N54 - Biggest Restrictions?

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
For the biggest restrictions list, a way to control the center diff in the xi models. Not necessarily a restriction, but it would be nice to be able to display one or two Gage's on the idrive display, on the side. So you can still have stereo controls no the display while having readouts as well.

Other goals and/or thoughts to add to the list:
1000whp
9 second quarter mile run
150+ mph trap speed
Sub 1.5 second 60 ft (may have already happened?)
Pump gas 600whp setup no meth
Wireless flashing
Flashing that doesn't activate fuel pump
Intake manifold that significantly outflows stock
Stroker or big bore setup

All those upgrades would equate to the power goals.. but, I think there is a stroker for money.

I'll research and get @doublespaces to make super compiled list of possible mods even if they cost as much as the car LOL

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Yes there's a stroker motor available with drastically upgraded mains and a list of other improvements. ABR Houston punisher motor.

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
I'd love to have that engine...

3.1 liter stroker
9.5:1 compression
JE custom pistons
Proprietary ABR I beam connecting rods
ABR head and main studs
CNC ported cylinder head that outflows a similar competitor
Oversize Manley stainless intake and Iconel exhaust valves

Alex@abrhouston

Corporal
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
Houston, Texas
www.abrhouston.com
You rang? :D

Yes our stroker is the only one in the world with increased displacement. No, its not a ton- but you also have to understand that being an oversquare engine, we're approaching at-limit piston speeds..... especially if someone wants to rev higher than stock redline.
We've been using Ferrea valvetrain as of late- we used Manley when there was nothing available..... then *poof* Ferrea was in the game once we built a few. Funny how that works.

We use Ibeam vs. Hbeam rods. There's a reason. They are stronger, period. Lots of research backs this up.
NASCAR bearings that can take 2 times the PSI load of BMW bearings.
Main studs, because we feel if you're going through the trouble of a fully built engine- you might as well have it fully built.
Closed deck is our newest development, and specific running changes have happened over the 3-4 years we've offered them. No, I don't push them/advertise them as heavily as others- They were a project and I have a BMW shop to run/manage/work on... So I do Punishers as a side gig. IF things got super serious and we were selling 1-2 a month it would justify hiring someone specifically to either free me up to build them (another CPA/accountant/office manager) or hire someone and train them exactly how I want them built.

Seems the N54 market took a nose dive where "the money" is. We've got 20 N54's here in various stages of life that I work on after work and weekends. I've focused on a few S65's currently, Pauter rods/JE pistons are going in them.... and I have 3 S55's broken down getting development done on them right now for the crank hub issue (which is going to be fixed, permanently) and some fueling entertainment.

All in all, things are busy and we like making a quality product. We stand behind our work, and take care of our clients. On the other hand, you can break a bowling ball with a sponge hammer if you tune it wrong/dump tunes from one car to the other/don't know what your doing.....

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
You rang? :D

Yes our stroker is the only one in the world with increased displacement. No, its not a ton- but you also have to understand that being an oversquare engine, we're approaching at-limit piston speeds..... especially if someone wants to rev higher than stock redline.
We've been using Ferrea valvetrain as of late- we used Manley when there was nothing available..... then *poof* Ferrea was in the game once we built a few. Funny how that works.

We use Ibeam vs. Hbeam rods. There's a reason. They are stronger, period. Lots of research backs this up.
NASCAR bearings that can take 2 times the PSI load of BMW bearings.
Main studs, because we feel if you're going through the trouble of a fully built engine- you might as well have it fully built.
Closed deck is our newest development, and specific running changes have happened over the 3-4 years we've offered them. No, I don't push them/advertise them as heavily as others- They were a project and I have a BMW shop to run/manage/work on... So I do Punishers as a side gig. IF things got super serious and we were selling 1-2 a month it would justify hiring someone specifically to either free me up to build them (another CPA/accountant/office manager) or hire someone and train them exactly how I want them built.

Seems the N54 market took a nose dive where "the money" is. We've got 20 N54's here in various stages of life that I work on after work and weekends. I've focused on a few S65's currently, Pauter rods/JE pistons are going in them.... and I have 3 S55's broken down getting development done on them right now for the crank hub issue (which is going to be fixed, permanently) and some fueling entertainment.

All in all, things are busy and we like making a quality product. We stand behind our work, and take care of our clients. On the other hand, you can break a bowling ball with a sponge hammer if you tune it wrong/dump tunes from one car to the other/don't know what your doing.....
Just wondering Alex, how much is the ABR Punisher?

Doubt I'll be able to anytime soon by any means and, I'd only trust you guys for the swap and I'm all the way in NC

Alex@abrhouston

Corporal
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
Houston, Texas
www.abrhouston.com
Just wondering Alex, how much is the ABR Punisher?

Doubt I'll be able to anytime soon by any means and, I'd only trust you guys for the swap and I'm all the way in NC

It depends on the build. A *correctly* built engine with experience behind it isn't cheap. There is a bargain/discount vendor who says their product is good, yet thousands cheaper. Buyer beware.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
  • Issues with false knock on built engines

I fixed it on my closed deck motor with 2 trim pots. Was waiting for Jake Y to release knock table revisions but I jumped the gun and wired trim pots at 65k ohms into the knock sensor wires in the DME after reading this thread where Terry had a similar problem: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27845

I talked to my tuner @V8bait and he reverted me back to factory knock tables with the trim pots wired up. Worked pretty well, completely got rid of the timing corrections, and still allowed the motor to pull 9* and protect itself when my dumbass tried to do a pull without the PI controller connected lol

FoifXup.png

limitdown

Jan 30, 2018
Ride
E93 N54
Alex at ABR built me his 3.1 liter "Punisher " engine with forged rods and pistons, ported head with full Ferrea valvetrain. The engine is not louder than a factory N54. My Indy has the same car as I do and we've idled his factory engine next to mine. I've never had any false knock or any codes related to knock.

The choice of piston material and the piston to wall clearance is crucial to keeping noise down.

Alex did everything right and tight.

Clean WHP

Corporal
Apr 24, 2017
Ride
2010 135i Msport 6MT
I think a big restriction for the n54 platform as a whole are big tire options. I get really jealous of other platforms that can fit what seems to be all the tire they want under their fenders... for example c6 z06 can fit 345's on stock wheels or even some pretty insane 15 drag radials.

sure you can do a brake conversion of a 3 series and maybe even a 1 series to fit a 275/50/15 and that should be plenty of tire for the street at single turbo power levels, but still, what about drag racing.

I want to see more people do functional wide bodies for running some huge slicks at the track. Particularly a 1m conversion or n5tuner bolt on fender flares on a 1 series, and have a 325/50/16 radial or something.

Especially with cars like the e90 from motiv pushing 900+WHP.... I def think it could use a big ass radial. lets see some functional widebodies!!