Twin Turbo Wagon: Evan's E61 Build Log

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Evan, I noticed you have the full air shroud behind the grills, I'm in the process of doing a bumper and saw this, I can't seem to find one for the e60. Is this an Europe only mod? An e90 mod? It looks much cleaner and would suggest be more efficient than the air deflector that's standard. Ty,and you done a great job with her!

TwinTurboWagon

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
San Diego
Evan, I noticed you have the full air shroud behind the grills, I'm in the process of doing a bumper and saw this, I can't seem to find one for the e60. Is this an Europe only mod? An e90 mod? It looks much cleaner and would suggest be more efficient than the air deflector that's standard. Ty,and you done a great job with her!
I am not sure what you are referring to when you say "air shroud" can you please confirm or reference a pic?

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
I saw in one of your picks that you have fresh air ducts that contain incoming fresh air, it's located behind the grills. It's mostly on the e90, I've never seen it on a e60. The standard air duct is a 4 piece it seals, two sides, top, and bottom, it looks like yours is one piece, seals the grills. It's kind of hard to explain as I can't find a oem part number.

TwinTurboWagon

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
San Diego
I saw in one of your picks that you have fresh air ducts that contain incoming fresh air, it's located behind the grills. It's mostly on the e90, I've never seen it on a e60. The standard air duct is a 4 piece it seals, two sides, top, and bottom, it looks like yours is one piece, seals the grills. It's kind of hard to explain as I can't find a oem part number.
That is ducting from an E60 M5

TwinTurboWagon

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
San Diego
Not too much to report on the white wagon. She is still an ugly duckling from the outside which was compounded by me cracking my own windshield while trying to remove the top weather stripping. Insurance should cover it even though I am a dumb dumb.

I am still running a single 450 LPFP so my power is fuel limited, eventually that will be upgraded to dual 450s but as an interim solution I turned down the boost to a level where I can run full ethanol. I don't care to blend all the time and with CA gas prices being stupid high E85> 91 (duh).

I did have some misfires popping up and some of them were terminal, meaning clearing the codes didn't resolve the misfire. It turns out my (upgraded) Delphi coils were dying and some completely ate the bed. Thankfully I have a box of used OEM injectors and coils on hand. A few weeks ago one Delphi coil died, I replaced it with a used OEM coil and all good! This week I have another misfire, again replaced cyl 6 with a used OEM coil, then the next day two more Delphi coils died, at least their lifespan is consistent! lol. Planning for the inevitable I replaced the removed the last 2 Delphis and intorduced them to the trash can. I am now back on all used OEM coils. There are either the coils I originally had on my wagon before "upgrading" to the Delphis OR they are used coils from my buddies RB Turbo E90 that were removed prior to a single turbo conversion. I plan to run these until they die because, why not!?

Aside from the coils dropping like flys the wagon has been a sweetheart in terms of function and reliability so I will give myself a big pat on the back knowing I did something right! lol

I have some other projects which are stealing the spot light from the white wagon but I am looking forward to getting the white wagon's aesthetics back up to par with it's mechanical performance. Until then I will continue to live by my function>form motto. :)

Evan

t7r51mcxFA2kQQLwZVKOvDzsVG5TxfnqRT4K=w1300-h977-no.jpg

cOu0X1gjsGVvZv9Gj-uq89nekPurJLrxo-fD=w1300-h977-no.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: derekgates

TwinTurboWagon

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
San Diego
We have ourselves a nice little update right here....

Although the E61 has been mechanically flawless for the past year, it has been running around San Diego as a bit of an ugly duckling with a blue M5 fender and an primed OEM front bumper. I am happy to report the wagon has received some much needed aesthetic love.
.....but wait there's more!

In this installment:
- OEM M5 Front bumper had PDC holes and washers deleted + paint
- OEM M5 fender had vent deleted + paint
- Cracked windshield replaced with new OEM glass
- New OEM cowl
- New OEM windshield surround
- New pano roof surround
- EHC sensor replaced
- Dinan rear sway bar installed
- Cluster received M5 bezels and pre-LCI needles
- OEM Brushed Aluminum Door Trim (dash and console OTW)

"Clean" is always the goal and I am a big believer in less is more. Continuing the there of deleting the (non-functional) M% fender vents I decided the have the PDC sensors and headlight washers shaved. The washer system is super annoying and functionally the system has been deleted for quite some time so it was a no brainer to delete the tilting covers. As for PDC, I know how to park and have good depth perception.

Here is a photoshop I did earlier which convinced to be do the deleting, it's subtle but .....clean!
1F2GgWVkay4X0-VLrvuL0B1x1sNgBQj8FuLzUw3nIQ=s975-no.jpg

With the bumper and fender off at paint I decided to also get my cracked windshield replaced.
mrJ_50Hzqyru9-ca7LfusK8ulqfA5vow2-Z8=w1300-h977-no.jpg

I also replaced the weather stripping for the pano roof
IN4uwfk0qw84hopgAzI14ICj8AuOXtVbPujE=w1300-h977-no.jpg

nBKDIhA837B5GklJvZjE4DHVWqsTMdBOuEQU=w1300-h977-no.jpg

CIz5QwvMVcvNqi3TbeT9-f2NE_qOoLvDix7Y=w1300-h977-no.jpg

XuwWUWoD8QOUTnjliE332nUCBH15HWyi7isM=w1300-h977-no.jpg

oD_7BXW7i7r5ndsJ1mQct6E7Cc31hgaFls1E=w1300-h977-no.jpg

U8-AzqjN5VKDPy4BNy8WZLzS_WaUpI3tcP3k=w1300-h977-no.jpg

Broken load leveling sensor replaced
AP_IzaJgRNg8AaI48vPL4LSPtfJ-lgwl1Yt8=w1300-h977-no.jpg

Bumper and fender installed!
cu6-_U2TgMfXLkGI4nl-iOSiAP52DQbjp8xc=w1300-h977-no.jpg

tP06FG6GM2kRqGYky3q40Zr35eYsq9v4UX0o=w1300-h977-no.jpg

Bought a used M5 cluster to steal some parts from, the circular gauge bezels which are part of the front plastic and main bezel. It was a little scratched up so I polished the plastic a bit.
sMyOBEgXDIRUzexFmqcjlwg0ZNtnBqy9a87MJdvDLM=s975-no.jpg

Before/After with M5 bezels, subtle
YhJhjODKQZAc-8kMdnIQ2RlShopE-qmQ3TB8BGjTDo=s975-no.jpg

I also pulled some pre-LCI needles from the junkyard. The pre-LCI needles have the same design as the M5 but are white instead of red. I prefer the design of these needles to the LCI ones my wagon came with, in comparison the LCI needles look a bit bloated and not as sharp.

IMO the red M5 needles look "cool" (I run them on my X5D cluster) but are much harder to see during the day and therefore inferior to the white.

Here are the final pics:
q106d9YyUJYr4sqbhx7rSxUOUErCeNGIhpzk=w1300-h977-no.jpg

pHw2tFEcwr29B72NN8Kwoo6uxF69lH-LLxW4=w1300-h977-no.jpg

New OEM windshield going in,
0Ivw7iY1CJTY3zAa57kzq1It7kBF67wonv0I=w1300-h977-no.jpg

70SAUpxGaHedmF3fG8gJI0qA9DIAmKPa6czg=w1300-h977-no.jpg

Fresh
LnT4abKWV7r2wvg0AnuzcrsRLJh6XLv8ogLs=w1300-h977-no.jpg

Since I converted to RWD the RD Sport sways I had would no longer fit, since they are NLA and arguably the most desireable sway bars for the E61 I sold them as a set. My front sway bar is from a convertible M6 which is the largest OEM bar available for the E6X, for the rear I went with a Dinan unit which surprisingly, carries a reasonable price tag considering it has also the usually-overpriced Dinan badge.
OqRtkyipsvYfh-5PBqCotbjAiwP9GpOtrF4c=w1300-h977-no.jpg

JBH1SEjqBtQa4yyHDEKzN-UBVtbtNkZw8xog=w1300-h977-no.jpg

6jOvvAeLYbPSPGAliqPpYM8-XChYcxgfBArs=w1300-h977-no.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: iitsD and doublespaces

fmorelli

Brigadier General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Aside, I like the exercise mat usage. I have that in the shop I work in (not automotive). Easy to replace any tile when it goes sideways. A bit of carpet tape can help things from moving around at the ends. How has it worked for you in the garage, and how long have you used it?

Filippo

TwinTurboWagon

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
San Diego
Very very clean as usual. Any thing you have considered doing next?
Items which will be addressed sooner than later are:
- re-wrap window trim in satin black vinyl, current vinyl has UV damage
- Apply PPF to front bumper
- Build custom headlights (again)
- Get alignment
- Replace rear passenger door
- Build custom dual 450 LPFP setup, currently single 450
- Add Basser sub enclosure

Some other thoughts that are in my mind but not a priority:

- Retrofit leather dash with HUD
- Panoramic roof delete: Less is more and being 6'8" deleting the glass above should give me an extra 1-1.5" of headroom, currently my hair touches the roof :(

The pano roof cassette also weighs in at ~65lbs so that is a nice chunk of weight to save from the roof of a performance vehicle. The downside is ALL domestic E61s have pano roof so I would need to source and have the roof panel, headliner, and misc parts shipped from Europe. Then the work/labor of swapping the roofs, my guess is the complete project would be $2k+ all in so it's hard to justify.

Currently my E61 tips the scales at 3,965 lbs which according to BMW is ~100 lbs less than the E60 M5 sedan and ~350 lbs lighter than the E61 M5; the E63S and RS6 wagons which make similar whp/wtq in stock form also tip the scales in the 4,300-4,500 lb range. So my E61 is a bit of a welterweight in a heavyweight class and it would be cool to continue to trim down. If I entered in a 1/2 mile event and wanted to activate "race weight" I could also remove the front seats and rear seat back (install a Recaro Pole Position) which should save ~200 lbs. In theory I could get the curb weight down to 3,700 which would be a fun experiment.

Aside, I like the exercise mat usage. I have that in the shop I work in (not automotive). Easy to replace any tile when it goes sideways. A bit of carpet tape can help things from moving around at the ends. How has it worked for you in the garage, and how long have you used it?
I have had these inexpensive foam mats installed for about a year. For their price they work well. I was mainly after something that is more comfortable to stand on and I am often my garage barefoot so the insulation is a big bonus. They are not terribly durable and can slide around if you are aggressive with your movements but all things considered they work well for my needs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Naldo12 E60/E61/E63/E64 0
ThatSTe61 E60/E61/E63/E64 19