling the electronic module part of the fan to rewire how it works.

So.... it could be done but this is not a reasonable option. A simple PWM module with a switch or sensor wired into the fan makes more sense but only if option of doing it via can bus doesn't materialize.

• Informative
Reactions: SSDD and 9krpmrx8

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
My ade650 has fan shroud clips and seals to radiator. I actually think I may upgrade to the 850 watt fan if find a way to enable without jb4

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
FMIC would need to be sealed to the rad/fan to make most efficient use of it, otherwise, it will pull air from everywhere else first, not through the core.

Fan can be set to run as high as you want with a flash, but it would take a flash. A/C on is easiest method to run it without flashing. It's a low duty cycle, but better than nothing and easy. You can also try MHD race cooling option (requires flash), which is engine temp, but all cooling (fan, stat, pump) is interrelated and will run the fan higher/more often if the engine is at temp and ambient is over 70F or so (don't remember their trigger point on it).

Those cooling mode targets/triggers can be changed in flash. Not spoofing the temp reading, but lower targets cause bigger control errors to actual temp and larger responses from fan/stat/water pump.

JB4 does something on the CAN directly only to the fan and, as mentioned multiple times already, relay/switch won't work.
He cant Run ac Cause water dripping at track Is no no. I would think a pwm controller will not play nice with dme.

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
The electronics are integrated into the fan controller. The fan already has constant power. Turning it on with a relay would require disassembling the electronic module part of the fan to rewire how it works.

So.... it could be done but this is not a reasonable option. A simple PWM module with a switch or sensor wired into the fan makes more sense but only if option of doing it via can bus doesn't materialize.

Hmm, I have an extra fan, I'll have to test it out. The 335is 850W fan is the best option, that requires another harness with a relay and such though and it's $$$.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Correct you cant use a relay as the fan is pwm controlled as far as I know.

I looked into it for awhile and there is no easy way apart from disconnecting a sensor or having it on a switch which I think is not a good idea
it could easily be done just like the jb4 has via the obd2 and only use it whilst staging.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
If it's a PWM signal, I would think you could put speed controller on it and control it. What I am not sure of is if this would interfere with the signal from the ECU.
I see a project in my future.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
It would me much easier to do a stand alone app just like the e85 fuel-it app but through the obd port

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive

My PSP 750 sits right in front of the fan and the shroud seals around it as good as it seals around the radiator