Single Turbo Emission Readiness

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
I am trying to get my car past local inspection...and this is the first time since I switched to single turbo. At NJ, you are allow to have one fail/non-ready monitor. Since my car is single turbo'd and running full catless, I plan to take advantage of that for cat readiness.

However, I am little lost as to what is needed to be done on the DME/flash and JB4 side to get the rest of the monitors be to cleared. Most of my knowledge on this topic is from 4 years ago and limited to stock frame twin turbo setup. I think I need to run JB4 on map 0 and take the car out for a gentle drive after a cold start. But anything else in particular that I should watch out for? Or maybe I should just find a private shop that can do me a favor on this...

Here are the relevant engine/flash specs:
- single turbo, fully catless exhaust
- 2x ADV pre cat O2, 2x stock bosch post cat O2
- N20 TMAP
- BL ignition coils
- modified BMS ST pump tune (slightly richer AFR at WOT and adjusted fuel scalar for my TBI) and JB4 for boost control

chrisdfv

Corporal
Aug 29, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
Check the toggles in your BIN to make sure the cats are the only thing disabled(emissions related, can't recall off the top of my head which others).

This part doesn't apply to you, but for others and future reference. If you are using a downpipe fix, you must make sure your AFR target during cruise load and rpm is stock. If you have it leaned out at cruise, it will not set readiness. Flashing back to stock works for stock turbo cars, but if you run E85, single turbo etc, you can use the same tune you always run and just change the toggles, and AFR to pass.

Once your parameters are ready, your jb4 must be set to map 0 to allow them to communicate through your OBD port.

I've used the procedure below to set readiness, and other times I've simply installed the DP fix and took a light drive on the way to the inspection shop and it was ready by the time I got there.

Reactions: cloud9blue

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
MA only allows 1 not ready and I pass fine with my ACF ST. I did nothing other than install the kit and the ADV sensors and flash w/ Motiv. Can't help with the JB4 but however you passed with the stock twins w. catless DPs just do the same thing.

markyb0

Corporal
Jun 17, 2017
Hampton, VA
Ride
2009 335i ST
Curious on this as well. I have a E92 335i ST on JB4 BEF. If you put jb4 in map 0 it takes the tune and BEF out yes? And wouldnt that make it run horrible or is that what changing the toggles and afr makes it run regular with jb4 in map 0?

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
JB4 in map 0. Have the fuel level between 1/4 to 3/4. Go through a few cold starts and drive cycles. You should be set. I got all my monitors ready except for Cat in 2 days. My state allows one failure, so I left the cat readiness as it is since I am too lazy to deal with the DPfix.

Your backend flash should take of most things when JB4 is in map zero.

Reactions: Torgus