Technical Hydra Performance 135 Leichtbau State of the Art Thread

• Dark Theme is now available. Switch at the bottom of the page or in your preferences.

Hydra Performance

Corporal
Platinum Vendor
Jan 31, 2017
@Davidwarren
For starters you should know that my car was a bog-spec European-delivery model with no sunroof and no leather/navi/logic 7, and a quoted curb weight of 1485kg (3271lbs)

Here is what I can recall from memory, along with a few weight deltas included for good measure. Note that I ended up with a 55/45 weight distribution FWIW

17x8.5 +40 Volk TE37SLs, 14.6lbs/ea, with 245/40/17 RE71Rs, also a relatively lightweight tire for its size
(-46lbs compared to stock 18s + RFTs)
Ti wheel studs (-1lb)
Dry carbon trunk (-9lbs)
Carbon hood (-22lbs)
Recaro Pole Positions, solidly mounted with lightweight brackets (-70lbs)
Rear seat delete (-53lbs)
Rear seatbelt delete
Rear Counterweight delete (-22lbs)
Pass airbag delete (-6lbs)
Armrest delete (-6lbs)
BMS Cowl Delete (-9lbs)
Magnaflow midpipes + catback (-20lbs)
15lb LWFW
23lb OEM 35Ah MB Starter battery
//M aluminum Rear arms are marginally lighter than stock as well, as are aftermarket coilovers.

There is a fair bit of weight to be shaved in the brake system should I choose to go there, without necessarily compromising performance, and I have a carbon driveshaft planned for another -11lbs or thereabouts...

Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Wow I can't believe all the little things added up like that. I never knew the cowl delete was 9 lb either. All that rotating mass has to make huge difference to.

Sep 6, 2018
do you plan to rev this setup to 8000RPM ? N54 long block+N53 head + manual transmission

Torgus

Lieutenant
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
-46 lbs is insane per wheel. I notice a big difference in roughly 15 lbs. Are they magnesium?

That being said I dont think the cowl is 9lbs.

Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
I might finally do an infinite baffle Id max 10 in my rear armrest and pull that weight and be happy about it .

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
To prevent the pollution of one of the more interesting original content threads on the board, I've moved some posts into a new thread and reply banned a couple people. This was my own decision above and beyond any existing rules because frankly, some people only know how to 'me-too' and it is annoying. They only take time to post on this forum in response to someone else and never or seldom contribute their own news threads.

My recommendation to those who are left out, create a thread more interesting to draw attention and to display your engineering prowess. Or better yet, use the thread I created for you as a way to explain to people what you know.

Hydra Performance

Corporal
Platinum Vendor
Jan 31, 2017
Getting back on track after all the earlier nonsense, here is an interesting before/after test illustrating the gains from cams and headwork with no other changes on a Nissan RB26DETT with upgraded twins. Same car, same boost, same AFR target, and same dyno, and roughly a 25% gain in peak power with a wider powerband to boot. Keep in mind that the RB26 head is a lot better off to begin with than the N54 head, so I expect the gains we should see to be no less impressive, especially if the turbochargers in use have some flow capacity to spare, i.e. are not choked yet. Even then, reducing pumping losses (from higher VE, more exhaust duration, etc) is still worth something on a maxed out turbo combination...

027-002-ProjectCars-ProjectGTR-12-BaseVSfinal-702x527.jpg

Jul 3, 2018
Getting back on track after all the earlier nonsense, here is an interesting before/after test illustrating the gains from cams and headwork with no other changes on a Nissan RB26DETT with upgraded twins. Same car, same boost, same AFR target, and same dyno, and roughly a 25% gain in peak power with a wider powerband to boot. Keep in mind that the RB26 head is a lot better off to begin with than the N54 head, so I expect the gains we should see to be no less impressive, especially if the turbochargers in use have some flow capacity to spare, i.e. are not choked yet. Even then, reducing pumping losses (from higher VE, more exhaust duration, etc) is still worth something on a maxed out turbo combination...

View attachment 17986
Aaaaand this is why I was convinced to order cams even though few others run them right now.

langsbr

Lieutenant
Apr 5, 2017
The only issue I have with most import cams is that they don't typically increase lift very much (likely due to valve to piston contact issues) and they just increase duration. This effectively just moves the powerband to the right, extending RPM. I don't want to turn 8,000+ RPMS. Added lift makes more power everywhere, as does added head flow. I would like to see a comparison between only running a ported head vs only running a set of cams. I would think the ported head alone would be worth more for average power than cams, but perhaps not peak number.

May 23, 2017
The N53 stock cams, what kind of lift/duration do they have on the intake and exhaust side? Are all N53 engines equipped with the same cams, because I see different output N53B30 engines available?

Do you know what is the stock lift/duration for the N54 intake and exhaust side?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.