XClutch Twin Disk - Group Buy Feeler

GGMR2T

Private
May 31, 2018
Ride
2007 E90 335i 6mt
My impression is that it'll be fine for street and roadcourse use. Just no 5000rpm clutch dumps at the drag strip.
So if I'm cruising on the freeway and get behind some old dude, do a rev match drop into 3rd and romp on it, it's not gonna slip and fry it?:tearsofjoy:

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
I've launched mine a few times now with the ceramic version... no issues. The bigger issue is getting the launch right to not have wheel hop because all 4 tires let loose (I'm an xi).

This convo is exactly why I got the ceramic one. I may street drive the car most of the time, but even then I have fun launching it and didnt want to risk it with the organic. Yea I might have the transmission drop down to 4 hours on jack stands by my self, but its not something I want to do regularly, lol.

So we'll see how many miles the ceramic lasts me, but you can least know I'm not gentle with it, and that launching it doesnt hurt it, it can take the heat.

The only trade off is it can be a little grabby and so you have to pay attention more than you would with an organic while street driving... that doesnt bother me.

I should add I talked to them and they said they put a lot of effort into reducing the weight of the clutch discs this is what helps reduce chatter as well as also makes shifting much faster and less likely to grind, I've experienced this myself with my 1st to 2nd gear grind problems becoming much better on this clutch

Last edited:

GGMR2T

Private
May 31, 2018
Ride
2007 E90 335i 6mt
I've launched mine a few times now with the ceramic version... no issues. The bigger issue is getting the launch right to not have wheel hop because all 4 tires let loose (I'm an xi).

This convo is exactly why I got the ceramic one. I may street drive the car most of the time, but even then I have fun launching it and didnt want to risk it with the organic. Yea I might have the transmission drop down to 4 hours on jack stands by my self, but its not something I want to do regularly, lol.

So we'll see how many miles the ceramic lasts me, but you can least know I'm not gentle with it, and that launching it doesnt hurt it, it can take the heat.

The only trade off is it can be a little grabby and so you have to pay attention more than you would with an organic while street driving... that doesnt bother me.

I should add I talked to them and they said they put a lot of effort into reducing the weight of the clutch discs this is what helps reduce chatter as well as also makes shifting much faster and less likely to grind, I've experienced this myself with my 1st to 2nd gear grind problems becoming much better on this clutch

That's good to know. All good info. I think this is maybe closer to what I'm looking for. My car is not a daily, except in the summer, but is not my main car. And I do want to be able to beat on it a little without worry. I've had other built cars with grabby clutches and you kind of just learn to drive around it. A good trade off in my opinion for worry free launches and some "fun time". Was it more cash for the ceramic option?

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
I havent bought the non ceramic so I cant speak to price of it, but from what they were saying in this thread they are quite similar in price.

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
The car has 157500 miles on it or so, the clutch now has about 1500 miles on it.

The spec stage 3+ was put in at 80k and made it to 154K, I blew a turbo and upgraded to GC lite 2.0's and then it would periodically not hold, as I was saying before, and then it started not holding in 4th gear every time, so at 156k it got replaced.

The stage 3+ went in because when I went FBO the stock clutch started slipping in 6th gear, then got progressively worse until it also failed..... so its been one upgrade after another, lol.

Reactions: veer90

GGMR2T

Private
May 31, 2018
Ride
2007 E90 335i 6mt
All great info! Thanks so much for sharing!! Now we just need to see what kind of sweet deal we can get for a group buy:smile:

GGMR2T

Private
May 31, 2018
Ride
2007 E90 335i 6mt
Also of note. The OP needs to be updated with the current group buy list.

I personally wasn't sure how to let him know. Do I need to PM him or something? I thought putting the request here would suffice, perhaps not?

GGMR2T

Private
May 31, 2018
Ride
2007 E90 335i 6mt
Cool:sunglasses: I'm not in a huge hurry. Just gathering mounds of parts for a winter project:tearsofjoy:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

As long as there's no danger to my manifold I'm good:wink:

My son will never understand these quotes, its a shame. Instead when he grows up we'll be reading some shit like this:

"Haha, and my magneto inductor went, zing zing"

• Sad
Reactions: ShocknAwe