S55 oil pan on N55 (e82)

Dynamics99

Nov 28, 2023
Philadelphia, PA
Ride
Blown up N55
As you have the F8x sump you can use this kit also I believe. The M235iR kit is different to the M2 CS Racing/M4 GT4 kit.

N54 bros need to sort out the lack of an oil temp’ reading if deleting the oil level sensor, because the level sensor measures both temperature and level somehow on an N54.

$667 for this kit is quite pricy. Honestly, if the S55 sensor can be retrofitted and coded in some way then it would be cost-effective compared to the dipstick retrofit.

I found this also:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Engine/BMW-Oil-System/GT4-Engine-Oil-Dipstick-Retrofit-Kit-F8X-S55.html

• Informative
Reactions: wheela

Dynamics99

Nov 28, 2023
Philadelphia, PA
Ride
Blown up N55
So I made the cat ears and enlarged the hole more and it fits well with no problems.I bolted up the chain guide tensioner and lightly snugged the bolts for the sprocket and the oil pump tabs. I spun it by hand and it seems to go well. Now I have to figure out which size bolts go where for the pump tabs, the pickup, and the scavenger. REALOEM has a diagram but does not tell me which size bolts go where. Should I rely on ISTA or is there an easy diagram lol? Peep the turbo on the skateboard hehe

IMG_1142.jpeg
IMG_1143.jpeg

Reactions: houtan and wheela

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
View attachment 91891

That is actually really cool and handy when you don´t have a dipstick.
Is it possible to log the oil level in millimeters through a custom channel in MHD? @Jake@MHD @carabuser
That would be cool. At the track you can check if it is above 70mm and you are good to go.

Oh and i mean for maybe also N54 :D
Put this line in your INA0S_UserChannels.xml file:
Code:
  <ActualValue ReqBlock="D9,5E" Size="1" DataA="0.29296875" DataB="0.0" Prefix="C0" Units="mm" RoundingDigits="2">
    <Text xml:lang="en">$ Oil Level</Text>
  </ActualValue>

Maximum sensor reading is at 74.7mm.

The levels seem to vary between software versions, but on INA0S you'll get the full status (probably over full) at 74.7mm and the add oil message below 41.7mm? 41.7mm seems low to me, maybe I'm reading the logic wrong.

Last edited:

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
So I made the cat ears and enlarged the hole more and it fits well with no problems.I bolted up the chain guide tensioner and lightly snugged the bolts for the sprocket and the oil pump tabs. I spun it by hand and it seems to go well. Now I have to figure out which size bolts go where for the pump tabs, the pickup, and the scavenger. REALOEM has a diagram but does not tell me which size bolts go where. Should I rely on ISTA or is there an easy diagram lol? Peep the turbo on the skateboard hehe

View attachment 91896View attachment 91897
That's gonna be one fast skateboard😎

Reactions: Dynamics99

hollracing

Private
Oct 26, 2022
I did know about reading the oil that way, but I hadn't seen that thread though. Thanks, that's very good info.

I'm not really too concerned about reading the level accurately with the oil level sensor, all I really want is for the standard oil level system in the CIC to work as per normal and mainly for the CC message not to popup.
Hence I want to check the position of the sensor compared to the levels.

Does anyone know any more about Byte 0 of message 0x381 (PTCAN)?
I know it controls the oil level displayed, but I don't have a conversion or any real description on it. I was just going to test sending different values and see what does what.
From another thread: B0 -> 19= Bar at min, 35 is bar at half.

I just used the info on TIS to know what bolt went where:
Capture.PNG

Dynamics99

Nov 28, 2023
Philadelphia, PA
Ride
Blown up N55
I did know about reading the oil that way, but I hadn't seen that thread though. Thanks, that's very good info.

I'm not really too concerned about reading the level accurately with the oil level sensor, all I really want is for the standard oil level system in the CIC to work as per normal and mainly for the CC message not to popup.
Hence I want to check the position of the sensor compared to the levels.

Does anyone know any more about Byte 0 of message 0x381 (PTCAN)?
I know it controls the oil level displayed, but I don't have a conversion or any real description on it. I was just going to test sending different values and see what does what.
From another thread: B0 -> 19= Bar at min, 35 is bar at half.

I just used the info on TIS to know what bolt went where:
View attachment 91914

I'll rely on ISTA then lol. I'm waiting for a friend to give me his old oil level sensor later today so I can show both at the same time for comparison.
As for power steering im going to be using a block-off plate and most likely retrofitting an EPS rack off the Z4 E89 or the Euro EPS rack. Need to do some further research. With that said how would I go about for now deciding the length of the serpentine belt with PS pump removed?

Last edited:

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
Just need to make sure you’ve got the correct sump. See the notes in this listing.

I agree it’s pricey, but there’s no guessing at least regarding your oil level with a dipstick.

Reactions: Dynamics99

hollracing

Private
Oct 26, 2022
I'll rely on ISTA then lol. I'm waiting for a friend to give me his old oil level sensor later today so I can show both at the same time for comparison.
As for power steering im going to be using a block-off plate and most likely retrofitting an EPS rack off the Z4 E89 or the Euro EPS rack. Need to do some further research. With that said how would I go about for now deciding the length of the serpentine belt with PS pump removed?

I would draw the new layout in CAD then take the length around that it gives you and order that, or just take and educated guess until you get it right.

Last edited:

hollracing

Private
Oct 26, 2022
Found the info I needed on 0x381 in superwofy's E9X-M-CAN-Integration-Module:

Byte0:

12 - Condition below MIN
25 - State MIN
38 - Condition between MIN and OK
53 - Condition OK
69 - Condition between OK and MAX
85 - State MAX
95 - Condition Overcrowded
120 - No measurement possible
121 - Status measurement in progress
122 - Condition Oil Level Check OK
123 - Status measurement OK
124 - Ignition OFF state, no measurement possible
125 - Engine oil level OK, precise measurement in progress.
126 - Engine oil level OK
127 - Measurement in progress
128 - Accurate measurement in progress. Measuring time: 1min
0xFF - signal invalid

Byte1:

0xF0 - everything OK
0xF1 - overcrowding
0xF2 - Refill 1.0 L
0xF4 - Service
0xFF - signal invalid

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Found the info I needed on 0x381 in superwofy's E9X-M-CAN-Integration-Module:

Byte0:

12 - Condition below MIN
25 - State MIN
38 - Condition between MIN and OK
53 - Condition OK
69 - Condition between OK and MAX
85 - State MAX
95 - Condition Overcrowded
120 - No measurement possible
121 - Status measurement in progress
122 - Condition Oil Level Check OK
123 - Status measurement OK
124 - Ignition OFF state, no measurement possible
125 - Engine oil level OK, precise measurement in progress.
126 - Engine oil level OK
127 - Measurement in progress
128 - Accurate measurement in progress. Measuring time: 1min
0xFF - signal invalid

Byte1:

0xF0 - everything OK
0xF1 - overcrowding
0xF2 - Refill 1.0 L
0xF4 - Service
0xFF - signal invalid
That all makes sense. All those thresholds are configurable in the DME.

Overcrowding must be overfilled, which isn't always enabled.

I'be always just put 6.5l in after a service but I'll start just monitoring the level and keeping it at max.