Bucketless sucks - I keep running out of gas at 3/4 of a tank.

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Yep, a single walbro 450 should meet your needs no problem. What's your full current fueling setup, and what turbo(s)? A single shot is reg $499 with free shipping, ($529 if you want a new top hat too). If interested shoot me an email and I'll cut you a break as a SpoolStreet member.

Chris
Im running a docrace 6266bb. Fuelit stage 2 bucketless lpfp. Running 20-23 psi. Would like to finish the season with this and will be looking to upgrade for next season.

Brakthru

Private
Feb 20, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i
I installed the spool performance bucketless stage 2 lpfp. Now my fuel gauge fluctuates about a quarter tank. It rises slowly and then goes back down after driving a bit. It seems to be at a different position after restarting car later. Checked install 3 times and it looks good. Not getting any codes.

Anyone have experience with the spool performance lpfp? Is this typical for all bucketless? Spool performance doesn't use pins to hold the float. The base slides into the side of the pump so it doesn't move. Very annoyed and frustrated and need a solution. I haven't done a complete fill up yet. I wonder if that would help.

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
Maybe the height of the fuel level pickup is wrong ? Maybe its stuck ?

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Nah, it won't help the float. You might have something wonky with the lines that are supposed to pump fuel back over to the right side.

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
OK.
How does the hydromat fix the fuel gauge not reading properly? You think it helps the float?
[/QUOTE]

No, this was in response to the OP. I didn't realize it was an old post. I can attest that a hydramat does very well though! Lol 👍

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Hydramat rocks when married with a walbro 535, absolutely no starvation issues so far, need to test more below empty or when the fuel range reaches 0km.

20200418_150737.jpg

Omar@VaderSolutions

Lieutenant
Premium Vendor
Oct 19, 2016
NY & AZ
vadersolution.com
Ride
N54 135i & N54 335i
hydromats do absolutely nothing for this platform, standard walbro/dw filters work perfectly fine. the pumps sit at the lowest point of the tank where all the fuel just sits, ive been there and done that with all kinds of pump setups. the only thing that works for all the guys that like to go WOT during a turn are bucket setups. buckets work just fine and i get a lot of request from people that buy our pump kits to switch over for a bucket version even though we dont advertise bucket pumps , we still make them.

also at 3/4 tank youre having other issues OP, maybe the height of your bracket for the pump is not where it should be

Reactions: V8bait

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
hydromats do absolutely nothing for this platform, standard walbro/dw filters work perfectly fine. the pumps sit at the lowest point of the tank where all the fuel just sits, ive been there and done that with all kinds of pump setups. the only thing that works for all the guys that like to go WOT during a turn are bucket setups. buckets work just fine and i get a lot of request from people that buy our pump kits to switch over for a bucket version even though we dont advertise bucket pumps , we still make them.

also at 3/4 tank youre having other issues OP, maybe the height of your bracket for the pump is not where it should be

I'd second this. I was pretty negative on bucketless solutions initially but they seem to do pretty well even without the mats. I still prefer buckets for extra safety and pump cooling etc but I don't really shy away from bucketless in most situations now. They do fine, so most likely like Omar says you're having other issues.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Sorry I totally disagree with Omar on this, the hydramat has a much larger surface area to scavenge fuel compared to a walbro mat and
when cornering it can suck fuel where the standard one can't especially when fuel is low on high g right handers.

I'm not selling these so I have no agenda as they are very expensive and wont be making any unless someone one like Omar or PFS wants to.

I posted this to show its working at very low fuel levels and I'm testing how low I can go before it starts to cause issues but being in a lockdown
its very hard to do atm.

For pump cooling that's easily fixed run a return line directly over the pump and the tank balance pipe over the bucketless setup

But I do agree if he is running out of fuel at 3/4 tank he has issues with his setup and not even a hydramat will fix.

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i

At least in my 135i the fuel tank is level, the passenger side, and sending unit side do not differ in depth or level.
Would you mind sharing some pictures of your hydramat setup? It sounds like a placement issue or installation issue to me.
Hydramat's despite being very expensive will scavenge the very last bit if you've sized the mat to your tank.
If you look at race car fuel cells for racing series like IMSA/Leman/DTM ETC. it's required that something like 80% of the cell volume needs to be occupied by a fuel cell foam insert. It creates a very crappy environment with long swooping turns. The mat does an unbelievable job with slosh when the tanks start getting low. The same applies to our tanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: martymil

Omar@VaderSolutions

Lieutenant
Premium Vendor
Oct 19, 2016
NY & AZ
vadersolution.com
Ride
N54 135i & N54 335i
Sorry I totally disagree with Omar on this, the hydramat has a much larger surface area to scavenge fuel compared to a walbro mat and
when cornering it can suck fuel where the standard one can't especially when fuel is low on high g right handers.

I'm not selling these so I have no agenda as they are very expensive and wont be making any unless someone one like Omar or PFS wants to.

I posted this to show its working at very low fuel levels and I'm testing how low I can go before it starts to cause issues but being in a lockdown
its very hard to do atm.

For pump cooling that's easily fixed run a return line directly over the pump and the tank balance pipe over the bucketless setup

But I do agree if he is running out of fuel at 3/4 tank he has issues with his setup and not even a hydramat will fix.
in any other platform sure the hydromat works great but in the e series chassis it does nothing, the fuel tank is already setup to collect all fuel at the bottom of the tank where the pump sits one side and where the siphon jet sits on the other. been there dont that with many different setups, bucketless walbros stage 3 on my 700whp e92 had no issues with stock filters going straight with almost a completely empty tank

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The bucketless will run out of fuel with a stock walbro mat where hydramat doesn’t

The stock walbro mat is hopeless in a bucketless setup in low fuel level situations around a right hand high g corner

I tested this personally on my own car and I had starvation issues going quickly around a roundabout where the car started bucking
as the walbro mat could not reach the fuel whilst the hydramat can.

Last edited:

Omar@VaderSolutions

Lieutenant
Premium Vendor
Oct 19, 2016
NY & AZ
vadersolution.com
Ride
N54 135i & N54 335i
not sure what kind of testing you are doing or what you are experiencing but with all the bucketless pumps out there in the market 95% have standard walbro filters and no one feels the need to switch over to an expensive hydromat. hydromats were engineered and designed for gutted fuel cells that dont have any type of baffling

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
in any other platform sure the hydromat works great but in the e series chassis it does nothing, the fuel tank is already setup to collect all fuel at the bottom of the tank where the pump sits one side and where the siphon jet sits on the other. been there dont that with many different setups, bucketless walbros stage 3 on my 700whp e92 had no issues with stock filters going straight with almost a completely empty tank

To say that a single mat works on EVERY other platform aside from our kind of raises the eyebrows and simply not true. Please give us a reasonable explanation as to why our fuel tank, which has two separate bladders gets no benefit from a very high-performance mat that covers a 10" X 15" area. (11" X 11" works great too.) I think the problem is you've compared a Walbro mat, to a Holley mat which is on two different levels. and sizes for that matter.

The fact that the siphon and FPR transfer fuel back over to the bucket only benefits the hydramat equally.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Its all about not running out of fuel in a bucket less setup around a tight right hand corner, totally pointless if you just do straight line pulls.

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
Mine is 15 x 15 so basically covers the whole right hand tank base and there is no baffles in our tanks.

Correct, i said bladders, not baffles. the center of the tank is molded to fit over the driveshaft which separates both sides quite a bit. The entire fueling system is balanced really well, and bypassing, or removing certain parts will result in one side filling up more than that other. It's fun when the passenger side fills up because you have to take a hard left turn before filling up or else the pump just vapor locks every time you pull the trigger. lol

Last edited: