VTT New Product Release Overview!

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
For those that were concerned with crankcase vacuum. I installed my kit over the weekend. Dual catch can, external pcv, plugged head ports. Got -6.4mbar. Should be noted that I have my idle rpm raised to 100 rpms over stock. This is with a/c on. Fully warmed up. With 130k miles. Oh and e60 if that matters at all.
Where are do you have your gauge connected to?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Wouldn't crankcase vacuum reading be a nice addition to logging ...

Filippo

Tuppidsay

Corporal
Aug 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ride
2008 535i
I wouldn't think it would be something that should be actively logged but not horrible to check once In awhile. If I get time I might extend the hose to my manometer and check it during a pull.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I'm not so sure. In discussions about PCV system modifications, there is a lack of clarity (no one size fits all) because of the varying state of the vacuum system, in part due to whatever power configurations people are running (i.e.; we don't follow BMW factory recommended crankcase pressures for a 300hp motor), et cetera. Coupled with the fact that the vacuum varies on how the motors are operating. I think some individual data on crankcase vacuum might add clarity. Imagine if it were there for "free" in MHD. I doubt most people have any idea what vacuum numbers their motors are pulling across their operation; yet this is ascribed to all kinds of issues with these motors. Just thinking out loud, but that's why I said it ...

Filippo

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I just swap my gauge line over to the BMW oil cap tool before doing some pulls if I want to see what my crankcase pressures/vacuum are doing. Would be nice to see it whenever and charted on logs as well though. I'd also love to have individual cylinder egt, maf, etc. Would really help to let you know what's going on with your motor at any given point.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
If there was a sensor already on the engine to measure it, sure why not. But there isn't so you'd be looking at some kind of aftermarket solution.
Hence my original comment, "wouldn't it be nice ..."

Filippo

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Ordered a breather the other day and received it quicker than I expected which was nice, but I just wanted to say the quality of this thing is excellent. It's obviously a relatively simple piece but it has some nice heft to it, feels extremely solid, and even the filter itself looks and feels like good quality. Probably the best $100 I've spent on the car, and coupled with my external PCV setup I think I might just skip the BMS style OCC for now.

Chris, have you guys tried fitting it with the ring from the original oil cap still on? I know I'm probably in the minority for this website by still using the engine cover but I think it'd look a bit cleaner and hopefully stop the tiny bit of wiggle it has when installed. I didn't have time to try it with the base in place because I put it on at like 10pm but I'm gonna try it

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Ordered a breather the other day and received it quicker than I expected which was nice, but I just wanted to say the quality of this thing is excellent. It's obviously a relatively simple piece but it has some nice heft to it, feels extremely solid, and even the filter itself looks and feels like good quality. Probably the best $100 I've spent on the car, and coupled with my external PCV setup I think I might just skip the BMS style OCC for now.

Chris, have you guys tried fitting it with the ring from the original oil cap still on? I know I'm probably in the minority for this website by still using the engine cover but I think it'd look a bit cleaner and hopefully stop the tiny bit of wiggle it has when installed. I didn't have time to try it with the base in place because I put it on at like 10pm but I'm gonna try it
I am curious as well as I noticed just a tiny bit of play.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I am curious as well as I noticed just a tiny bit of play.
FWIW I don't think it's actually an issue at all considering the factory oil caps also have play + with the engine running it should seal it under vacuum, I'm just anal and if I can make it not wiggle I will lol.