335is Build - Rebuilding a neglected 335is

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The thread with the m3 dct was deleted. How can I get more info on that?
It wasn't actually deleted, it was moved it to a private area at the request of those working on it where it can be finished until its safe to release to the public.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
So I am taking up a pretty big endeavor...something only one other person has tried so far and that Aus335iGuy is privy to.

I'm going to be switching my GWS (shift assembly) and center console stack over to the M3 components. This means that after successful adaptation we get full M3 DCT capabilities excluding adjustable launch control. But that means we get improved ECS, Stability Control, Drive Logic, and Shift Modes. So far there has been one person in Russia who has claimed to do this.

In order to accomplish this I went to ///MporiumBMW this week and bought an M3 GWS assembly (shifter), wiring harness, M-Power button for non EDC cars, and drive-logic button. From a hardware perspective I still need the center console trim, shift boot and knob (///MporiumBMW is sourcing this for me).

From a software perspective I'll have to change my VO to be an M3 DCT w/Drive-Logic, I'll have to code my CIC, ECS, KOMBI, and Transmission, and I'll have to flash an M3 DCT ZB file to my transmission (I'll probably go with the GTS flash).

The part that is the missing piece is the wiring diagram on how to weave the M3 switches into the 335is body loom.

While I was at ///MporiumBMW I grabbed an M3 cowl assembly and put that on today :blush:

And I also called dibs on a full M3 DCT rear sub-frame assembly. Assuming that I can do this GWS switchover and use an M3 flash like this guy from Russia claims...that means I'll be able to use the M3 DCT 3.15 LSD rear differential as well.

This was back on 1/13/18 that I made the decision to start this GWS conversion. I apologize for going dark and not posting updates in this thread but that's because our adventure into uncharted waters was a bit sketchy and we didn't want people following our lead and causing themselves any problems. Now that we have all the bugs worked out, the past 5mo of conversations will be unlocked.

UPDATE!!

Full M3 conversion complete on the driveline and control systems.
I am now running an M3 DSC (dynamic stability control), M3 SZL (steering wheel clock spring), M3 Center Console, M3 GWS (shift assembly), M3 Center Dash Buttons, M3 Center Console Buttons, M3 Shift Logic, M3 KOMBI (gauges), M3 EKG (transmission flash), M3 Axles, M3 Rear Diff, and an M3 FD ratio of 3.15.

Those parts and a load of custom coding and flashing has allowed me to run M3 transmission logic, shift patterns, shift logic (on the fly DCT line pressure changes), drive logic (so much better than D mode in the 335is), *fully adjustable* launch control, and launch control without any traction control involvement!! M Mode and MDM are the last two pieces of the pie that will be coming soon (in about 4-6 weeks).

I also purchased a Doc Race 6266 G2 BB kit...and like much of what I buy I'm not just installing a box stock kit. I've sent all the hot parts (turbine housing too) for jet hot coating (looks like a chrome finish). I'm also having the compressor custom polished. I'll also be switching all the lines for boost control and oiling over to stainless steel braided -AN lines. I'm removing all gaskets and going to only o-rings and -AN connections. I don't want to deal with leaks. It's a bit of extra money, but a lot of peace of mind.

It'll be 2 weeks for my compressor polishing and 3 weeks for jet hot coating. So, in the mean time I'll be tearing the front end off the car and prepping for the single conversion. I'll be removing the subframe assembly and cleaning that up, removing the core support/radiator/etc for unfettered access to the engine so I can pressure wash the entire block. I'll also be doing a walnut blast, AND!! installing a VTT Double Barrel Shotgun kit with new HPFP's.

Once I'm done with all that prep work my Doc kit should be ready for install, and @V8bait should be ready to convert my DME over to a flex fuel single turbo 1M IKM0S bin. That is the key to turning on M-Mode and MDM in my car :sunglasses:.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I spent the entire weekend heeding @doublespaces advice. When I mentioned I was doing a full single conversion, and VTT Double Barrel install by removing the core support and subframe for ease of access he said, "good luck keeping your garage in order".

So I spent this weekend cleaning the garage and getting ready for the insanity. I've got a really full week this week at work, but will begin on this soon. As it sits right now the car is up on jack stands ready for surgery.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
It goes without saying our garages should be clean... But when you are entrenching in all that stuff at once not to mention just one of those tasks... Yeah.. The 'best way' is to do some of that work simultaneously, so you'll need twice the bench space to place things.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
My idea of a solid, zero leak, o-ring’ed T4 turbo oil drain/return tube:

683B7FA2-FDC3-49D3-AC6E-C5071EDCB13E.jpeg
FBF3BF0E-E6DC-4B05-8BCA-568B22DD5B47.jpeg

BE056984-46AD-46CD-B4A0-50350C4A4D00.jpeg

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Can you do me a favor and take a look at your 335is and answer a few questions for me?

Does your car have cutouts in the front bumper for the headlight washers?

Does your car actually have the headlight washer system?

I am currently pulling the bumper off my 335is, which has the cutouts/covers for the headlight washer system. Much to my surprise, the car doesn't actually have the system. Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: Edwingrc

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Can you do me a favor and take a look at your 335is and answer a few questions for me?

Does your car have cutouts in the front bumper for the headlight washers?

Does your car actually have the headlight washer system?

I am currently pulling the bumper off my 335is, which has the cutouts/covers for the headlight washer system. Much to my surprise, the car doesn't actually have the system. Thanks!

Mine is the same.

Edwingrc

Jun 2, 2018
Ride
2011 335IS
441498D9-4B6C-41E6-8818-4FADA6D124C4.jpeg
Awesome build! Made an account just to follow this thread.

My car was also totaled by a drunk driver & deemed a total loss but bought it back for 2k & fixed it since there’s was no inner structural damage at all!

Anyway, you’ve inspired me to go you’re route & cant wait to see your outcome of a beast

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
View attachment 11979 Awesome build! Made an account just to follow this thread.

My car was also totaled by a drunk driver & deemed a total loss but bought it back for 2k & fixed it since there’s was no inner structural damage at all!

Anyway, you’ve inspired me to go you’re route & cant wait to see your outcome of a beast
What did it cost you to fix it?

TX_335is

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
Ride
2011 BMW 335is
Hey man! We met during the 1/2 mile in Arlington a few months ago, I was in the grey 335is. Really cool to see the backstory behind the car. Good luck with the ST swap, looking forward to seeing the updates

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
How did the pre painted bumper work out and where did you order from I have 09 le mans blue and want m3 side skirts and to re spray back bumper someone backed into my car In parking lot. it's a factory m sport but everyone says need blend and is crazy expensive so i was gonna wrap but you make me want to go paint correction and ceramic coat route again if I can get away with pre painted parts

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
How did the pre painted bumper work out and where did you order from I have 09 le mans blue and want m3 side skirts and to re spray back bumper someone backed into my car In parking lot. it's a factory m sport but everyone says need blend and is crazy expensive so i was gonna wrap but you make me want to go paint correction and ceramic coat route again if I can get away with pre painted parts

It was/is flawless! I ordered from European Society Motorsports: https://eurosmotorsports.com/

I wouldn't hesitate suggesting them to anyone else.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
OMG OMG OMG

My turbo kit hot-parts are done with the coating! I'm geeking out over here and I have to wait till my lunch meeting is done before I can head out and pick them up but this is a guy with the same coating on his turbo kit that I got from the same coater!

28059028_645899985580286_5730172813350133017_n.jpg