Build Log: M57 X5

TwinTurboWagon

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
San Diego
What's your observation on steering feedback with the tension strut monoball? Have you given thought to using ball joint in any of the other suspension components you are replacing? For example the lower front control arm? The two replacement arms in the rear? I'm not sure what the upper wishbone in the front does, load deflection wise.

This is probably one of my favorite builds around. Please keep posting. Superb!

BTW who milled out your wheel hub centers? I need a buddy close by with a Bridgeport. No one I know at the moment has a mill big enough.

Filippo
Steering is great with the monoballs in the thrust arms, it's a subtle improvement and there isn't much negative NVH. All the other arms are with the OEM bushings.

My wheels were machined locally here in San Diego, CA.

Torgus

Major
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Steering is great with the monoballs in the thrust arms, it's a subtle improvement and there isn't much negative NVH.
Good to know there is a slight improvement...I have two sets I need to install on the X5s. Those thrust bushings wear out all the time on the X5s. The monoball should hopefully be a 1 time replacement.

X5 is looking great as always.

Did you ever figure out the intake noise issues: " There are some weird noises at partial throttle, one that sounds like a weed wacker and another that sounds like air being blown through a flexible plastic straw. I have a hunch that the straw noise is from the low pressure EGR cooler but I am in the middle of removing that and can confirm shortly. "

I've been holding off doing the air intake mod for this reason alone...

Last edited:

TwinTurboWagon

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
San Diego
Did you ever figure out the intake noise issues: " There are some weird noises at partial throttle, one that sounds like a weed wacker and another that sounds like air being blown through a flexible plastic straw. I have a hunch that the straw noise is from the low pressure EGR cooler but I am in the middle of removing that and can confirm shortly. "

I've been holding off doing the air intake mod for this reason alone...
I am pretty sure the noise is from the low pressure turbo and the EGR port, even with the EGR cooler removed and the hole plugged I believe there is internal ducting that causes the noise. I can't imagine what else it would be since all everything else is removed and this is the only difference between the X5 which makes this noise and the 335D which does not.

• 1Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Major
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
I am pretty sure the noise is from the low pressure turbo and the EGR port, even with the EGR cooler removed and the hole plugged I believe there is internal ducting that causes the noise. I can't imagine what else it would be since all everything else is removed and this is the only difference between the X5 which makes this noise and the 335D which does not.
Thanks for the reply man. BTW I just installed some LED fog light bulbs in the stock housing and holy shit they are bright. Made my last set look like stock other than the color output. I'd still like to do projectors but it is hard to justify ;) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WD6G42D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Given the 'odd noises' would you do the air intake again?

I assume the turbo whistle is even louder in the low RPMs, and the induction noise is louder under full load?

As I am often under part throttle I worry about the 'weed wacker' sound. The flexible straw noise I assume is not that annoying...

TwinTurboWagon

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
San Diego
Given the 'odd noises' would you do the air intake again?
I assume the turbo whistle is even louder in the low RPMs, and the induction noise is louder under full load?
As I am often under part throttle I worry about the 'weed wacker' sound. The flexible straw noise I assume is not that annoying...
100% would do it again, I like to hear what's going on with engines and especially turbo chargers. I wouldn't say the intake increases the whistle/spool of the turbo, that's mostly through the exhaust but it's more the sound of air suction, hissing, wooshing, etc. Aside from these sounds there isn't much change in induction sound.

I don't know the "weed wacker" sound you mention but the bendy straw sound is the most noticeable but for me I only hear it with my exhaust valve closed and the gases going through the OEM muffler. When I am driving by myself I usually have the valve open and with this exhaust setup the bendy straw noise is overpowered by the exhaust note.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
Just wanted to pop in and say your builds are amazing, like always. I want an X5 diesel after seeing this build but I don't have the chops to get it done.

I am still trying to set up my 'back-up LED' setup like you have on the M5 Wagon... parts in garage, wiring, etc... I suck :(