DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Still stops the crank bolt from backing out, no? That's why I said even if it stops 50% (or hell even slightly less) of the causes, $100 makes it pretty worth it.
Ive read instead of the bolt backing out, the whole pulley backs out and comes off. But how true that may be, i have no idea.

Reactions: kayzrx82

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
The funny part is, the only "vendor" that went back and forth is Rob. MMP didn't get sucked in. Shows who is professional and who is not.

They're both bad in different ways.

MMP will never admit fault for selling chinesium injectors, but at least he knows when to stop arguing lol

Rob is the walking textbook definition of "fragile male ego"

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Since the hub isn't pinned, even if the crank bolt doesn't back out, it could spin with enough torque. I think the crank bolt capture is great insurance against the bolt backing out, but not a guarantee against all spun hubs.
Yeah, that was basically my point. It's at least *some* insurance. A seatbelt isn't gonna stop you from dying from head trauma in a car accident, but it's nice insurance from flying out the windshield and takes two seconds to put on. Same concept imo.
The funny part is, the only "vendor" that went back and forth is Rob. MMP didn't get sucked in. Shows who is professional and who is not.
Thank you. I truly have thought I'm going crazy at times with thinking RB is unprofessional and childish since so few comment on it, at least until recently but he's been kinda bad for the past few years.
They're both bad in different ways.

MMP will never admit fault for selling chinesium injectors, but at least he knows when to stop arguing lol

Rob is the walking textbook definition of "fragile male ego"
I don't know much about MMP and the injector thing, but I would definitely not put them in even close to the same camp.

I was a skeptic of mmp for a while including of their customer service, largely in part to things that people like RB had said back in 2015 or so though to be fair. Eugene invited me to try them out and promised that any issues or concerns I had would be happily and easily fleshed out and taken care of if I actually ran into them. I now have MMP 1Ks waiting to go on my car and both him and Mauricio have been nothing but excellent to deal with in my experience, both before and after getting my money.

@Rob@RBTurbo was kind of responsive before having my money, and since having taken it several times has called me every name in the book for asking questions about his product. Maybe Mauricio isn't a saint and maybe one of his early orders came with Chinese injectors (as I said, I really don't know enough to comment there) - but MMP is a far better company than RB at this point in time, and even BMS (who I have no problem with, just using an an example) has sold Chinese parts to unsuspecting customers - probably in much, much larger amounts than MMP did too, yet there's never any discussion of that.

Reactions: m5james

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Ive read instead of the bolt backing out, the whole pulley backs out and comes off. But how true that may be, i have no idea.
Are you talking about while the capture is installed, or just in general? If it's while the capture is installed, I'd like to see some proof of that tbh. Tony has hit by far the highest Tq numbers this engine has seen, and certainly didn't tune his engine to avoid it in the low rpm range. AFAIK the only insurance he had against crankbolt issues was the capture, and as far as I'm aware that engine is still solid and didn't have any issues pushing 930wtq with the capture installed.

That almost sounds like a rumor one of the FB vendors would make up after they got upset with VTT, or something that might've happened from an improper/partial install.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
The problem is the forum free-for-all medium is not very conducive to respectful conversations. 90% of comms is body language. With that absent, people make it up in their head and as anyone with maturity knows ... one's head is the worst place to live ...

Filippo

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I think it's the risk and frustration from when it happens. @Steven@ClarkPerformanceFab has experienced it and decided to switch engine platforms. Think about it this way - if you want to make a ton of power, you are potentially risking the motor with the hub issue. If you get lucky and can just re-time it, you have to buy a new hub (I've heard you should never re-use one that has spun). So now you are buying new parts with the possibility of it happening again. There is no prevention, only mitigation. I think there may be one company the does offer a pinned hub, but it's something around $1500 for just it. That's a lot of scratch for just that part, but in the grand scheme of things, i.e. $16K motor, it's cheap insurance.

Edit - found it. It's Maximum PSI - $1300. https://maximumpsi.com/product/maximum-psi-keyed-crank-hub-kit/

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
The problem is the forum free-for-all medium is not very conducive to respectful conversations. 90% of comms is body language. With that absent, people make it up in their head and as anyone with maturity knows ... one's head is the worst place to live ...

Filippo
That I'll agree with, but then also comes the point where any grown adult should still factor in respect and a bit of trust when someone says "no, I'm genuinely just trying to learn more." My job requires me dealing with LOTS of customers, lots of people below me and some above me, even more money, and lots of different products and options and if I ever reacted that way I'd not only lose business but also respect, regardless of my knowledge and ranking. Plus even on a forum, phone call, or whatever, if your knee-jerk reaction to a question was to call someone an idiot, chances are you're just a jerk imo.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Are you talking about while the capture is installed, or just in general? If it's while the capture is installed, I'd like to see some proof of that tbh. Tony has hit by far the highest Tq numbers this engine has seen, and certainly didn't tune his engine to avoid it in the low rpm range. AFAIK the only insurance he had against crankbolt issues was the capture, and as far as I'm aware that engine is still solid and didn't have any issues pushing 930wtq with the capture installed.

That almost sounds like a rumor one of the FB vendors would make up after they got upset with VTT, or something that might've happened from an improper/partial install.
While capture is installed. It may be a rumor, im not entirely sure. I have no proof, just what i read somewhere. So dont hold me hostage to it lol. I can visualize it happening, but no proof or any results of it happening. You may very well be correct though.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
While capture is installed. It may be a rumor, im not entirely sure. I have no proof, just what i read somewhere. So dont hold me hostage to it lol. I can visualize it happening, but no proof or any results of it happening. You may very well be correct though.
Ah, that's kinda what I figured but I wouldn't put too much stock into it TBH. The only way I can see it happening is if the bolts it came with either weren't all used or weren't torqued down properly, because as far as I know with a proper installation it physically locks both down - but I have been wrong before.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
The bolt simply holds the hub in place by torque. Yes the capture prevents the bolt from loosening up, but there is still the potential for the hub to spin since it is merely held by torque of the bolt and not pinned to the crank. Unlikely maybe but still very possible.

Reactions: kayzrx82

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
The bolt simply holds the hub in place by torque. Yes the capture prevents the bolt from loosening up, but there is still the potential for the hub to spin since it is merely held by torque of the bolt and not pinned to the crank. Unlikely maybe but still very possible.
Yep. But like I said, still gets rid of ~50%+ of the cause of issues for people though and it's cheap.

If you're really worried, someone else mentioned that keyed crank you can get. Combine the two if possible and I don't imagine you'd have too much worrying to do considering Tony and @Chris@VargasTurboTech squeezed 900wtq out of an N54 with the capture.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
In out experience most often the hub slips due to the bolt loosening up, for those cases the CBC will help. If you're just twisting the hub obviously it won't help for that.

@Chris@VargasTurboTech , I know Tony made pass after pass with massive low end torque, but was the car also beat on on the track or the street? I figure a steady state single gear pull is less stressful or has less potential to spin the hub than multi gear 1/4 mile passes. Has anyone spun their hub on the dyno, or have most occurred on the road?

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
@Chris@VargasTurboTech was the car also beat on on the track or the street?

Are you kidding me? Look, if Tony is anywhere near the car -walks next to it, saw pics of it online, etc, etc, the car is going to not have an easy time of it. No one is harder on a car than Tony. Dyno, street, strip... it's all there.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Ya, if you can't represent yourself on a fourm with constructive criticism, I'd highly doubt there customer service is any better. Your here to sell your products as well as yourself. I just had a set of turbos rebuilt with my supplied parts. It was a pleasant transaction all the way thru. It's hard putting your faith and money in someone's hands that you don't know in hopes something good comes out of it.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Folks let's move the vendor discussion to a different thread if you feel the need to go on about it. If you want to discuss this motor then do so. Future posts that continue a different path please report them and they will be moved to the Octagon.

Once you start giving feedback on someone else's feedback on yet another person's feedback of the original topic, the thread is officially derailed.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Once you start giving feedback on someone else's feedback on yet another person's feedback of the original topic, the thread is officially derailed.
Then u Sir, just derailed this thread by giving feedback on the feedback that you are trying to avoid. I furthermore derailed the thread by giving feedback on ur feedback.
My bad :(

AD-ENG

Corporal
Oct 22, 2016
Congrats on the build. Its nice to see more guys building these to push this platform instead of jumping ship.

I hope it means your performance goals, but based on the photos I would advise you not attempt anywhere near 1400hp with that engine.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Congrats on the build. Its nice to see more guys building these to push this platform instead of jumping ship.

I hope it means your performance goals, but based on the photos I would advise you not attempt anywhere near 1400hp with that engine.
What would it take to have a n54 be able to support 1400 or 1k reliably. Or Is it feasible to have a dd that can support that? Maybe not full time but be setup so can run high boost map when wanted and still daily at lower power level and not have overheating issues. Basically where do you put the limit to be able to sit in traffic and drive cross country reliably.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
What would it take to have a n54 be able to support 1400 or 1k reliably. Or Is it feasible to have a dd that can support that? Maybe not full time but be setup so can run high boost map when wanted and still daily at lower power level and not have overheating issues. Basically where do you put the limit to be able to sit in traffic and drive cross country reliably.

Honestly, it's basically impossible to use the words N54 1000whp+ and reliable in the same sentence.

1st it's been 12 years and no one has cracked 1000whp. So asking questions like this does not make sense.

2nd the engine is displacement limited you can't stroke it to 4L for instance, under square design so it's not going to rev out far. So with those limitations, RPM and displacement, you can only get so much out of it. It's not like a 2L block that can hit 11k rpms. Unless you want a narrow powerband or you have massively deep pockets, the N54 is going to stay at or under 1000whp for the foreseeable future. At least in my mind. If anyone disagrees, please explain why.

3rd it's not going to be very daily driver friendly imo at 1000whp or more and why would you expect it to be? It's over 3x it's stock output.

If you want a high HP DD this is not the platform for you. not in my opinion anyways.