N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I posted on a different forum just asking for a general ETA, i.e. 30 days or 3 - 6 monhts, along with hopefully getting some more details on if a full retune would be needed, or if existing 93 and E50 tune can be rolled into it and I haven't received a reply at all. Based on the silence I think it may be a longer wait than a shorter one. :(

Jsherry20

Sergeant
Dec 21, 2016
I posted on a different forum just asking for a general ETA, i.e. 30 days or 3 - 6 monhts, along with hopefully getting some more details on if a full retune would be needed, or if existing 93 and E50 tune can be rolled into it and I haven't received a reply at all. Based on the silence I think it may be a longer wait than a shorter one. :(
I've been waiting on this patiently to say the least, i'm really interested in how the DME will control the variation In ethanol content.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Actually I think you'd be surprised. Hang on to your butts a bit longer, I think we will hear something.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
For the N55, my bench still hasn't caught fire, but I just rewrote everything to use some new methods and ideas that are going to kick N54 ass ;) We may have half the turbos, but we have twice the flash.

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
For the N55, my bench still hasn't caught fire, but I just rewrote everything to use some new methods and ideas that are going to kick N54 ass ;) We may have half the turbos, but we have twice the flash.
Yeah... Been listening to N55 owners state how they're gonna beat our ass for ever now, you're still not there. back to the topic, UPDATEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT

This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. There's no amount of tuning that can overcome a hardware inferiority. Furthermore, you can't tune any better than the N54, just more quickly and with less effort. Assuming the hardware was identical on both motors, power would be nearly identical as well.

Reactions: LamboLover

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. There's no amount of tuning that can overcome a hardware inferiority. Furthermore, you can't tune any better than the N54, just more quickly and with less effort. Assuming the hardware was identical on both motors, power would be nearly identical as well.
Apologies. The humor didn't work. Of course I agree with you.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Gotcha. Sorry, my apologies, it's just someone dumb enough to buy an N55 in the first place is in fact dumb enough to believe that :)

It is my wife's car :) I think the N55 drives like a diesel with its stock turbo. It is a shame because it feels much happier spinning at 7000 RPM than for example the M54B30 perhaps due to the longer rods, but the turbo is all done by just over 4000 RPM if you tune it. The only thing that is an upgrade over N54 is the ECU so that has to be celebrated ;) Anyway, I should get back on topic...

The policies of individual tuners will vary and may loosen over time. The following is my opinion only and should not be taken as anyone's policy.

Complexity of transferring 93 and E50 tunes depends mainly on what you want to happen as you go over E50, and whether you are extrapolating based on estimates or interpolating based on tuning with all E85.

If your fuel system has a limit that can be reached by filling with E85, then a tuner should assume that someone one day will do so and reduce target load as ethanol increases to stay within limits.

Ignition blending at higher ethanol concentrations also needs to be considered carefully to avoid crossing MBT.

Jake's system is flexible and powerful to handle this but will need attention to detail in setup and discussion between tuners and their more aware customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: v.i.335is