N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Alright, got everything installed and Dimitri (BQTuning) shot me an initial map. Everything is running smoothly. I wanted to share some install information, though I'll also post to my build thread.

First off, there was some question about whether two ECA's could be run. I have the Continental ethanol sensor with the Fuel-It! bluetooth ECA which tells an app on my phone the current E content. This set has a raw feed wire coming out, which is then feeding the Motiv Flexfuel ECA. Works great.

For our installation, we wanted it to be clean and reversible. @barry@3DM put together a wiring scheme with Deutsche connectors. We ran the grey wire bundle through one of the rubber sleeves, and the ground correspondingly through the rear ground sleeve. No holes. It's easier to run through the rubber sleeves by disconnecting the sleeve from the electrical box. Photos are self-explanatory.

To switch back to stock and remove Motiv flex fuel, the male connector marked OE gets plugged in to its corresponding female connection.

Filippo

IMG_20180619_143124.jpg

IMG_20180629_143148.jpg

IMG_20180629_143153.jpg

IMG_20180629_151756.jpg

IMG_20180629_151805.jpg

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Finally fixed a bank 2 o2 sensor issue and was able to get a log. I've sent it to my tuner because the load and boost are really wacky thru the pull.

This is on E18.

https://datazap.me/u/langsbr/e18?log=0&data=3-12-23

Looks like the tables section of your map is still not formatted correctly, as load request is jumping up and down. I saw this in that last *.mhd file you sent me as well. Can you email me this one, and also ask your tuner to email me the actual bin file?

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Sure, I'll get it over to you in a sec. I'll let him know to send the bin file but it will likely be a few days for a response.

I think I have some e35ish logs that didn't have this problem, would that be expected with the interpolation algorithm or do you still suspect some tables are changed that need to be left alone?

Perhaps now is a good time to start fresh and tune it on my own as well.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Sure, I'll get it over to you in a sec. I'll let him know to send the bin file but it will likely be a few days for a response.

I think I have some e35ish logs that didn't have this problem, would that be expected with the interpolation algorithm or do you still suspect some tables are changed that need to be left alone?

Perhaps now is a good time to start fresh and tune it on my own as well.

No it would not happen from interpolation. One (or both) of the load request tables have to be setup screwy.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
No it would not happen from interpolation. One (or both) of the load request tables have to be setup screwy.

Dang, so what makes no sense is, the first revision I got that actually worked was only targeting 140 load and it worked fine.

https://datazap.me/u/langsbr/e47?log=1&data=23

I was then sent the revision I'm running now, but it's totally hosed. Here's an E47 log:

https://datazap.me/u/langsbr/e47?log=1&data=19-23

Is it really this difficult to get right? I know FlexFuel is new, but there was a REALLY long wait. Am I the only person having this kind of an issue. Could this be an issue with the locking of the maps, and what that function does?

Right now, I'd pay good money to get my tune as it sits (Hell, I'd take just the wastegate duty cycle tables since that's the only "weird" stuff) unlocked and let me go on my merry way.

I know tuners have to lock their maps to protect their work, but I'd absolutely pay more for tunes to not be locked.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
@langsbr it really is very straight forward. As of now there are 50+ up and running with no issues. Most have cokmentesjust how easy the tuning is.

I am sorry you are having issues, but it is a one off right now. I can't debug further until I would get the bin file from your tuner. I will be happy to take a look whenever that is.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Jake, please don't think I'm frustrated with you or the product. Quite the opposite, I'm very pleased with everything. My frustration stems from my tuner's initial dismissal of the issue, to next saying there was nothing they could do, to finally accepting there was an issue, and then still not having it resolved.

One thing I would ask, or suggest as a feature request. The ability to leave the flex fuel module connected, but run a non flex fuel map. It may not apply to everyone so I understand if it's not top priority, but right now my choice is either to run the map with wacky load, or uninstall the FF module.

I did just get a new mhd update, but now it's raining, so I'll have to wait another day to see if it fixes it. There was no mention if the bin would be sent to you to double check, which unfortunately is how the majority of the emails go; just a map update and no acknowledgement of anything in the prior email.

Are there any tuners out there that don't lock their maps?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Amazing how well Motiv flex fuel works It's almost like magic, with instant power increase ...

Filippo

Screenshot_20180701-201953.png

Reactions: MDORPHN

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Yo, the harness replaces the existing pins in the sub connectors? Existing pins just null at that point, correct?

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
According to the original info, no, you must have a flex fuel formatted bin when the hardware is installed or you'll get codes. Not sure on how bad it would be or if it would drive.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Got everything in the tune sorted and testing different concentrations of E. For a moment on this latest map, I feared the fluctuating load issue was back, but I see that it is the tune responding to the change in ethanol percentage. It's really odd that it went to 100% ethanol for that 300 rpm span.

@jyamona, is that normal that it would be that responsive, or should there be some sort of "smoothing". Since there is pretty much no chance that I had 100% ethanol at that moment, what would your suggestion be? Water contamination? My ethanol is a couple weeks old, but stored in an airtight container with no outside exposure. That's my suspicion for now unless someone has any other ideas.

E42 - MMP S3 - VRSF Race - E90 6MT
https://datazap.me/u/langsbr/log-1530762584?log=2&data=3-12-18-19-23

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Alright, got everything installed and Dimitri (BQTuning) shot me an initial map. Everything is running smoothly. I wanted to share some install information, though I'll also post to my build thread.

First off, there was some question about whether two ECA's could be run. I have the Continental ethanol sensor with the Fuel-It! bluetooth ECA which tells an app on my phone the current E content. This set has a raw feed wire coming out, which is then feeding the Motiv Flexfuel ECA. Works great.

For our installation, we wanted it to be clean and reversible. @barry@3DM put together a wiring scheme with Deutsche connectors. We ran the grey wire bundle through one of the rubber sleeves, and the ground correspondingly through the rear ground sleeve. No holes. It's easier to run through the rubber sleeves by disconnecting the sleeve from the electrical box. Photos are self-explanatory.

To switch back to stock and remove Motiv flex fuel, the male connector marked OE gets plugged in to its corresponding female connection.

Filippo

View attachment 12658
View attachment 12659
View attachment 12660
View attachment 12661
View attachment 12662

Filippo,

This make so much sense for easily disconnecting the FlexFuel kit when desired - whether back to stock or for experimenting with new tunes. I’d like to do this too, and I’m sure others are as well. If it’s not too much trouble, can you please share a link to where we can also purchase these connectors?

Thanks again for your valuable participation to the forum and to the N54 community.

Reactions: fmorelli

noorj

Corporal
Jul 12, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ride
'07 E90 335i
Got everything in the tune sorted and testing different concentrations of E. For a moment on this latest map, I feared the fluctuating load issue was back, but I see that it is the tune responding to the change in ethanol percentage. It's really odd that it went to 100% ethanol for that 300 rpm span.

@jyamona, is that normal that it would be that responsive, or should there be some sort of "smoothing". Since there is pretty much no chance that I had 100% ethanol at that moment, what would your suggestion be? Water contamination? My ethanol is a couple weeks old, but stored in an airtight container with no outside exposure. That's my suspicion for now unless someone has any other ideas.

E42 - MMP S3 - VRSF Race - E90 6MT
https://datazap.me/u/langsbr/log-1530762584?log=2&data=3-12-18-19-23

Yeah that could be dangerous, if you're running a lower E content and it jumps to 100% it'll run pretty aggressive boost/timing/fueling. Given that ethanol sensor voltage also spikes there I would start by looking into the wiring. Where did you ground it and where are you getting power from?

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I hadn't even thought of it in the terms of running 93 and it spiking to 40 or so. That would indeed raise all the targets. I was thinking it had to be water since it spiked all the way to 100%. I have it grounded at the point in the instructions, and power via the tap provided on the green connector. It was only for a 300 rpm span, which was likely less than a second, so perhaps wiring isn't the cause.